Until Trump, no openly racist candidate has reached such heights in U.S. politics

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Until Trump, no openly racist candidate in modern times has reached such a height in U.S. politics

Even if Donald Trump’s current wave of bungling results in a much-deserved loss to Hillary Clinton in November, his rise to the status of Republican presidential candidate will stand as a unique historic achievement.

It has to be regarded as an event like the one memorably described by a long-ago Toronto politician as “the most unheard-of thing I ever heard of.” It is so unheard-of that this week, Republicans tried to separate themselves from it. Even Mike Pence, named by Trump as his vice-presidential running mate just three weeks ago, made a point of endorsing the re-election of Speaker Paul D. Ryan, whom Trump shunned.

Another Republican, Newt Gingrich, a scourge of Democrats in the 1990s, said that Trump is helping Clinton to win by proving “he is more unacceptable than she is.” Meg Whitman, the billionaire Hewlett-Packard executive who ran as a Republican for governor of California, announced she will raise money for Clinton, as well as vote for her. She said Trump’s “unsteady hand would endanger our prosperity and national security. His authoritarian character could threaten much more.”

This election year has turned into a painful mess — for the Republicans, of course, but also for the future of the United States. By winning his party’s nomination, Trump has rewritten the rules. Until this year, no openly racist candidate in modern times has reached such a height in American national politics. Trump has carelessly, perhaps jubilantly, maligned Mexicans and Muslims.

And no Republican since the election of Dwight Eisenhower in 1952 has set himself against internationalism. Trump has opposed free trade and NATO, two policies that made America “great” — the status Trump says he’s reclaiming. For politicians of tomorrow, he opens the possibilities of elevating racism and contempt for international treaties as vote-grabbers.

How did he get away with it? This is the most painful part of the story. His success results from sheer intuition. He realized, as others did not, that there are many thousands of people ready to vote for a candidate preaching anti-Mexican, anti-Muslin bigotry, while also blaming America’s failures on the Chinese and on free trade.

Robert Fulford: Until Trump, no openly racist candidate in modern times has reached such a height in U.S. politics

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The key word in the title is 'openly'......

Bill Clinton, on the other hand, has actively tried to ingratiate himself to black people by appropriating black culture. Think back to his appearance on Arsenio Hall, playing the Sax. Think back to his post-Presidency move to Harlem to locate his Clinton Foundation office there. Think back to the fact that we are incessantly told that Bill Clinton was the “first black” President. What a massive insult! People who speak this nonsense, say it without irony.

There are so many ways that the Clinton Presidency was toxic to black people in particular and people of color in general. I will periodically highlight some of his greatest hits against black people in the coming weeks. Today I want to focus on one piece of legislation that the U.S. Congress passed in 1994 which is still reverberating

Prison Culture » Bill Clinton Was Incredibly Destructive for Black People…

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
mad weaklings are mad.

trump had never been labelled a racist until it became clear he's a threat to take the white house back. Lol

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Until Trump, no openly racist candidate in modern times has reached such a height in U.S. politics

Even if Donald Trump’s current wave of bungling results in a much-deserved loss to Hillary Clinton in November, his rise to the status of Republican presidential candidate will stand as a unique historic achievement.

It has to be regarded as an event like the one memorably described by a long-ago Toronto politician as “the most unheard-of thing I ever heard of.” It is so unheard-of that this week, Republicans tried to separate themselves from it. Even Mike Pence, named by Trump as his vice-presidential running mate just three weeks ago, made a point of endorsing the re-election of Speaker Paul D. Ryan, whom Trump shunned.

Another Republican, Newt Gingrich, a scourge of Democrats in the 1990s, said that Trump is helping Clinton to win by proving “he is more unacceptable than she is.” Meg Whitman, the billionaire Hewlett-Packard executive who ran as a Republican for governor of California, announced she will raise money for Clinton, as well as vote for her. She said Trump’s “unsteady hand would endanger our prosperity and national security. His authoritarian character could threaten much more.”

This election year has turned into a painful mess — for the Republicans, of course, but also for the future of the United States. By winning his party’s nomination, Trump has rewritten the rules. Until this year, no openly racist candidate in modern times has reached such a height in American national politics. Trump has carelessly, perhaps jubilantly, maligned Mexicans and Muslims.

And no Republican since the election of Dwight Eisenhower in 1952 has set himself against internationalism. Trump has opposed free trade and NATO, two policies that made America “great” — the status Trump says he’s reclaiming. For politicians of tomorrow, he opens the possibilities of elevating racism and contempt for international treaties as vote-grabbers.

