CNN dukes it out with Michael Moore

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The problem is for the most part Moore is right. The news coverage on almost every network isn't worth watching. News is more about entertainment, and opinionated chat rather than about facts.
CNN and Fox News were little more than cheer leader sections for the Bush Administration and the facts be damned, now people have turned against the war and these networks are looking for ways to save face.
Really what is important about OJ or Paris going to jail, who really cares.
The biggest problem is the news machines, TV Radio, and Cable networks are owned by the very people who support Bush for the most part, and the whole story is not being told, so on we can do is speculate on what is true. | am not happy about this, as years ago I was a newsman and I tell ya the news aint really news anymore.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
well i think they called it when they pointed out the publicity angle....
flogging a documentry about 9/11 then guns is one thing , but hospitol care...i mean he is gonna need some drastic plubicity stunts to get the audiance

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
The problem is for the most part Moore is right. The news coverage on almost every network isn't worth watching. News is more about entertainment, and opinionated chat rather than about facts.
CNN and Fox News were little more than cheer leader sections for the Bush Administration and the facts be damned, now people have turned against the war and these networks are looking for ways to save face.
The biggest problem is the news machines, TV Radio, and Cable networks are owned by the very people who support Bush for the most part, and the whole story is not being told, so on we can do is speculate on what is true. | am not happy about this, as years ago I was a newsman and I tell ya the news aint really news anymore.

You are right that these news networks seem to leaning to political sides, although I would disagree that they lean to the right. This may be the case with the news services you mention, but newspapers are media also and they certainly lean both ways. The worst part of it is however, is that with regards to Paris etc is that they are only pandering to what the viewers want to see, so I believe that it is a problem with society in general, that people are more interested in what happens to a clueless heiress, than they are to defenceless people in the Sudan for example.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think Moore is misleading people if he claims, as he has and CNN has called him on it, that universal healthcare is free. It isn't. Not even remotely close. But like any experienced politician Moore attacks the media with spin instead of addressing the message.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I've almost completely stopped watching CNN and Fox, as you said, they are just entertainment shows,
competing with one another for viewers. They only look for scandal and misery and seem to think
those celebrities are actually worth doing a one hour program. I guess there are viewers, but it
won't be me.
I do like Anderson Cooper, as I do see him trying to be truthful and interesting, but if he wants to
stay at his job, he will eventually have to 'cave' in to them and show us 'fake' people with 'fake' lives.

Michael Moore isn't perfect, but in a world of corporate power and governments that
are 'not' for the people at all, we NEED more people like him.

Al Jazeera is apparently now the anti-CNN. Well. That and maybe BBC. I wish I could get Al Jazeera English on the television. I've got RSS feeds to both of them, though. And CBC. CNN is more like a tabloid than anything else...and they must have hired a webpage designer to present it. I swear, sometimes I think I'll see "CONGRATULATIONS! You are the 1,000,000th viewer today! Click here to redeem your prize!" on the ticker.
I don't think that the CNN vs. Moore thing even matters at all.
Anyway, CNN is too biased to be considered news. It's a reality TV show. And Michael Moore may be right, or he may not be, but that doesn't change the fact that CNN is just...not good.
This is how the whole debate breaks down:
MICHAEL MOORE. He's a filmmaker and a provocative commentator on America. That's right. He's against America. When he attacks CNN, ALL HELL...BREAKS LOOSE.
CNN. A major news network aligned with the forces of good. The only thing that can save YOU from Michael Moore...
MICHAEL MOORE - VERSUS - CNN.
SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY....BE THERE.
Etc.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'll put you all down for not wanting anything challenged by the media when it could sell newspapers. Everyone back to CBC Radio.

If they didn't respond, everyone on the right would say they're biased. At some point people need to get past arguing about who's ideology is in bed with what media and start talking about the substance. Claiming there isn't any because perhaps Ted Turner might have slept with Jane Fonda, or they have a shiny website, doesn't cut it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Any time I see a line that starts with," CNN has always prided itself on balanced reporting", my eyes begin to cloud over. While I might describe CNN as a lot of things, "Balanced reporting" is not among them.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I have some difficulty entertaining the idea that Michael Moore isn't just another pig snorting and grunting at the trough of cinematic sensationalism....

I purchased one of his books and have watched him on several occasions being interviewed and offering his pearls of wisdom to a variety of folk....

Not a bright man in my opinion.

Live Aid Bono and the cult of political bias that's supposedly targetted at identifying and resolving global political and climate issues is similar to the MacDonald's corporation fronting a charitable interest....and using the suffering of women and children as advertising strategy...

The lesson of America has been learned well and embraced by the world.... Say anything do anything and so long as there's a buck in it.....everything's perfectly OK!

I'm mentioning America but the same can be said for the modern metrics of "politics" and "foreign aid" streaming out of Canadian government as well.

