Fox's take on gas prices

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Fox said that "no President has the power to increase or to lower gas prices" and the only way to reduce our vulnerability to gas price spikes is to use less oil.
This is very true. The prez can't tinker with pricing, he can only tinker with taxes on fuel.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Either fluff or he's bat **** crazy. Which do you think?

Politics... that is all.

Neither side has been able to rein in the Oil Companies. I so want them to stop those subsidies but the Oil Companies will simply raise prices permanently to make up for the loss. Either way ... we lose.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There are no subsidies in Canada, just tax credits. I don't know if the US Gov gives subsidies but if they were halted there would be tax credits just like here.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Politicians are expected to play politics. Real news organizations are not.

Real news organizations have always leaned one way or other. I can't recall any news organization that simply reports news 100% of the time.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
ACtually the government could control gas prices if they decided it was politically expedient to do so. The simplest method would be to take speculators out of the market either with a direct tax or require taking physical delivery of the oil. No more futures contracts trading unless you are either producer or refiner.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The Americans just don't get it. And neither do Canadians apparently. The only factor that is going to make most Americans and Canadians more energy conscious is to raise fuel prices and the easiest way to do that is through taxation. Call it a carbon tax or some other euphemism it will have to be done in order to provide incentive to use energy more efficiently.

As for the 2008 video. No big surprise. FOX News is famous for talking out of both sides of its mouth.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
ACtually the government could control gas prices if they decided it was politically expedient to do so. The simplest method would be to take speculators out of the market either with a direct tax or require taking physical delivery of the oil. No more futures contracts trading unless you are either producer or refiner.
Sounds like Bolshevik to me.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The Americans just don't get it. And neither do Canadians apparently. The only factor that is going to make most Americans and Canadians more energy conscious is to raise fuel prices and the easiest way to do that is through taxation. Call it a carbon tax or some other euphemism it will have to be done in order to provide incentive to use energy more efficiently.

As for the 2008 video. No big surprise. FOX News is famous for talking out of both sides of its mouth.

Is there a reason that we need to be more energy conscious?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Venezuela seems capable of keeping the price down so I think it's a cop out to say it can't be done. The question is whether we want to go down that road just for cheap gas.