Worthy issues for the next election?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
4) All potential immigrants must pass an English proficiency test before being allowed into the country.

FYI, most native-born Quebecers can't speak English, and about 8% in Nunavut speak neither english nor French.

If an immigrant knows English but not french, three is little chance of him finding employment in Quebec city. I thik a more rational solution would be what harper had proposed before with regional monolingualism, depending on the majority language in any given local community, and require immigrants to know that language instead. No point studying English if you don't know French in Quebec city looking for employment.

DichotoMe

Nominee Member
Jan 6, 2009
CBI
1. How about getting rid of the First Past the Post electoral system. I'm impressed with New Zealand, check this out: Electoral system of New Zealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. I also support fixed election dates, elected GG and elected small senate.

4. I'd like to see us produce the worlds most rigid and enforced environmental legislation. Doubt this will happen, oil tycoons would whine too much about how it will break their backs, lol, and we all know politicians are in their back pocket.

5. Get rid of everything having to do with the monarchy.

Personally, I think we need to keep our identity as a multi cultural society. I can't agree with anything that degrades the culture in this country. Some think its a burden others think it makes us great. I'm one of the latter. We can't assimilate immigrants by forcing them to conform to our Canadian culture (which really does not exist on its own as it is a composite of all immigrant cultures).

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Agreed with your entire post except this part.

One person, one vote. I don't see why I should have any less say in how my government is run than others just because I have more people living in close proximity than they do.

I don't see it as a problem because the senate can't veto bills, and can't create bills - only send them back to parliament. The Senate is to act as a balance to the house - to prevent the "tyranny of the majority" so one province doesn't screw over another one.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
One worthy issue for our next election:

Should the justices of the Supreme Court of Canada be elected by the people?

These are the knuckleheads with the real power. How come we don't get to pick them? There is tons of worthy issues obviously, but I've alwayz pondered about this one, not to mention our unelected Senate. Which election is this finally going to come up?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'd kinda like someone to use our money to support businesses that look to the future, fund scientific advancements, and eliminate the BS inside gov't (it's over-saturated with bureacracy, the criminal code needs an overhaul, ministers' pensions need to be brought in line with the rest of Canadians' pensions, spending a fortune on the GG and LtGs, etc.)

aman12

Feb 22, 2009
Hay River,NT
Alley, even the U.S. does not elect their Supreme Court judges. Definitely de-politicize their selection ( for real and not pretend like PM Harper did).

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Alley, even the U.S. does not elect their Supreme Court judges. Definitely de-politicize their selection ( for real and not pretend like PM Harper did).

So since the US doesn't elect them, that means that we shouldn't?

I don't want to de-politicize them. I want them to be political and the people to choose them. That why I can vote my guy in.