Keystone pipeline could be completed by 2013

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
WASHINGTON (The Blaze/AP) — The Obama administration on Friday removed a major roadblock to a planned $7 billion oil pipeline from western Canada to the Texas coast, saying in a report that the project is unlikely to cause significant environmental problems during construction or operation.

The thousand-page report by the State Department says the proposed 1,700-mile Keystone XL pipeline would have no significant environmental impacts on most natural resources in its six-state path.

Calgary-based TransCanada wants to build a massive pipeline to carry crude oil extracted from tar sands in Alberta to refineries in Texas. The pipeline, which would travel through Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma, would carry an estimated 700,000 barrels of oil a day, doubling the capacity of an existing pipeline from Canada. Supporters say it could significantly reduce U.S. dependence on Middle Eastern oil.

more...

Obama Removes Roadblock to Canada-U.S. Oil Pipeline | TheBlaze.com

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Could be? It WILL be! Canadian pipe is still heading down the Soo Line to USA in huge quantities. Hippys can't stop it. Where the **** are they going to find 36" daisies?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You knew that this CDN oil is not going to be sold strictly in the US but sold on the open market for export as well?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You knew that this CDN oil is not going to be sold strictly in the US but sold on the open market for export as well?

Sure... sell it to who you want. Is it being exported from Texas? Either way I think both countries must benefit.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Would it by chance be refined in Texas?

I doubt that this Canada-USA Pipeline is simply a conduit for Canadian export.

We don't import oil any longer?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
While I disagree with this move on environmental grounds, it would undoubtedly be an economic boon for both countries.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I'm still searching but from what I am reading that this is a pipeline that will transfer oil purchased by the United States from Canada.

From CNN...

"The fundamental issue is energy security. Through the Keystone system, the U.S. can secure access to a stable and reliable supply of oil from Canada, where we protect human rights and the environment, or it can import more higher-priced oil from nations who do not share America's interests or values," said Russ Girling, TransCanada's president and chief executive officer.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Would it by chance be refined in Texas?

I doubt that this Canada-USA Pipeline is simply a conduit for Canadian export.

We don't import oil any longer?

Partly, majority, and empty tankers are expensive when going back empty when they can make a pit stop in oil dry Europe.

While I disagree with this move on environmental grounds, it would undoubtedly be an economic boon for both countries.
Environmental? Why bother with an aquifer that is already nitrate polluted and not potable?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Partly, majority, and empty tankers are expensive when going back empty when they can make a pit stop in oil dry Europe.

From what I am reading thus far, the oil that flows through the pipeline is oil purchased from the US. I am still searching though.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I'm of two minds about this. Part of me is thinking "good! People need to get over their faux-fossil fuel phobias: its abundant and cheap compared to other existing energy sources". Another part is thinking "why the hell do we insist on exporting all our resources instead of making companies process them in Alberta and THEN exporting the finished products"? The pipe could just as easily carry gasoline, fuel oil and other liquid petroleum products as crude...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
http://www.keystonepipeline-xl.stat...onexl.nsf/AssmtDrftAccpt.pdf?OpenFileResource

I'm of two minds about this. Part of me is thinking "good! People need to get over their faux-fossil fuel phobias: its abundant and cheap compared to other existing energy sources". Another part is thinking "why the hell do we insist on exporting all our resources instead of making companies process them in Alberta and THEN exporting the finished products"? The pipe could just as easily carry gasoline, fuel oil and other liquid petroleum products as crude...
Finished product can't go by pipe.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
They are accurate on enough points but their "environment bull****"" is just that. B u l l s h i t

But it still looks like the oil will be purchased by these companies before they get to Texas from the report. Unless I am mistaken it seems as if you are saying...

Yes... this pipeline is a good idea... but it is still Canada oil and Canada will be exporting it from Texas overseas.

From what I gather from the opposition is that it will be purchased by these oil companies and exported. The name most mentioned is Valero... a big exporter of petroleum products. Valero is a US company.

This is funny. In reading the comments from the American side they are saying why can't the US use it's own resources. We have the same type of tar sands yet we are unable to use them and rely on other countries.

So I think this is an I'll scratch your back and you scratch ours.

This is a good deal in my opinion.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No no no. They will be carrying Canadian AB synthetic, Canadian SK upgraded desulphurized heavy crude, kerogen from SK and MT, ND and points south. Multigrades all at the same time in the same pipe thanks to density.

Where the hell are the hippys going to find 36" 100% organic daisies to plug this thing?

I see these roll through my neighbourhood daily headed to USA.

It's going to happen no matter what hippys and dip****s think.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
A complete structural failure of a high strength 36-inch outer diameter pipeline with the wall thicknesses of the proposed Project pipeline (see Section 2.3.1, Table 2.3.1-1) would be a highly unlikely event. To cause such a failure, the proposed pipeline would likely need to experience a direct shear event. Such events could be caused by:

 A strike-slip fault movement across the proposed pipeline – however, the proposed pipeline corridor does not cross any known active faults;

 An anchor drag event or a collision event within a navigable river that experiences large to very large ship or barge traffic – however, all such river crossings along the proposed corridor would be crossed using HDD and the pipeline would therefore be installed well below the maximum anchor depth and outside any potential collision hazard;

 A major construction-related accidental equipment interaction with the buried pipeline – however, the proposed pipeline would be buried under a minimum of 4 feet of cover, would be clearly marked, would include warning tape (ribbons) as required by the Project-specific Special Conditions developed by PHMSA, would be predominantly routed through rural areas where such large equipment construction impacts would be rare, and Keystone would implement public awareness and damage prevention programs in accordance with 49 CFR 195.440 and API RP 1162. Additionally, the probability of puncture of the X-70 strength steel pipe of the proposed Project would be very low as its puncture resistance is in excess of 65 tons and approximately 98 percent of all excavators in North America have a maximum digging force of less than 35 tons and no excavator has a digging force greater than 40 tons;

 An intentional act of sabotage, vandalism, or terrorism – however, the pipeline would be buried with a minimum of 4 feet of cover and all aboveground facilities would include security fencing, thus reducing facility accessibility to these potential threats;

 A major flood event with the potential to cause deep scour and debris impact to the proposed pipeline – however, at major river crossings, the proposed pipeline would be installed using HDD and would therefore be below the maximum scour depth, and at all stream crossings, the proposed pipeline would be installed below the calculated scour depth;

Crude oil released from the proposed pipeline during operations or refined oil released during construction or operations into the environment may affect natural resources, protected areas, human uses and services, and aesthetics to varying degrees, depending on the cause, size, type, volume, location, season, environmental conditions, and depending on the timing and degree of response actions. Small oil spills (e.g., minor intermittent leaks and drips from construction machinery and operating equipment) would be almost certain to occur during construction and operation of the proposed Project, although in aggregate these spills could be of sufficient magnitude to substantively affect natural resources and human uses of the environment.

http://www.keystonepipeline-xl.stat..._3.13_Potential_Releases.pdf?OpenFileResource

...more to come..