First Nations Treaties

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
OK, serious point here. I was speaking with one person from the AFN not long ago, and she'd told me that they were having a hard time with the Harper Conservative government because the Conservatives were trying to pressure them to 'become Canadian' (her words not mine), but saying that the First Nations would never accept that.

As much as we might like it, they have not surrendred their land. it is still unrelinquished land, thus in their eyes, usurped.

Legally, they're right.
lol I think Canadians could be better off becoming Anishinabek or Salish or Inu than by trying to convert us to whatever it is a Canadian is (American wannabe?). :D

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
and I've already covered what I think of those "treaties". Retaining soveriegnty was a mistake to offer, and needs to be rectified if Canada is to continue as a strong cohesive Country.

The "Six Nations" haven't been a "nation" for decades, and was at best a loose coalition that the French and English quickley proved could be split when the chips were down.

The MWS are nothing but thugs. Canada made a mistake at OKA. What should have been done is the regular forces sent in with the sole purpose of taking out and eliminating the MWS for once and for all. The people of Canada should ensure that if the same situation was to rear it's ugly head again, that our polititions know that we support the use of force to ensure a final solution.
Ugh, me name Gerry. Me get club and fix everything. lmao Ugh. Better yet, me get other people to kill and get killed so I can sit back and watch. I need entertainment. Ugh

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
When you run low on cash, can you just arbitrarily tell your mortgage company to lower your rates?

Wrong again, they broke off one small faction of Mohawk. The Nations stand united to this day.

Final solution?

Ya vole mien fuhrer.

All I can say is bring it. I'm willing to join in. I will fight to maintain my right to sovereignty. So long the battle righteous, I'll be the fat one in war paint, sportin' the crossbow and the C7.

BTW: You mock the MWS all you want, you and I are both aware that its day came and went. Any group that would take my brothers, isn't all that wise, nor intelligent. But you want to see a resugence, an influx of recruitment and volunteers? Push us hard, break your words with us.

I'll bet we even get US support in southern Kebec.
And I bet that this kind of stupidity would even convince a few Ukrainian people, black people, Irish people, etc. to side with us.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I don't agree with all the details here, but the general thrust, yes. In the old days we had segregation and denied rights for women. blacks, and Indians. Now the world is into giving people rights and giving Indians rights as everyday Cdns is what most people agree with.

Only a few well paid elitists on the white and Indian side understand the business of treaties. The rest are poor Indians who can't get decent housing or education, and the rest are white Cdns who don't care about Indians at all because they don't have to. With their corrupt backward traditional leadership, Indians will never progress unless they become Cdns.
lol.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The crown is definitely an impediment to treaties. the British crown made treaties and now the Cdn crown is stuck with them. We're no longer British like we were, or in 1763, in fact, Canada as we know it did not exist then. The day of treaties is long gone like the meaning the crown used to have amongst the people.

Give about 20 years notice, and each aboriginal about $15000 year for adjusting. For many, the land on their reserve isn't worth much, but for some near Vancouver, it's worth a fortune.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: The Crown as an Impediment

The Crown of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, for the purposes of those treaties, is the same as The Crown of Canada, dumpthemonarchy. The Canadian Crown is everything that the British Crown was before Confederation, and then became a separate institution. Those treaties are just as much Canadian as they are British, and I would argue moreso. They were negotiated with the decided end-result of a stable and prosperous colony (read: Canada).

I don’t think that The Crown has lost its meaning—and I would even venture to say that this is particularly so with Canada’s Aboriginal peoples. A vast majority of these treaties are not an agreement between a people and a Government—they are a treaty between a people and The Crown, the very sovereignty and entity of Canada as a nation, not an administration or a governing party. It is extremely important that we deal with the treaty issue properly—and that means that we can revoke these treaties only through proper constitutional channels, and with the participation and agreement of a majority of the Aboriginal community. We cannot strip the special status that has been for centuries a constitutional fact, without risking violence, upheaval and the scorn of the United Nations and our neighbours on the world stage.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The crown is definitely an impediment to treaties. the British crown made treaties and now the Cdn crown is stuck with them. We're no longer British like we were, or in 1763, in fact, Canada as we know it did not exist then. The day of treaties is long gone like the meaning the crown used to have amongst the people.

