Ft.McMurray Work

TennilleMLR

Apr 21, 2009
Hi, i am a girl, 18 years old, i have a highschool diploma, i am wondering if there is good paying work in fort mac for me, how do i find out this information?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
No get your education first unless you want to be a waitress, maid, cook, drug dealer etc.....

Seriously i know dudes that went there without there high school and they only got in mostly as general labourers... And even then they still had to do extra time after work just to earn there welding tickets...

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Johnnny 3ns has some good advice. Now is a good opportunity for you to seek some post secondary education. It will help you land that plumb job in a few years when the economy is back on track. Check out some of the incentives offered by the federal government in the latest budget for kids like yourself.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Tennile,
They are laying off up there.
Alberta has the highest rate per capta of job losses in Canada.
There are going to be layoffs going on for a while up there.

I would advise against wasting your time and money going there.

Do as others are suggesting and learn some skills or get an education.

Trex

TennilleMLR

Apr 21, 2009
work

I'm going to post-secondary for nursing and business , i jus wanted to save up a bunch of money before i go to school so i dont have to work part time while im in school because its going to be hard.
i had a friend that was a girl that worked down there on the rigs and she made a bunch of money so i thought it would be the smart thing to do before school.
but thanks for the advice

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm going to post-secondary for nursing and business , i jus wanted to save up a bunch of money before i go to school so i dont have to work part time while im in school because its going to be hard.
i had a friend that was a girl that worked down there on the rigs and she made a bunch of money so i thought it would be the smart thing to do before school.
but thanks for the advice

You're about a year too late to make good money at it. The rig count in Alberta is low enough that an inexperienced hand isn't going to find work (especially a woman), and the same goes for jobs in the camps.

Might I suggest you look into whether or not there are any roadwork jobs coming up near you, running graders, packers, etc. for highway construction. Competition will be tight for any job right now, but, best of luck.