1/3 Population of Puerto Rico Gets Food Stamps from U.S. Gov’t

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The federal government spent more than $2 billion to provide food stamps to Puerto Rico in 2012, up to 25 percent of which is untraceable because it is distributed in cash and there is “no way to verify that funds are spent on food,” according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The funds are used to supply more than one-third of the population of Puerto Rico with food stamps.
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the Nutrition Assistance Program (NAP) for Puerto Rico, an unincorporated territory of the United States, received $2 billion in Nutrition Assistance Block Grants in fiscal year 2012.

more

1/3 Population of Puerto Rico Gets Food Stamps from U.S. Gov’t -- $2 Billion in 2012 | CNS News

related redux:

With free money, why would anyone work in America? - YouTube

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
So what? 1/3 of Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco do too. Yep, the land of Fruit Cakes and Nut Bags is doing the same thing. AND two of the Fruit Cakes are in the state Capitol as Gov. and Lt Gov and they are on the dole too. Spending public funds daily on our nickel.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Lets make them a state! More Democrats!

Do nothing... do not work... live a middle class life! Paid for people who work for a living!

The New America!

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Corporations get TRILLIONS in welfare every year.

No big deal as far as the right wing is concerned.

Which Corporations and how much do they get? I wanna know so's I can start a campaign to stop such nonsense!! You know - inquiring minds and all that....

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Which Corporations and how much do they get? I wanna know so's I can start a campaign to stop such nonsense!! You know - inquiring minds and all that....

Google corporate welfare and you'll get all the info you want

Lets make them a state! More Democrats!

Do nothing... do not work... live a middle class life! Paid for people who work for a living!

The New America!

Yes! Make PR into a state so that we can have two more patriots as senators and at least 3 more electoral votes. While we're at it, let's do the same for Washington DC to insure more patriotic victories.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
So what? 1/3 of Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco do too. Yep, the land of Fruit Cakes and Nut Bags is doing the same thing. AND two of the Fruit Cakes are in the state Capitol as Gov. and Lt Gov and they are on the dole too. Spending public funds daily on our nickel.

Actually , PR is a commonwealth - since the Spanish American War. why it isn't a State of the Union is a mystery to me.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Not bad, According to the search engine there are "About 53,800,000 results (0.45 seconds)"

Lets try this one:
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_rn=12&gs_ri=psy-ab&pq=elvis%20spotted%20at%20graceland&cp=33&gs_id=3gn&xhr=t&q=Elvis%20spotted%20at%20%20jack%20in%20the%20box&es_nrs=true&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Elvis+spotted+at++jack+in+the+box&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=ad0f34889e457013&biw=1024&bih=579

Not quite as many hits, about half as much, but apparently Elvis hangs-out quite often at Jack In the Box.. Seeing how it's on the interweb, it must be true, eh?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

I'm surprised, given the relatively recent bailouts in the banking system, somebody would actually ask that question.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
...and the fools that gave them the mortgages that they couldn't afford in the first place?

Yup... But if I recall, the banks were going by the Feds mandate enacted years back under Carter, Clinton, et al to provide greater ease for people to access homes... That and the belief that the banks didn't hire gunmen to force people to assume mortgages in the first place.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yup... But if I recall, the banks were going by the Feds mandate enacted years back under Carter, Clinton, et al to provide greater ease for people to access homes... That and the belief that the banks didn't hire gunmen to force people to assume mortgages in the first place.
There is an element of that. But reviews have shown that as many as 2/3 of the people who got sub-prime mortgages could have qualified for regular mortgages. And the simple fact is that the real estate bubble was just that. . . a bubble. Plenty of blame to go around everywhere.

My beef, which is with Bush and Obama equally, is why did they use taxpayer money to prop up these banks? And if they were to do it at all, why didn't they make the bailouts conditional on cutting mortgagees more favourable deals?

Could it be because Bush, Obama, and their respective Treasury Departments and Congresses didn't give a rap about American homeowners, and were in it for the banks?

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
I was just in PR last month.
An American run Banana Republic.

It was kind of strange there.
I have spent a fair bit of time in several of the Caribbean Banana Republics and one thing you tend to see is agriculture.
Bananas, mangos, citrus and fruit trees.
Small plots with a few chickens, pigs or a milk cow or two.
A few small fields of corn,rice or maybe cereal cops.
Sugar cane and coffee.
But not in PR.

I really dont know if plants will not grow there or if the people just cannot be bothered to try.
In the stores almost everything to do with food is imported.
Even tropical fruit.
I really thought that was odd.