Mandatory Minimums - Off we go to the SCOC

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Really? I would put my education up against yours anytime but im not here to throw insults like you. If you have a reference to where the CCA says we are not allowed to own weapons please do post it. If you can provide a piece of legislation that does not restrict or take away individual freedom then put it up. I am 99.9% sure you can do neither of these so you may want to keep your childish retorts to yourself, they make you look stupid.

The Govt is able to legislate and pass laws. If they are overturned it would be by the SCOC. Now back to school.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think you might want to reread his post. Nothing you've said addresses his post.

I put his question in the same pot as those that state we do not legally have to pay income tax.

But here it is
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/Const/page-5.html#s_91
Legislative Authority of Parliament of Canada

91. It shall be lawful for the Queen, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate and House of Commons, to make Laws for the Peace, Order, and good Government of Canada, in relation to all Matters not coming within the Classes of Subjects by this Act assigned exclusively to the Legislatures of the Provinces; and for greater Certainty, but not so as to restrict the Generality of the foregoing Terms of this Section, it is hereby declared that (notwithstanding anything in this Act) the exclusive Legislative Authority of the Parliament of Canada extends to all Matters coming within the Classes of Subjects next hereinafter enumerated; that is to say,

27.The Criminal Law, except the Constitution of Courts of Criminal Jurisdiction, but including the Procedure in Criminal Matters.

Last edited:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
In the paper this morning, and it obliquely is relevant, a reader observed, "Why do we in Canada have to keep the pandas for ten years, when the Chinese only had Harper for a week? We've been out manoeuvred again!"

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I put his question in the same pot as those that state we do not legally have to pay income tax.

But here it is
Constitution Acts, 1867 to 1982

91. It shall be lawful for the Queen, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate and House of Commons, to make Laws for the Peace, Order, and good Government of Canada, in relation to all Matters not coming within the Classes of Subjects by this Act assigned exclusively to the Legislatures of the Provinces; and for greater Certainty, but not so as to restrict the Generality of the foregoing Terms of this Section, it is hereby declared that (notwithstanding anything in this Act) the exclusive Legislative Authority of the Parliament of Canada extends to all Matters coming within the Classes of Subjects next hereinafter enumerated; that is to say,

27.The Criminal Law, except the Constitution of Courts of Criminal Jurisdiction, but including the Procedure in Criminal Matters.

I guess you don't understand what he said.
Nothing in what you posted is incorrect, but it also does not contract or address his comment.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

But here it is
Constitution Acts, 1867 to 1982

I read that twice and did not see a reference to ownership of weapons anywhere. Maybe you would like some time to try again.

Still waiting for that statute that doesn't take away my individual freedom in some way.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I guess you don't understand what he said.
Nothing in what you posted is incorrect, but it also does not contract or address his comment.

The question was - If you have a reference to where the CCA says we are not allowed to own weapons please do post it

He was asking about prohibition of weapons. The various constitutions and amendments give the authority to pass laws either to the Fed or Prov level. To state that where does it state weapons cannot be acquired in my opinion idiotic.

The constitutional Acts cannot cover all laws present and see into the future what laws will be required. It also cannot predict what technologies will be available, what laws will be required for the "Laws for the Peace, Order, and good Government of Canada, in relation to all Matters".
Reason why Parliament or the Provincial legislatures have that ability. To make and pass laws. So I do believe I answered as best as possible.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The question was - If you have a reference to where the CCA says we are not allowed to own weapons please do post it

He was asking about prohibition of weapons. The various constitutions and amendments give the authority to pass laws either to the Fed or Prov level. To state that where does it state weapons cannot be acquired in my opinion idiotic.

The constitutional Acts cannot cover all laws present and see into the future what laws will be required. It also cannot predict what technologies will be available, what laws will be required for the "Laws for the Peace, Order, and good Government of Canada, in relation to all Matters".
Reason why Parliament or the Provincial legislatures have that ability. To make and pass laws. So I do believe I answered as best as possible.

So are you saying me, or any other normal person, owning a gun is detrimental to peace and good order? I believe my ownership of a pistol is beneficial to peace and good order if I only use it for protection of my family and property.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
So are you saying me, or any other normal person, owning a gun is detrimental to peace and good order? I believe my ownership of a pistol is beneficial to peace and good order if I only use it for protection of my family and property.

Would you agree that because Pedophilia is not mentioned that it is beneficial to the good order of Canada.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Would you agree that because Pedophilia is not mentioned that it is beneficial to the good order of Canada.

Of course not, that is just an inflamatory statement.

Me giving a burglar a permanent limp and a severe case of lead poisoning is beneficial.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Why should he know? I have no idea what all are considered "illegal" weapons.
Ignorance of the law, is no excuse.

Possession, yes. Did he own it? No. Was he in possession of it for the purpose of a indictable offense? No.
Illegal possession is an indictable offence.

Lots of things the police and crown consider serious. Thank God they are not the ones that actually decide in the end and hand out punishment.
I absolutely agree, but it is one of the reasons I avoid committing indictable offences.