Global warming (whether a valid issue or not), discrimination and racism, pedophilia as practiced by the Roman Catholic Church, terrorism, ....it doesn't matter what the issue or the interest is around the world, the "New-World-Order" is the language of money and commerce.

Why shouldn't Michael Moore or Bono or Willie Nelson or Al Gore communicate in the new lexicon?

We've created a world of make-believe....so it's only appropriate that we "make-believe" that entertainers are actually interested in something other than their own popularity and bank accounts...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Michael Moore might not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I think he fills a void that needed to be filled. His various cinematic rants might be exaggerated in some areas and even wrong in others but he has brought pressure to bear on things like gun control, American foreign policy, and health care. What Moore does report on couldn't be left to CNN or FOX news because they are a black hole for any news that dares to criticize the government.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Juan

Americans will provide you with a lengthy list of arguments regarding any criticism of "America" or "Anything American"...

Many Americans have intuited that everything isn't peaches and cream in America and haven't been for some time.....

If Michael Moore can influence Americans to turn on their bullshyte detectors....more power to him!

Minority Observer84

Theism Exorcist
Sep 26, 2006
The Capitol
It's a know fact that Fox news is a conservative patzy(so is CNN) , it's more about entertainment than it is fact . I'd love to go into how they do this but it would take too much time watch "Outfoxed " to get a load of all their techniques . BBC is not the anti CNN they are the closest thing to fair and balanced reporting i can find to be honest .

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Al Jazeera is apparently now the anti-CNN. Well. That and maybe BBC. I wish I could get Al Jazeera English on the television. I've got RSS feeds to both of them, though. And CBC. CNN is more like a tabloid than anything else...and they must have hired a webpage designer to present it. I swear, sometimes I think I'll see "CONGRATULATIONS! You are the 1,000,000th viewer today! Click here to redeem your prize!" on the ticker.
I don't think that the CNN vs. Moore thing even matters at all.
Anyway, CNN is too biased to be considered news. It's a reality TV show. And Michael Moore may be right, or he may not be, but that doesn't change the fact that CNN is just...not good.
This is how the whole debate breaks down:
MICHAEL MOORE. He's a filmmaker and a provocative commentator on America. That's right. He's against America. When he attacks CNN, ALL HELL...BREAKS LOOSE.
CNN. A major news network aligned with the forces of good. The only thing that can save YOU from Michael Moore...
MICHAEL MOORE - VERSUS - CNN.
SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY....BE THERE.
Etc.

I've heard that Al Jazeera is 'owned' by CNN now.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Michael Moore might not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I think he fills a void that needed to be filled. His various cinematic rants might be exaggerated in some areas and even wrong in others but he has brought pressure to bear on things like gun control, American foreign policy, and health care. What Moore does report on couldn't be left to CNN or FOX news because they are a black hole for any news that dares to criticize the government.

That's correct, and I find it incredible, when we are being bombarded with corporate corruption in
bed with government corruption, we do our best to 'trash' people who are trying to speak for all of
us. We have no one else.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
well i think they called it when they pointed out the publicity angle....
flogging a documentry about 9/11 then guns is one thing , but hospitol care...i mean he is gonna need some drastic plubicity stunts to get the audiance

You may have a good point, maybe he is doing this only for money or for some sort of celibrity, who knows, however he brings good point, that is what is important.

On the other hand, w bush has tons of friends who are in weaponery,oil, who contributed to the political party and benifited incredibly from 9-11 and both wars, not to mention bush approval went from 44% to 85% after 9-11, that doesnt ring a bell to you?

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Folks: mass media sucks and is wrong in its construction, format and semiotics. Please, please, please read Neil Postman's 20-year-old book, "Amusing Ourselves To Death."

I used to be a broadcaster, I left because it was a *****'s profession (although I didn't see that at the time). CNN and Fox are closer to each other than you might think, and they are both unavoidably misleading.

Throw out your TV!

Read magazines, listen to a variety of radio stations, subscribe to newspapers and get RSS feeds from web sites you disagree with!

Moore is marginally better than the news stations, but because of the medium he works in, is mostly the same.

I agree with his politics, but his arguments as presented in his documentaries, are shallow, manipulative, and anti-skeptical. You either agree with him or you don't get it.

It ain't his fault - it is how the medium works.

Bread and circuses folks, bread and circuses.

Pangloss

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
It's a know fact that Fox news is a conservative patzy(so is CNN) , it's more about entertainment than it is fact . I'd love to go into how they do this but it would take too much time watch "Outfoxed " to get a load of all their techniques . BBC is not the anti CNN they are the closest thing to fair and balanced reporting i can find to be honest .

Being the foaming at the mouth conservative that I am, seeing you say that the BBC is fair and balanced and that CNN is a conservative patsy makes me laugh so hard I might pee a little.