Wow! Cops Now Ticketing Drivers Who Leave Windows Open!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I used to leave the windows open just a crack in the summer to help keep the car a
little cooler. I eventually decided that this did not help that much and leaving even
a crack could facilitate some jerk-off to get into your car and take all those thousands
of dollars that you keep in your glove box.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Except that you can consider your vehicle as being discouraged from unauthorized usage by merely removing the key and walking away from it and leaving windows open on hot days as it pertains to the law as written. Are they going to ticket you if you've left your Rottweiler in the front seat with a window down for air and there being no statute against leaving pets untended in vehicles in that territory?

No doubt the law can use some fine tuning. But lets criticise it for what is not included, what is included is good, just doesn't go far enough.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No doubt the law can use some fine tuning. But lets criticise it for what is not included, what is included is good, just doesn't go far enough.

Are you saying that you think the law SHOULD require you to close your windows? You want it to be illegal to leave your car windows open?

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
No doubt the law can use some fine tuning. But lets criticize it for what is not included, what is included is good, just doesn't go far enough.

Well yes, but to generalize based upon forcing compliance by folks who don't have a sense of personal responsibility and leaving that in the hands of the police to adjudicate with individual choice is always going to be a rocky road.

Those of us living in rural communities where it might still be common practice to leave your pick-up with the key in it for the neighbour to use when needed are going to bristle at these types of laws being interpreted to mean locks and chains put on everything from the tractor in the shed to the combine out on the back section, four miles from anyone's eyesight.

As long as the laws are written in such a manner that their spirit or intent is clearly spelled out for sensible law enforcement officers, from cops to judges, to interpret with reasonable consideration as this law seems to be with the use of words such as "prohibit or discourage" there should be no problem until a cop on an ego-trip reads something into the law that is not actually spelled out, described or defined in it's intent.

I categorically disagree that this law needs further additions.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I enjoyed this exchange so much. What a great forum.

SLM: Do you not understand how a window works?

Bear: That's a trick question right?

SLM: Well, not usually.

Bear: Yet here we are.

SLM: So it would seem.

Classic CanCon. :)

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Many cars can be stolen (as in driven away) using just a screwdriver and/or hammer. My old Dodge caravan could be stolen with a screw driver and a strong wrist... Even with the doors locked and the windows rolled up. If you know what you are doing, using a screwdriver is just as fast as using keys...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Many cars can be stolen (as in driven away) using just a screwdriver and/or hammer. My old Dodge caravan could be stolen with a screw driver and a strong wrist... Even with the doors locked and the windows rolled up. If you know what you are doing, using a screwdriver is just as fast as using keys...

So, are you saying you should get a ticket for having this vehicle?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
So what about motorcycles?

I will have to tell my buddy to keep his windows up and doors locked.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Are you saying that you think the law SHOULD require you to close your windows? You want it to be illegal to leave your car windows open?

Basically I'm a common sense sort of guy and believe anything reasonable to reduce crime is justified. The bottom line is your vehicle and everything in it should be secure, but I believe there are exceptions to every rule, so I do not believe that ALWAYS having the windows closed is mandatory. Case in point would be if there are three hungry pit bulls in the vehicle. Another exception would be an alarm on the vehicle. Possibly better than ticketing by police would be your insurance is null and void should anything happen.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Basically I'm a common sense sort of guy and believe anything reasonable to reduce crime is justified. The bottom line is your vehicle and everything in it should be secure, but I believe there are exceptions to every rule, so I do not believe that ALWAYS having the windows closed is mandatory. Case in point would be if there are three hungry pit bulls in the vehicle. Another exception would be an alarm on the vehicle. Possibly better than ticketing by police would be your insurance is null and void should anything happen.

So, you'd outlaw convertibles. And motorcycles.

You'd make it a crime to not barricade your possessions against crime. Interesting perspective.

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
... the legislation supposedly being used to justify this phony ticket for leaving your window open does not say anything about issuing a ticket or a fine to the vehicle owner ...

... the cop who issued the phony ticket was not acting on the legislation posted in this thread ...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Would that be common sense?

If 'your vehicle and everything in it should be secure', AS YOU STATED, then it stands to reason that convertibles should be outlawed, since it would be impossible to make it any more secure than a car with its windows left open.

Motorcycles are not secure, since it's relatively easy to pick one up and put it on a trailer, if you have 3 strong people.

Just going by YOUR OWN posted concepts.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
... what a joke the police are! now those losers are issuing tickets to people who leave their car windows open!

... story HERE ...

... the cops sure feel they get to abuse people who drive cars, don't they?
Yeah, everyone should leave their windows open so others can get in and steal the vehicle, pets can escape, etc.

I suppose you'd like the insurance companies to fund everything that goes missing or happens because you didn't take precautions to keep such events from happening, too.

You're sharp like a cue ball.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If 'your vehicle and everything in it should be secure', AS YOU STATED, then it stands to reason that convertibles should be outlawed, since it would be impossible to make it any more secure than a car with its windows left open.

Motorcycles are not secure, since it's relatively easy to pick one up and put it on a trailer, if you have 3 strong people.

Just going by YOUR OWN posted concepts.

Wrong, you pack a heavy chain and padlock and lock it to a power pole or lamp standard. With a convertible you lock valuables in the truck and maybe think of getting one of those "clubs". Usually when I make up my mind I'm going to do something I succeed. You should try it! Generally speaking, if something is at least partly secure thieves will move on to something easier.

You're sharp like a cue ball.

I was thinking more like a beach ball!

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
C'mon here guys. There's no need for all this acrimony over a law carefully written to express it's intent. these things aren't written without due thought and consideration to the actual administration of them.

They worded the law in such a way that all of those exigent circumstances could be weighed and considered by a "sensible" LEO.

No mention of: Unless the vehicle is without windows, doors or four wheels. No mention of you having a garage but left the thing outside overnight. No mention of the vehicle being chained to a tree to prevent it's being picked up by a crane and put on a flatbed.

The intent of the law was to require an owner/operator to take reasonable precautions to prevent the unauthorized use of a motor vehicle to protect the public's safety NOT to worry about your pack of Trojans going missing from the glove box or the financial hardship to you for the vehicles loss. The governing bodies don't give a rat's patoot about any of that nonsense. They are merely worried about the public's safety should some thief steal your car and cause peril to police or public in chasing the thing down or by it's possible useage in the commission of another crime.

Keep it civil; it ain't no big deal here.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
C'mon here guys. There's no need for all this acrimony over a law carefully written to express it's intent. these things aren't written without due thought and consideration to the actual administration of them.

They worded the law in such a way that all of those exigent circumstances could be weighed and considered by a "sensible" LEO.

No mention of: Unless the vehicle is without windows, doors or four wheels. No mention of you having a garage but left the thing outside overnight. No mention of the vehicle being chained to a tree to prevent it's being picked up by a crane and put on a flatbed.

The intent of the law was to require an owner/operator to take reasonable precautions to prevent the unauthorized use of a motor vehicle to protect the public's safety NOT to worry about your pack of Trojans going missing from the glove box or the financial hardship to you for the vehicles loss. The governing bodies don't give a rat's patoot about any of that nonsense. They are merely worried about the public's safety should some thief steal your car and cause peril to police or public in chasing the thing down or by it's possible useage in the commission of another crime.

Keep it civil; it ain't no big deal here.
I guess you are unfamiliar with the wiz. He doesn't care about any such stuff. He's just got a thing against cops, probably because he thinks they persecuted him in the past for breaking laws.