Good of you to admit that, too bad you hadn't admitted that at the beginning and saved everyone a lot of reading and writing.
Well I was kind of hoping someone would put forth a reasoned basis, for the claims being made in this thread.

We have thread after thread where guns and responsible people who own guns are railed with all manner of negativity. And here we have an unlicensed, person playing with a restricted weapon in the home of a cousin, about to be served. I know the laws involving weapons, I also know who in my family is running contrary to the law. I avoid them, and I avoid breaking those laws.

We have all manner of minimums in our daily lives, from the minimum amount of work we are required to do, to the minimum amount your parking ticket fine will be.

Nope,I don't...... What I see is a lage omnibus bill that was passed in a hurry because it had been dropped the year before, and now is beeing used as a club by the usual media...That poor stupid fool is beeing used to attack the the Harper government......Then later He will be used as an example by the same media to say "Look what the proliferation of guns is doing" after they remove the registration porcess for long guns.
The Judge in this case is being heralded as some genius, when in fact, I've come to the conclusion after reading a bit about her, that she's an anti authority crusader.

Anyway, the good thing about this is that it is just the natural repercussion that comes with stupid policy. The more stubbornly the government attacks crime in a roughshod, ideological manner, the more it will come back to bite them in the ass when the real cases begin.
Aren't you one of the anti gun nutters?

And then we all get to laugh at the CPC! :)
I laugh at most politicians and their ramblings. But people like you are far better punchlines.

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Of course not, that is just an inflamatory statement.

Me giving a burglar a permanent limp and a severe case of lead poisoning is beneficial.

Not inflammatory at all. Just as idiotic as the question you posed to me.

And that is why under the Constitution Parliament passes legislation to prevent the law of the jungle types from running rampant.
But I do believe I answered your question.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Ignorance of the law, is no excuse.

Yup, that's what the police, crown, and judges all say. I don't agree. Willful ignorance is one thing. Not knowing the ins and outs of a set of laws that do not normally apply to you is not willful.

Illegal possession is an indictable offence.

and obviously this judge and I concur in that under circumstances like this it should NOT be an indictable offence but instead should fall under a summary conviction.

I absolutely agree, but it is one of the reasons I avoid committing indictable offences.

actually, it's a good reason to avoid any and all offenses, indictable or otherwise.

Well I was kind of hoping someone would put forth a reasoned basis, for the claims being made in this thread.

and what claims, exactly, do you have a problem with?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

And did you find anywhere in the CCA where weapons are banned? No, you didn't. Because it's not there. That's his point. You've gone off on a tangent, which is a pleasant place to go, but that's not his point.

If I want a glass of milk, and you point out that the local 7-11 has a sale on coffee, that's great, but it's not the point.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
And did you find anywhere in the CCA where weapons are banned? No, you didn't. Because it's not there. That's his point. You've gone off on a tangent, which is a pleasant place to go, but that's not his point.

If I want a glass of milk, and you point out that the local 7-11 has a sale on coffee, that's great, but it's not the point.

The CCA does not mention a host of things - Why should it? It covers rights, powers etc. So his question was in my humble opinion just BS. His question and answer is covered by the CCA. So he has his answer in my opinion.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yup, that's what the police, crown, and judges all say. I don't agree. Willful ignorance is one thing. Not knowing the ins and outs of a set of laws that do not normally apply to you is not willful.
If you are about to pick up a loaded weapon, and play with it, you should know the laws regarding that act.

If you drive a car, you have to know the rules and laws of the road. Just because you don't have a license, doesn't mean they don't apply.

and obviously this judge and I concur in that under circumstances like this it should NOT be an indictable offence but instead should fall under a summary conviction.
As a firearm owner, I disagree. It's clowns like Smikle, that drop loaded weapons, and/or sometimes kill people, accidentally. That increase scrutiny placed on lawful gun owners like myself.

What if he had killed a kid?

Do we wait for the worst, before we take a tough stance on illegal possession firearms?

and what claims, exactly, do you have a problem with?
A lot of the usual rhetoric found on page one. The fact that the Judge stated it was cruel and unusual punishment, that many here agree. Yet I haven't seen anything but kneejerk opinion (Apart from the usual anti Harper Conservative nonsense) to support that claim.

I find the sentence of three years, neither cruel nor unusual.

He was found in the company of known criminals, in possession of an illegal, restricted firearm.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
well. We will have to agree to disagree as I agree with the Judge, and disagree with you and Harper.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
well. We will have to agree to disagree as I agree with the Judge, and disagree with you and Harper.
Fair enough, but I don't necessarily agree with Harper on mandatory minimums.

I just don't agree with the premise that three years for possession of an illegal restricted firearm, is cruel and unusual.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Fair enough, but I don't necessarily agree with Harper on mandatory minimums.

I just don't agree with the premise that three years for possession of an illegal restricted firearm, is cruel and unusual.

No record - Family - plain dumb thing to do. The sentence he received was fair. Harpers is taking Canadian down the same road the US did. And it does not work.
Man Mins for certain offenses - Violence using a weapon - knives, bats, guns - using a weapon, a gun to commit a crime - that I can agree with.