11 Native American Tribes, Including The Two Largest, Prohibit Gay Marriage

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
How to enforce gay agenda inside Native American tribes

In years past our Indigenous Amerikan Komrades were ensconced in the Most Favored Status™ they so richly deserved after AmeriKKKa committed genocide against them.

Then, something went egregiously wrong:

Komrades! It is apparent that our Indigenous Amerikan Komrades have abrogated their most favored status and must be liquidated. (Never mind that our original complaint in favor of our Indigenous Amerikan Komrades was that they were unfairly liquidated)...

Tribal laws of the two largest Native American tribes in the United States prohibit gay marriage, as do the laws of nine other smaller tribes.The Navajo and Cherokee Nations, the first and second largest tribes respectively, together have about 600,000 members. The nine smaller tribes that ban gay marriage have another 350,000 members. These tribes all either define marriage as between a man and a woman or explicitly prohibit same-sex marriage, according to the Associated Press (AP).

Since 2011, six of the eleven tribes revisited and upheld their preexisting legal definitions of marriage as between a man and a woman, AP researchers found.

Due to their status as sovereign nations, these 11 tribes will not need to change their marriage laws, which govern nearly one million tribal members, even if the Supreme Court legalizes gay marriage later this month.

If the court’s Obergefell v. Hodges ruling determines that same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry, Native American bans on gay marriage will remain in effect because federally-recognized tribes have the right to establish their own laws and are not subject to the U.S. Constitution.

For example, the Cherokee Nation Marriage and Family Protection Act of 2004 defines marriage as “a civil contract between one man and one woman” and states that “no marriage shall be contracted...between parties of the same gender.”

Title 6 of Chickasaw tribal law states that “a marriage between persons of the same gender performed in any jurisdiction shall not be recognized as valid and binding in the Chickasaw Nation.” However, the law notes that it does not prohibit “members of the same sex from entering written contracts” with one another.

According to the gay-rights advocacy group Freedom to Marry, at least ten Native American tribes do permit gay marriage. However, this list does not include any of the ten largest tribes according to 2010 U.S. Census Bureau data.

Of the tribes that do recognize same-sex marriage, some have made changes to their marriage laws to include recognition of same-sex couples, while others have adhered to a preexisting policy that tribal marriages be governed by the surrounding state’s marriage laws.

Many other tribes remain neutral, AP reports, neither taking steps to officially recognize gay marriage nor changing the wording of their marriage laws to include or preclude recognition of same-sex couples.

However, the legal language for some of these neutral tribes makes reference to heterosexual couples by use of such phrases as “husband and wife,” “a man and a woman,” and “unmarried male and...unmarried female.”

For example, the Northern Cheyenne Uniform Marriage and Divorce Act defines marriage as “a personal relationship between a man and a woman arising out of a civil contract to which the consent of the parties is essential,” in which spouses “take each other as husband and wife.”

To date, such laws have not been applied to same-sex couples.

CNSNews.com contacted The Human Rights Campaign, the nation’s largest LGBT advocacy group, for a comment, but the group did not respond.

geez, I thought we were all good.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Talk about a problem!

Are they hate groups now?
I would have thought you would have shown enough class to leave it alone, seeing as how you've made it clear numerous times you don't consider the opinions or decisions of the nations as being worth a dog turd.

I'm disappointed that you just couldn't resist.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I would have thought you would have shown enough class to leave it alone, seeing as how you've made it clear numerous times you don't consider the opinions or decisions of the nations as being worth a dog turd.

I'm disappointed that you just couldn't resist.

That's not true. I believe my last word on the Redskins was "F*** it ... get rid of the name. Wipe it off everything."

What else did I not GAF about?

And my point was less about the Native Americans decision on Gay Marriage but how they will be dealt with by the libs that like to label everyone as hateful when there is a difference of opinion.

BTW I am 100% for Gay Marriage.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That's not true. I believe my last word on the Redskins was "F*** it ... get rid of the name. Wipe it off everything."

What else did I not GAF about?
Hell with it. Too late to take it back, but I shouldn't have said it.

Official apology.

Tired of arguing with you over trivia. We agree on 97% of everything. Let's camo up and go moron hunting.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This guy! Know him?

He had a gay son and gay daughter and kicked them to the curb when they were 13 and 14 and they were shunned from the tribe. They'd tried to go his funeral but were turned away.

Both kids tried and tried to be part of the family but he pushed back twice as hard. He even refused to sign parental permission for rehab when under 18.

He destroyed their lives.

I hope you are rotting in Hell Gordon.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'd like an honest, no BS opinion from one of the resident Muslim supporting, flagoots on this.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'd like an honest, no BS opinion from one of the resident Muslim supporting, flagoots on this.
I'll give you mine, being kinda halfway to that.

I ain't one of his tribe, and I ain't Canadian, so I got no say.

Personally, I think it's rather sad. But I try not to judge a man on one incident from his life. I hear Hitler was real nice to Eva.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'll give you mine, being kinda halfway to that.

I ain't one of his tribe, and I ain't Canadian, so I got no say.

Personally, I think it's rather sad. But I try not to judge a man on one incident from his life. I hear Hitler was real nice to Eva.
I was actually referring to the OP, but I like how you ran with that.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Correct me if I am wrong but 2 gay Indians can go to city hall and get a marriage license. So they can be married. Their tribes laws are sort of guidelines when compared to the laws of the land.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong but 2 gay Indians can go to city hall and get a marriage license. So they can be married. Their tribes laws are sort of guidelines when compared to the laws of the land.
Then they better hand in their status card.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

But kiss your tribe good bye. Gays are shunned married or not. If gays are shunned they certainly aren't going to married on Rez.