Keystone pipeline could be completed by 2013

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Of sorts but sure as **** isn't a Democratic one.

They don't get much work in SK. They've ****ed up too many times and safety records are atrocious.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

It's a rat union,but it's still legal,The truth about Clac is a AUPE website(I dont even have to look) as I sent them my story a couple years ago and they never responded,the site was created when Clac was sniffing aroung and trying to scoop AUPE's contract.

Lot's of pipeline outfits like flint are still CLAC,and the oilsands contractors that arent IUOE.
They bankrupted many huge pipeline outfits here in Canada in the 80's.
And they caused the condo roof problem on the west coast.
I'm not a union man anymore,they can all go suck balls.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
As an x juinor pipeline inspector I know a little about the field and times have changed since most of the problem pipe was laid down.
I wasn't junior, I was a corrosion & inspection professional for a major energy producer in Alberta for 8 years, and consulted for a number of years doing the same thing.

Corners were cut years ago and the failures you see today are because of this.Pipe can fail after a certain time period but they can predict very accurately when it will fail if it was laid down and handled properly.Thats why theres allways inspectors on these jobs,one small scratch on a pipe coating can shorten it's lifespan by ten years.With most material falling under ISO guideline consistency is assured so any premature failures are allmost allways because of someone not following policies and procedures.
I've been to many line decommisions and most all are over 20 years old and most all were done not to code.When you dig it back up you can see where shortcuts were taken like not burying it to specs or it being scratched by chains or equipment.

Most oil & gas production facilities were designed with a 15-25 life cycle in mind. Many did make it to the expiration of the projects, many did not and do not today because companies don't like to spend money on more expensive materials and increased inspection/supervision, whether its in the pipemills, the right-of-way or after the fact. Edit: There is an additional problem surfacing now in the energy industry, in that many projects have economic viability beyond that 25 year design life, and companies are trying to get extra years beyond the design, out of the facility.

The reason I got out of the inspection field was because I didnt like being the fall guy,you will be in court answering enviro charges if someone under your watch screws up.I literally had stacks and stacks of binders in my truck that I had to read every day to make sure I was following all Canada and Alberta's laws but also Encanna's which were far more stricter.
So your base rate as a junior might be over $900.00 a day but it wasnt worth it.

What you described is a problem with a) inspection and b) consulting in Alberta: too many companies are looking for shields/interfence in dealing with the government. They aren't looking to do things right, they are looking to stay out of troubl; thats not even close to the same thing,and they don't care who they sacrifice as long as they don't get stuck with the big bill.

As for Encana, nothing you can say would give me any confidence in those clowns: they are a joke. They have been for years. Before the merger that created them PCP and AEC were the two companies with the most pipeline failures in the province, and the management team refused to change their mindset. AEC at Suffield was responsible for 60% of the failures alone, in the late 90s. Randy Eresman, who came from that Suffield area as an engineer, later VP and finally CEO of AEC (after Gwyn Morgan), actively told managers not to obey regulations but challenge them and the regulators wherever they thought they might be able to save some money. This is the guy that became the CEO of Encana.

One thing i'm curious about and thats if they can share the ROW that TCPL uses right now?
I can't say for sure. I know ROWs and who utilizes them are a sticky subject. The government ERCB and Alberta Environment both have a say, as does the original holder of the ROW (who in some cases has to lease surface rights as well).

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Most oil & gas production facilities were designed with a 15-25 life cycle in mind. Many did make it to the expiration of the projects, many did not and do not today because companies don't like to spend money on more expensive materials and increased inspection/supervision, whether its in the pipemills, the right-of-way or after the fact. Edit: There is an additional problem surfacing now in the energy industry, in that many projects have economic viability beyond that 25 year design life, and companies are trying to get extra years beyond the design, out of the facility.).
CO-OP Refineries now CCRL bought a used refinery from TX in the early 1930's that was built in 1913(+/-1-2yes) and that unit is still in use today making fuel. A well maintained piece of kit.