Rebellious Nevada rancher's pro-slavery remarks dim Republican support


spaminator
#1
Rebellious Nevada rancher's pro-slavery remarks dim Republican support
Jennifer Dobner and Steve Gorman, Reuters
First posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 01:00 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, April 25, 2014 01:24 AM EDT
Two Republican U.S. senators who voiced support for a Nevada cattleman in his showdown with federal agents over grazing rights on public land condemned the rebellious rancher's remarks about whether African-Americans would be "better off as slaves."
A day after Cliven Bundy's comments about "the Negro" and government subsidies were published in The New York Times, Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky issued a statement saying the rancher's "remarks on race are offensive and I wholeheartedly disagree with him."
Paul, regarded as a potential Republican contender for the presidency in 2016, has expressed sympathy for Bundy's cause and for the resentment that many conservatives in the West harbour towards Washington over government policies they find intrusive.
A spokeswoman for Senator Dean Heller, a Nevada Republican who has called Bundy's supporters patriots, said her boss "completely disagrees with Mr. Bundy's appalling and racist statements, and condemns them in the most strenuous way."
Fox News Channel commentator Sean Hannity, who has been one of Bundy's most outspoken public supporters, also weighed in on his daily radio show to denounce the rancher's "ignorant, racist, repugnant, despicable comments."
The 76-year-old rancher, from Bunkerville, Nevada, became a symbol for conservative Republicans, particularly among the Tea Party movement, for his actions in defying the federal Bureau of Land Management (BLM), an agency of the U.S. Interior Department.
The dispute dates back to 1993 when Bundy stopped paying monthly fees the government charges ranchers to allow their cattle to roam federal range lands.
Saying Bundy owes more than $1 million in unpaid grazing fees and had ignored court orders to remove his cattle from public land, the BLM sent armed rangers to Bundy's ranch earlier this month to round up his cattle by force.
Anti-government groups, gun rights activists and right-wing militia members rallied to Bundy's defense. Following a brief armed stand-off, the government backed down, cancelled its roundup and released the cattle that had been seized.
Bundy's supporters hailed the outcome as a victory over government tyranny. Detractors have called Bundy an outlaw.
RACIST REMARKS
During a small gathering last Saturday at his ranch, Bundy, in remarks quoted by The New York Times and captured on video footage posted online, shared his views on race, which he said were informed in part by a drive he had taken past a public housing project in the city of North Las Vegas.
"I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro," Bundy began, as he recounted seeing a group of "older people and kids" sitting idle in an open doorway of the building.
"They didn't have nothing to do. They didn't have nothing for their kids to do. They didn't have nothing for their young girls to do," he said.
"And because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do?" he asked. "They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I've often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn't get no more freedom. They got less freedom."
Supporters were quick to defend Bundy on a Facebook site managed by his family on Thursday. One post on the page, which showed more than 89,700 backers, dismissed the Times' account as "new rumors," suggesting Bundy's comments had been distorted.
"Cliven is a good man, he loves all people, he is not a racist man. He wants what is best for everyone," the post said.
Republican Nevada state Assemblywoman Michele Fiore, who has visited the Bundy ranch in support of his cause, said in a separate statement: "I strongly disagree with Cliven Bundy's comments about slavery." But she reiterated her criticism of what she called BLM "atrocities."
Bundy himself stood by his remarks in a guest appearance on the "Peter Schiff Show" radio program, and repeated his views.
"That's exactly what I said," he replied when asked about his comments concerning blacks. "I'm wondering, 'Are they happier now under this government subsidy system than they were when they were slaves, and they was able to have their family structure together, and the chickens and garden, and the people had something to do?' ... I am wondering."
His son, Ammon Bundy, told Reuters by telephone on Thursday that he believes his father's plain, unsophisticated way of speaking left him misunderstood.
"He's a rancher. He's not a professional speaker. ... His vocabulary is a rancher's vocabulary," the son said.
Asked on CNN about Hannity's characterization of his remarks as ignorant and racist, the elder Bundy said, "Well, I hope I'm not that way."
Rancher Cliven Bundy (C) greets supporters during a Bundy family "Patriot Party" near Bunkerville, Nevada, April 18, 2014. His granddaughter Jerusha Bundy, 10, is at right. REUTERS/Steve Marcus

Rebellious Nevada rancher's pro-slavery remarks dim Republican support | Nevada (external - login to view)
 
Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Serryah
Free Thinker
+2
#2
And the excuses begin.
 
MHz
#3
Guess hiring a black cattle person is going to take on a whole new meaning on the Bar whatever the ranch is. Is branding cattle now going to become cruelty to animals. Tagging is closer to something the youngest generation of the family would favor as tracking them could be done thanks to the tags. (today you could probably get vital signs at the same time)

Considering his age and the fact he hasn't been rehabilitated yet means his comment was natural and honest for his age and the fact that in the army of WWII segregation in the military was as close to harsh segregation as you could get. Indians were allowed in only as codetalkers and Rand Paul should have something to say about Indian Reservations and how they don't show any sort of 'racism' from the State or Federal positions.

