Who do you call a war hero?

benny_patrick7

Feb 1, 2007
I am talking about McCain and I am trying to understand why they call him war hero. Let us see: he was flying over Vietnam, bombing civilian population, killing women and children and burning them with napalm. He was shot down over Hanoi (which is certainly not a military target); he surrendered to the enemy and spent most of the time as prisoner of war, while others risked their lives. Now, how does all this justify to call a war hero.

If he is war hero, how would you call a guy, who refused to surrender, who fought the enemy to the last bullet and died fighting?

Fabrikant

Reactions: gopher

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I am talking about McCain and I am trying to understand why they call him war hero. Let us see: he was flying over Vietnam, bombing civilian population, killing women and children and burning them with napalm. He was shot down over Hanoi (which is certainly not a military target); he surrendered to the enemy and spent most of the time as prisoner of war, while others risked their lives. Now, how does all this justify to call a war hero.

If he is war hero, how would you call a guy, who refused to surrender, who fought the enemy to the last bullet and died fighting?

Fabrikant

McCain chose to remain in the `Hanoi Hilton` refusing to be released. Perhaps this was out of guilt about his missions.
McCain also claims that he was in the thick of the `Cuban Crisis` as a pilot.
Does self-imposed imprisonment or involvement in a possible nuclear crisis equate a `war hero`?

I have no idea.
The word hero is bandied about too much.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Fabrikant

John McCain, Hero (Wizbang)

The North Vietnamese understood that Commander McCain's father was Admiral McCain, and from the beginning tried to use this for propaganda purposes. While men like John Kerry played the system in order to go home early from the war, Commander McCain repeatedly refused special treatment and offers to be set free ahead of men he knew had been longer in captivity. He also refused attempts by the North Vietnamese to use him in propaganda films, and for this was designated for "special treatment", a regimen of regular torture and deprivation that killed most men who suffered it. In the first six weeks of his imprisonment, McCain lost 50 pounds and temporarily the use of his arms and legs; when he was finally allowed to share a cell with two other officers, his condition was so grave that they did not expect him to survive for more than a week. His fellow officers nursed McCain to somewhat better health, and for this were assigned to different quarters. McCain again refused to cooperate with the North Vietnamese and he was locked in a muddy room with no windows, a tin roof and only two holes drilled in to keep him from suffocating, and McCain was kept there for two years.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
McCain chose to remain in the `Hanoi Hilton` refusing to be released. Perhaps this was out of guilt about his missions.
McCain also claims that he was in the thick of the `Cuban Crisis` as a pilot.
Does self-imposed imprisonment or involvement in a possible nuclear crisis equate a `war hero`?

I have no idea.
The word hero is bandied about too much.

Please, read the article I posted above..........McCain is an honourable man who voluntarily suffered much in an attempt to help his comrades......that is the very definition of Hero.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Please, read the article I posted above..........McCain is an honourable man who voluntarily suffered much in an attempt to help his comrades......that is the very definition of Hero.
Colpy, I thank you for that. I can say now without doubt that John McCain was a hero.
Sincere Regards,
scratch

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Yes, Just to have survived is heroic- I am concerned though aabout his hot temper and greivences he might hold for his former captors. As a President, I think a person should be slow to boil. 2 years in solitary plus torture has got to test your sanity a bit, add to that 4 bouts with skin cancer and i'd say he's been through the mill.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
That is the most outrageous smear I have ever seen!

Gopher.....hang your head in shame......that outdoes "Obama is a Muslim terrorist sympathizer"!!!!!!

Not one bit of evidence.

they even admit he refused to be repatriated.........then say it was so he wouldn't ruin his (then non-existent) political career!!!!!!!

Unbelieveable.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
"most outrageous smear I have ever seen"

You didn't see the video otherwise you would know that one of its biggest spokesmen was ultra conservative Republican Robert Dornan.

As I have said before, it is obvious you do not understand American politics. It's a good thing the mods did not make you moderator in the USA section.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
McCain is a psycopathic scum bag, he always was, even as a kid he was bent like a used nail and stupid in school. His old man got him all the plumbs he couldn't get himself. But for an American politician he's about average.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
"for an American politician he's about average. "

Unfortunately, Colpy only has a superficial understanding of USA politics. If he had done his homework, he would know that except for Nixon, McCain was the most heavily criticized Republican pol by members of his own party in modern history.

The fact that Republicans fail to criticize him today as they used to do shows that this party and its membership does not stand for principle as doing so entails having moral integrity.

As for him being "average", that is generally correct except that he is the BIGGEST flip flop in political history. Again, if Colpy would only bother to do his home work he would know about it.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Fabrikant

Well besides his continual crashes of his planes and not paying attention in his training to know how to eject out of his plane at one time.... most call him a war hero because they tried to tade him off in a POW exchange for political purposes because his daddy was a top badge in the military and would have done some political damage for the US's war, his father and himself.

They all call him a war hero because he stuck to the "First man in, first man out" process. They tried to bump him ahead of others, but he decided to let others leave by order before him.

Does that make him a war hero? In my books no, since he was simply following orders like every other POW there. If he did jump on the chance and left for back home when he could, he'd probably get his ass kicked by the other POW's before he got out of his bed.

The only reason why he's considered a war hero is because he was thrown in front of the camera more then others to help with propaganda for the war and because of his daddy's position in the military. Nothing more.

Then again, the War Hero title does do good for brownie points in an election I suppose.

Last edited:

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Audie Murphy, a true war hero. That's my definition of one.
Definition of hero: A man of distinguished valor or enterprise in danger, or
fortitude in suffering; a prominent or central personage
in any remarkable action or event; hence, a great or
illustrious person.