Ron Paul tells it like it is about the 'Victory'

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I'd do some research on this guy before you make that statement.

Known as the "Grandfather of the Tea Party".

But it was a good speech. He makes a lot of sense.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Rep. Ron Paul is a unique Republican, a hardcore libertarian (meaning he's really anti-war). Although, I would even dispute his anti-war credentials. When he says he voted in 2001 to authorize the U.S. to fight terrorism, what he means is he voted for the U.S. authorization to invade Afghanistan immediately after 9/11, not a very libertarian, anti-war thing to do.

While being anti-war or trying to be anti-war is a good thing, he also carries with him the other baggage that a hardcore libertarian has. That is, dramatically opposing government's role on social issues, for example. He probably thinks Canada is somewhat evil because of its health care system.

Also, Paul is probably racist. Seriously. He has this lingering controversy about him supposedly saying not nice things about Martin Luther King Jr. Day, as an example. Although, in his defense, he claims it wasn't him saying that. Instead it was someone writing under his name. If anyone really buys that explanation.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I would barter racism for anti-war twice faster than conservatives turn a blind eye to it in favour of the economy.

The end of war is the most valuable thing we can ever achieve.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Also, Paul is probably racist. Seriously. He has this lingering controversy about him supposedly saying not nice things about Martin Luther King Jr. Day, as an example. Although, in his defense, he claims it wasn't him saying that. Instead it was someone writing under his name. If anyone really buys that explanation.

Typical liberal racist. That is all the democrats do, pull the race card. What a bunch of racist.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
I would barter racism for anti-war twice faster than conservatives turn a blind eye to it in favour of the economy..

Sorry, I got to say I can't do that. Racism is kind of a disqualifying factor for being a good political leader, me thinks.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Typical liberal racist. That is all the democrats do, pull the race card. What a bunch of racist.

Right, well, there's actually hard evidence of racism when it comes to Ron Paul, so no pulling the race card here. It's all pretty empirical in his case.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Sorry, I got to say I can't do that. Racism is kind of a disqualifying factor for being a good political leader, me thinks.

As much as I loathe racism, I would trade dropping bombs for racial slurs any day.

We all need to be socially progressive to enhance society - but at a base level, war is the worst damage we can do not only to others, but to ourselves.

At the end of the day, words can be terrible, but bullet wounds are worse.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Right, well, there's actually hard evidence of racism when it comes to Ron Paul, so no pulling the race care here. It's all pretty empirical in this case.

There is also pretty hard evidence that the biggest racist of all are Democrats. In fact they went to war to keep slaves. Imagine going to war for the perpetuation of enslaving others!

As much as I loathe racism, I would trade dropping bombs for racial slurs any day.

Well... then you're probably a racist.

(see sarcasm)

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
There is also pretty hard evidence that the biggest racist of all are Democrats. In fact the went to war to keep slaves. Imagine going to war for the perpetuation of enslaving others!

Sure, we can talk about the Southern Democrats history of racism, but it doesn't apply to Ron Paul's writings. So, your Honor, I object to this line of reasoning, on the ground of relevance.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Sure, we can talk about the Southern Democrats history of racism, but it doesn't apply to Ron Paul's writings. So, your Honor, I object to this line of reasoning, on the ground of relevance.

I object to you saying "He's probably a racist" when it really has nothing to do with Floss's thread.

You're just being... well a liberal democrat. Calling people racist at every turn, when the fact of the matter is that the most deepest racial hatred was spawned by the Democrats. It still is.

Not just southern Democrats.... Democrats. Many northerners in the Democrat party wanted the perpetuation of slavery.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
I object to you saying "He's probably a racist" when it really has nothing to do with Floss's thread.

You're just being... well a liberal democrat. Calling people racist at every turn, when the fact of the matter is that the most deepest racial hatred was spawned by the Democrats. It still is.

And your objection is overruled because me pointing out Paul's racist papers is perfectly relevant to a thread about whether Paul's a good politician or not.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And your objection is overruled because me pointing out Paul's racist papers is perfectly relevant to a thread about whether Paul's a good politician or not.

Was that the thread title?

Floss likes that he ripped into the persecution of the war, and the costs, etc and that he was a member of the GOP.

You, as a Democrat will... brought race into this for no reason. Obviously to cover your own racist beliefs.

FAILED

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Doesn't matter whether it's the thread title or not. The first line of the opening post is "I'm really starting to like this guy". If the guy that he's supposedly really starting to like writes stuff like this ...

"Boy, it sure burns me to have a national holiday for that pro-communist philanderer Martin Luther King. I voted against this outrage time and time again as a Congressman. What an infamy that Ronald Reagan approved it! We can thank him for our annual Hate Whitey Day."

...then yeah, it's on topic to point that out before the author of the thread makes his decision about liking the guy.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Doesn't matter whether it's the thread title or not. The first line of the opening post is "I'm really starting to like this guy". If the guy that he's supposedly really starting to like writes stuff like this ...

"I'm really starting to like this guy"

Hmmm. No, I don't see how that is an opening to call him a racist.

"Boy, it sure burns me to have a national holiday for that pro-communist philanderer Martin Luther King. I voted against this outrage time and time again as a Congressman. What an infamy that Ronald Reagan approved it! We can thank him for our annual Hate Whitey Day."

...then yeah, it's on topic to point that out before the author of the thread makes his decision about liking the guy.

Perhaps he is a Grand Dragon of the KKK. Oh no, that was lifelong Democrat Senator Robert Byrd.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Perhaps he is a Grand Dragon of the KKK. Oh no, that was lifelong Democrat Senator Robert Byrd.

You're deflecting this Ron Paul racism stuff all over the place, pointing to other people and things. Kind of crazy.

This seems like were you and I are at an impasse. Me bringing up Paul's writings seemed perfectly on topic. You yourself told Floss he should learn more about Paul in, like, the second post in this thread.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You're deflecting this Ron Paul racism stuff all over the place, pointing to other people and things. Kind of crazy.

This seems like were you and I are at an impasse. Me bringing up Paul's writings seemed perfectly on topic.

Aren't you? He's talking about the war and his opposition... and you say he's "probably a racist". You say that because he's a Republican.

So I say...

Democrats have always been racist and pit poor and middle class white people against poor and middle class African-Americans. That is the only way they can survive.

Fair Game.