How am I doing so far?

If you really want a look at the family values of any 'closed group' you talk to the oldest female (as long as she is lucid)
Not much to say after that until we get Rand Paul's mom's opinion of his opinion.

I'm done, what is my final score?
 
B00Mer
Republican
+5
#4  Top Rated Post
Everyone else pays grazing rights... this guy is just a f*cking deadbeat..
 
tay
+1
#5
FRREDOMLANDERS are an odd bunch and from now on they need to get all the facts before they get all roiled up.


Mr Bundy has been subsidized for years only paying $1.35 per month per animal on govt land versus $18.00 a month per animal on private land.................








Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy was all over the national media this past week when federal Bureau of Land Management agents seized his cattle to settle the more than $1 million in unpaid fines he’d racked up since 1993. Armed militants flocked to Bundy’s side, prompting the bureau to back off for fear of human safety.


The fines are a result of Bundy grazing his 900 cattle on 600,000 (external - login to view) acres of bureau-managed public lands since 1993 without a permit.


He’s ignored his fees, fines, permits and multiple court orders.



Plenty of other ranchers pay their grazing fees; in fact, the Bureau of Land Management issues 18,000 permits for grazing on 160 million acres of public lands. The U.S. Forest Service allows grazing on an additional 81 million acres of public lands.

Bureau of Land Management Director Neil Kornze was right when he said, “Mr. Bundy owes the American taxpayers in excess of $1 million.” Public lands belong to the American public. Regardless of his convoluted read (external - login to view) of the Nevada Constitution, Bundy owes all of us that tidy sum. And he should us owe much, much more.




, the Bureau of Land Management takes livestock prices, cost of cattle production and private grazing fees into account when setting the fee per head of cattle for grazing on public lands. Government data (external - login to view) pegs private grazing fees at roughly $18 per animal unit month (which represents the amount of forage (e.g. grass) a cow and her calf need for a month) throughout the West over the past two years.

In Nevada, the average private land grazing fee was $15 per animal unit month. Yet this year, the fee for grazing on public land in Nevada and elsewhere is set at $1.35 per animal unit month.






Bundy's 'Ancestral Rights' Story A Load Of Crap



"I've lived my lifetime here. My forefathers have been up and down the Virgin Valley here ever since 1877. All these rights that I claim, have been created through pre-emptive rights and beneficial use of the forage and the water and the access and range improvements," Bundy said.

Clark County property records show Cliven Bundy's parents moved from Bundyville, Arizona and bought the 160 acre ranch in 1948 from Raoul and Ruth Leavitt.

Water rights were transferred too, but only to the ranch, not the federally managed land surrounding it. Court records show Bundy family cattle didn't start grazing on that land until 1954.

The Bureau of Land Management was created 1946, the same year Cliven was born.




I-Team: Bundy's 'ancestral rights' come under scrutiny - 8 News NOW (external - login to view)










wwwyoutubecomwatchvWAT858Q8Vm0

 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#6
Peel back layer on the onion and you get a whole new perspective.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#7
He's the Tea Party's hero.

And he's not a racist. Here, I'll prove it. . .

'Bundy insisted in several media appearances that his comments had been taken out of context, although he repeated some of his observations regarding slavery. “I’m not racist,” he said on one radio show. “They’re making it a racist-type thing.”'
www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z4 (external - login to view)

See? Not racist at all.
 
EagleSmack
#8
Using that selective broad brush again.
 
Locutus
#9
'Bundy insisted in several media appearances that his comments had been taken out of context, although he repeated some of his observations regarding the welfare state. “I’m not welfarist,” he said on one radio show. “They’re making it a welfarist-type thing.”'
 
Tecumsehsbones
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Using that selective broad brush again.

Yep, quoting Bundy's own words in reference to Bundy is broad brush, all right.
 
EagleSmack
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Yep, quoting Bundy's own words in reference to Bundy is broad brush, all right.

Tea Party's Hero? With comments like that I think not.

Maybe he's an Indian hero... they get all irate about the government taking their land and such. Bundy is the Hero of Native Americans all over the country. Each and every one.

A Talk TOO Native Americans About Cliven Bundy - YouTube

 
Tecumsehsbones
+3
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Tea Party's Hero? With comments like that I think not.

So maybe you'll get the message that it's just as inaccurate and annoying when you say "the liberals are. . ." or "the left thinks. . . ."

But I doubt it.

Quote:

Maybe he's an Indian hero... they get all irate about the government taking their land and such. Bundy is the Hero of Native Americans all over the country. Each and every one.

A Talk TOO Native Americans About Cliven Bundy - YouTube

Of course. We all look alike to you, so why not?
 
Kreskin
+1
#13
The feds should've pulled a gun and punched him in the face. Then all would be just and fair.

Farmer Threatens Trespassing Snowmobilers With Shotgun - YouTube

 
EagleSmack
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

So maybe you'll get the message that it's just as inaccurate and annoying when you say "the liberals are. . ." or "the left thinks. . . ."