How did he get away with it? This is the most painful part of the story. His success results from sheer intuition. He realized, as others did not, that there are many thousands of people ready to vote for a candidate preaching anti-Mexican, anti-Muslin bigotry, while also blaming America’s failures on the Chinese and on free trade.

Robert Fulford: Until Trump, no openly racist candidate in modern times has reached such a height in U.S. politics
Lookee here....

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
if you oppose heshewhiteblack the scotus's POLICIES: obama care, or gun control, or illegal immigration, or free trade, or the CIA/DRUGLORD/DirtyBANKERS... etc
you are racist

Trump does oppose those idiotic policies which in effect are destroying the US
so by that LOONEY TUNES definition of the word Trump is racist

The word racist is being abused ( it worked do well for the zionists) and where ever it is seen being abused it should be covered in whiteout
oooops, so sorry:
brownout

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

Racism is a simple defence mechanism our instincts have developed over billions of years of survival. It seems humans with this instict have survived when those that did not perished, in so , only the ones with this defence instict bearing children in the next generation.

If this is as racist as any candidate has ever been, it is a good indication there is racial tensions in the world and it's a good idea to protect ourselves. Why else would have nature made us this way?

Racism is natural, it won't ever go away, it will take billions of years of breeding to get it out of our instincts.

Topkek

Jun 29, 2016
Toronto, On
For politicians of tomorrow, he opens the possibilities of elevating racism and contempt for international treaties as vote-grabbers.

Your bait is low quality, but I'll bite. Racism has always been around and always will be. Trump is no more racist/sexist or any other kind of -ist/-ism than anyone else, he's just more open about it than autists like you. You can't ban emotions and racism is just hate.

Attachments

• 1464134306729.jpg
    1464134306729.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 2

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The key word in the title is 'openly'......

Bill Clinton, on the other hand, has actively tried to ingratiate himself to black people by appropriating black culture. Think back to his appearance on Arsenio Hall, playing the Sax. Think back to his post-Presidency move to Harlem to locate his Clinton Foundation office there. Think back to the fact that we are incessantly told that Bill Clinton was the “first black” President. What a massive insult! People who speak this nonsense, say it without irony.

There are so many ways that the Clinton Presidency was toxic to black people in particular and people of color in general. I will periodically highlight some of his greatest hits against black people in the coming weeks. Today I want to focus on one piece of legislation that the U.S. Congress passed in 1994 which is still reverberating

Prison Culture » Bill Clinton Was Incredibly Destructive for Black People…

I don't understand. Why can't a white man enjoy the sax? And you can't blame him for some idiot calling him the first black president.

All this shows he probably wasn't a racist. I'm white yet used to cook Indian and now mostly Chinese and sometimes Western. Some of my cultural characteristics are Chinese due to Chinese influenced having rubbed off on me over time. I'd be offended if anyone accused me of trying to be Chinese, pretending to be Chinese, appropriating Chinese culture, etc.

People who speak multiple languages and have friends of various backgrounds will inevitably adopt cultural traits from them. It's natural and inévitable. Think of the African American raised in a white community or vice versa, the Anglo raised in Quebec or the French Canadian raised in Ontario or the English Canadian raised in Nunavut or the indigenous Canadian raised iff reserve, or an English Canadian raised in Chinese Burnaby. They learn the language, pick up the culture, integrate naturally. Though I'm French Canadian, many if my cultural traits are English Canadian. It's natural given my cultural surrounding environment.

It's time those who rail against 'cultural appropriation' climb out of their cave.

Racism is a simple defence mechanism our instincts have developed over billions of years of survival. It seems humans with this instict have survived when those that did not perished, in so , only the ones with this defence instict bearing children in the next generation.

If this is as racist as any candidate has ever been, it is a good indication there is racial tensions in the world and it's a good idea to protect ourselves. Why else would have nature made us this way?

Racism is natural, it won't ever go away, it will take billions of years of breeding to get it out of our instincts.

Racism is taught. Kids are colour blind beyond curiosity. It's the adults to teach hate. And what about children stemming from exoganous marriages?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I said before that he was gonna change his "act" as he got closer to election time....
From what I saw last night.... he has already started.....

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
>implying Donald Trump is racist to kick off.

how progs roll with their special speak.

they mad.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I said before that he was gonna change his "act" as he got closer to election time....
From what I saw last night.... he has already started.....

Engaging in a fight with the grieving parents of a fallen soldier doesn't exactly institute changing his act. I believe that he got into this for ego with no intention of winning and the fact that it looked plausible has given him pause to do everything he can to scuttle his own campaign.

He is completely unqualified to be the POTUS and he knows it.

He's going down.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
yes, well...the 'grieving' dad should have initially left trump out of his staged DNC rant...but anyway.