Worlds Tallest Building

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
The CN Tower is the tallest building in the world, according to the Guiness Book of World Records.
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=49675
However, some argue this. Some say the world trade center was tallest (The CN Tower was taller). What is the difference between a building and a free standing structure? The CN tower was built. People work in it, eat at a rotating restaurant. Why do they argue it?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I've often wondered the same thing Gonzo. I believe it all depends on how one "calculates" the height. If they include spires or not, if they measure from street level or sea level to the top of the roof.

In the end, I think there is simply no consensus.

You will rarely see the CN Tower meantioned anywhere in the worlds tallest buildings, simply because it is not considered a building.

In a couple of years there will be no doubt which is the tallest anyway.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4081885.stm

para-dice

Nominee Member
Aug 3, 2006
BC
Yea teh CNN tower has like 100m of antennae, kinda silly to include that in the calculation. Still really kool to go up it, the swaying is a little scary.

Sweet Jesus! The link I think not provides says the Dubai Tower is going to be 800m high! hola!
"The concrete and steel tower will be part of an $8bn(£4.2bn) 500-acre project in the United Arab Emirates."

Wow that's like $160 million per acre. 8O :? :?

Those Arabs sure know how to spend their money wisely. When Dubai runs out of oil in 30 years, they won't be able to keep janitors employed.

I find such continued extravagance - amongst such poor countries simply disgusting.

Well I guess those Dubai people think being cool is where it's at.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Some argue that it has to have floors, like an office building. If that's the case then the World Trade Center held the title. All the CN Tower has to do is add more antennas. But the Tower does have the worlds highest observation deck, the Sky Pod.
If the Burj Tower in Dubai is completed it will be the tallest, and the argument for the CN Tower wont matter.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Speaking of tall structures. The Stratosphere Ride in Las Vegas is at a height of 1000 feet (I think). I thought I was going to have a heart attack on that dam thing.

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
SIze doesnt matter. Big buildings have never made anyone reach that celestial inner sweetness.Besides Big buildings need big rubbers-and who the hell is gonna make a rubber big enough for that dubai tower.

And then there is the issue of this central --thing with
no cojones--anywhere

I ask you where are the cojones..

no one ever asks that SIMPLE question

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
Re: RE: Worlds Tallest Building

cortex said:
SIze doesnt matter. Big buildings have never made anyone reach that celestial inner sweetness.Besides Big buildings need big rubbers-and who the hell is gonna make a rubber big enough for that dubai tower.

no cojones--anywhere

can the plane take off without a flange?

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Folks will look back at the absurdity of the 'biggest' pile of concrete, steel and glass. Fortunately most people today are more enamored with a low building with natural air flow, sunlight and surrounding greenery.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Fortunately most people today are more enamored with a low building with natural air flow, sunlight and surrounding greenery.

Some are not so enamored with low buildings when they are paying a couple thousand dollars a square foot in taxes on the land. Part of the best use of the land, is that brings in more money than it costs--------leading to taller buildings. Low buildings don't necessarily have natural air flow, or sunlight.

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
Re: RE: Worlds Tallest Building

dekhqonbacha said:
cortex said:

no cojones--anywhere

can the plane take off without a flange?

yes---but its meaningless they just get you from one place to another without any sense of completion.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
If people lived in tall condo's or apartments instead of big houses with plots of land, there wouldn't be urban sprawl. They have this problem in Calgary. That city takes up the space of new york but with far less the population. Calgary citizens have to drive far distances to get from their suburban homes to work downtown. This causes traffic jams and polution.