Your Right to Vote - Is it a choice or an obligation?

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
So I was just having a discussion while in line at the polls regarding this and I want your opinion. My belief is that if we have a right to do something it is a choice, it comes with the implied right to NOT do it also. Personally I would rather see an uninformed and apathetic voter stay home than have them at the polls marking some random box. I also think if someone is well informed about the candidates and the platforms but chooses not to vote because they don't want to support any of their available candidates that is just fine. Let me hear what you all think on the topic.

Yes we have a right to not vote but if we don't we don't have a right to complain about the government we get.
I think it is also a moral obligation but still a choice.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Vote counters are supposed to count votes, not think about whether the voters have alzheimers or not.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes we have a right to not vote but if we don't we don't have a right to complain about the government we get.
I think it is also a moral obligation but still a choice.

I think in a "Free country" you should have the right to vote or not as you wish. I could never understand the choice of candidate being influenced by someone who doesn't have a clue about the situation.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
...if we don't we don't have a right to complain about the government we get.

I really hate that theory. I am always well informed about all my candidates and their positions and have previously made a conscious decision to abstain because none of them deserved my vote. I refuse to cast a ballot for someone I do not like or trust just so you will then grant me a privilege to complain.

Some people are just too damn picky!

LOL! What would you do if your 3 options were MF, Cannuck and Me? Would you still vote? ;-)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Vote counters are supposed to count votes, not think about whether the voters have alzheimers or not.

No, but when they have the figures all tallied they submit them to a higher authority and they get duly recorded and filed for posterity. :)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Having a high IQ has no bearing on whether a person is successful in business, successful in love, good at building, good at teaching, etc. So why would it have a bearing on putting an X or a ✔ ?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If you had just printed your own name on it at least you would have made a statement, instead of them thinking you have Alzheimer's & forgot to mark the X. I just voted and learned that now you have a choice of marking an X or a check mark. :)
Putting your own name on it is spoiling it, sort of defeats the purpose of a secret ballot - and it's a crime that could earn you a $500.00 fine. Unmarked or marked incorrectly is just a rejected ballot - even if it isn't counted

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Having a high IQ has no bearing on whether a person is successful in business, successful in love, good at building, good at teaching, etc. So why would it have a bearing on putting an X or a ✔ ?

An IQ limit might not be so bad if it kept JLM out of the voting booth. :smile:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Having a high IQ is irrelevant.

Why? The last I heard was that empty ballots are counted and if you make any marks other than a checkmark indicating a choice, it is discounted.
The scrutineering package says any mark within or mostly within the circle is OK to be counted.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
LOL! What would you do if your 3 options were MF, Cannuck and Me? Would you still vote? ;-)
That possibility could never happen, because no political party is stupid enough to have any of you as a representative....But if that were to happen I would present my dog as independent and vote for him!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
That possibility could never happen, because no political party is stupid enough to have any of you as a representative....But if that were to happen I would present my dog as independent and vote for him!

I'd vote for your dog over the present 3 trying to be PM!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Did you all have to bring your IDs to get a ballot?

In our case, we are sent a letter that we can use along with a couple pieces of identification to get a ballot to vote with. Sounds like a similar system.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
This is true I knew a guy name of Pedro great furniture maker had a great eye for detail. All his pieces were exceptional. Dumber than a box of rocks.