But I doubt it.

As IF you're above it!


Quote:

Of course. We all look alike to you, so why not?

Ohhhhh... you weren't counting on that clip were you? No sireee... you weren't counting on that.

So now you have to respond in the same way you JUST preached against.

No sir.... you weren't counting on that clip at all.

 
pgs
Free Thinker
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

So maybe you'll get the message that it's just as inaccurate and annoying when you say "the liberals are. . ." or "the left thinks. . . ."

But I doubt it.


Of course. We all look alike to you, so why not?

Actually here on the wet coast we do all pretty much look the same .
 
Tecumsehsbones
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

As IF you're above it!




Ohhhhh... you weren't counting on that clip were you? No sireee... you weren't counting on that.

So now you have to respond in the same way you JUST preached against.

No sir.... you weren't counting on that clip at all.

No, I'm responding your way. You produce a clip of an Indian saying something, and demand that I say the same thing because I'm an Indian.

That's the whole point I was getting at with my (admittedly snarky) "Tea Party hero" comment, and my later comments pointing out that you have a certain tendency to ascribe to large groups opinions that they don't necessarily hold.

It's OK.
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+3
#17
Bundy and his supporters are just freeloaders. SOmehow I doubt many of these people would be supportive of a small logger taking trees from federal land without permits and paying a toll.
 
Spade
Free Thinker
+3
#18
I think turnabout is fair play. I propose that Mr. Bundy offer himself up as a slave, say as a Hep-Yo'self gas attendant.
 
EagleSmack
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

No, I'm responding your way. You produce a clip of an Indian saying something, and demand that I say the same thing because I'm an Indian.

That's the whole point I was getting at with my (admittedly snarky) "Tea Party hero" comment, and my later comments pointing out that you have a certain tendency to ascribe to large groups opinions that they don't necessarily hold.

It's OK.

Awwww...come on now.
 
BaalsTears
#20
There's no getting around the fact that the US Govt. sent snipers to Bundy's ranch instead of simply placing a lien on it.
 
Tonington
+3
#21
He's a free loader, a hypocrite, a slavery advocate? and an idiot.

It's funny that people who identify fiscally as conservatives would have supported someone like this in the first place. He's a mooch. Really I guess they liked the fact that he is mad at the Feds, and that translated to political hay against Obama? Free hay too!

Like rats off a sinking ship.
 
Locutus
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

There's no getting around the fact that the US Govt. sent snipers to Bundy's ranch instead of simply placing a lien on it.


There's also no getting around the fact he paid his fees until some tree-hugging egghead started rotating grazing times to save some turtle way back in the day and that no government did anything about it.
 
EagleSmack
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

There's no getting around the fact that the US Govt. sent snipers to Bundy's ranch instead of simply placing a lien on it.

They wanted to get all dressed up and play soldier.

Unedited Tape of Bundy Emerges, Sheds Light on 'Racist' Remarks | Truth Revolt (external - login to view)

Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

He's a free loader, a hypocrite, a slavery advocate? and an idiot.

It's funny that people who identify fiscally as conservatives would have supported someone like this in the first place. He's a mooch. Really I guess they liked the fact that he is mad at the Feds, and that translated to political hay against Obama? Free hay too!

Like rats off a sinking ship.

Don't forget the Native Americans! They supported him 100%.

Shhhhhhhhhh

 
BaalsTears
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

He's a free loader, a hypocrite, a slavery advocate? and an idiot.

It's funny that people who identify fiscally as conservatives would have supported someone like this in the first place. He's a mooch. Really I guess they liked the fact that he is mad at the Feds, and that translated to political hay against Obama? Free hay too!

Like rats off a sinking ship.

What do you think about the decision of the US Govt. to send snipers to Bundy's ranch instead of recording a lien against his property?
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#25
India should respect America.
 
Locutus
#26
How Now White Cowman? :: SteynOnline (external - login to view)
 
petros
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

He's a free loader, a hypocrite, a slavery advocate? and an idiot.

It's funny that people who identify fiscally as conservatives would have supported someone like this in the first place. He's a mooch. Really I guess they liked the fact that he is mad at the Feds, and that translated to political hay against Obama? Free hay too!

Like rats off a sinking ship.

Without his cattle that ecosystem blows away in the dust. Turtles and all.
 
Locutus
#28
but wait, there's more:

Black Marine’s Letter Refutes Left-Wing Media Narrative that Cliven Bundy is a ‘Racist’ (external - login to view)
 
petros
#29
Being a racist is a full time job.

If he were a fascist there wouldn't have been a nig, kyke, spick, chink, australian, camel jockey, indian(paiute or hindu) anywhere near his ranch.
 
Locutus
+2
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Being a racist is a full time job.

If he were a fascist there wouldn't have been a nig, kyke, spick, chink, australian, camel jockey, indian(paiute or hindu) anywhere near his ranch.

or ponies
 

Similar Threads

100
Standoff at nevada ranch
by Locutus | 1 week ago
no new posts