Give about 20 years notice, and each aboriginal about $15000 year for adjusting. For many, the land on their reserve isn't worth much, but for some near Vancouver, it's worth a fortune.
Woot! I'll take my 300K now please. (I've already "adjusted" and would love to go visit Kiwi and a couple Aussie friends). People like my Dad adjust to anything and can still retain the old ways). :D People like the Okanagans have "adjusted" and are keeping their traditions as well as using Canadian ways.
BTW, what that 300K adds up to is $4,900,500,000,000,000,000 over 20 years. I don't think taxpayers would like the idea.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Are you out of your tree???????? We've given those whiny little children and leeches enough already. As I said, at the most 10k and then it's sink or swim. No more paying for their booze.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Ugh, me name Gerry. Me get club and fix everything. lmao Ugh. Better yet, me get other people to kill and get killed so I can sit back and watch. I need entertainment. Ugh

falling back into your ancestors limited vocal skills I see.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
lol I think Canadians could be better off becoming Anishinabek or Salish or Inu than by trying to convert us to whatever it is a Canadian is (American wannabe?). :D

Cut off the money supply and we'll see how long before they come crawling.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Have you noticed how most new oil or minerals and ALL the kimberlite are on worthless scrap land set aside for reserves?

and your point is? The average Canadian citizen does not own the mineral rights to the land they are sitting on, and it should be the same for everyone.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
and your point is? The average Canadian citizen does not own the mineral rights to the land they are sitting on, and it should be the same for everyone.

The point is: Who's doing the crawling? Mineral rights mean bugger all if you can't get to the site to excavate.

BTW ... you know what the word "should" is worth don't you?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Hey, this gives me an idea. What if the First Nations were free to grant 'citizenship' to those Canadians who pass their 'citizenship' tests? Now that might be an incentive to learn the culture. After all, let's face it, which side of the Treaty would anyone want to be on?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
We prefer the term “Mandated Socially-responsible State Advocates,” Bear!
And you can have it.

I know gambling is legal across most of Canada. Heck, even the government is involved in it (Lotto 649). And guess who buys those lotto tickets usually. It's not the rich guy, but rather the poor sucker just getting suckered in yet again by his very own government that's supposed to be protecting his interests by giving him the false hope of winning the lottery as his ticket out of hell. How just is that?

So if a saleman goes out to try to con some poor old lady with minimal education,that's OK, buyer beware, it's her fault and she should ahve known better and it's not up to the government to prohibit at least those harmful activities that it can reasonably control to some degree? If a child is born to a poor home, he doesn't deserve to learn to read and write? Let him fend for himself? Har far do we go in getting rid of the nanny state?
So what should we criminalize, and what not? What about opium? Legalize it and let people be?
Start a thread, this isn't it.
use it or lose it.
So I can go squat on some unused land anywhere I find it? :lol:

I don't agree with all the details here, but the general thrust, yes. In the old days we had segregation and denied rights for women. blacks, and Indians. Now the world is into giving people rights and giving Indians rights as everyday Cdns is what most people agree with.

Only a few well paid elitists on the white and Indian side understand the business of treaties. The rest are poor Indians who can't get decent housing or education, and the rest are white Cdns who don't care about Indians at all because they don't have to. With their corrupt backward traditional leadership, Indians will never progress unless they become Cdns.
:lol:...Ya ok. Stop making assumptions based on media hyperbole.

I'd hate to be the politician who tried to squelch the treaties. Their own party would probably shoot them. lol
Agreed.

And I bet that this kind of stupidity would even convince a few Ukrainian people, black people, Irish people, etc. to side with us.
Maybe.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Cut off the money supply and we'll see how long before they come crawling.
lol Canada can take back the rezzes and give them the land they had before Eyropeans came along and screwed everything up, in that case. They never needed money before then.
Guess that points to the fact that a lot of what the Europeans brought with them was screwed up to begin with.
Anyway, Pilgrim, if you don't like it start a petition or lobby the gov't, because there's no point snivelling about it here other than trolling.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Hey, this gives me an idea. What if the First Nations were free to grant 'citizenship' to those Canadians who pass their 'citizenship' tests? Now that might be an incentive to learn the culture. After all, let's face it, which side of the Treaty would anyone want to be on?
I would think people would want to be on the sensible side. (That'd be the side where everyone benefits).