World Population Soars

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
World population to hit 6.5 billion on Saturday
Rapid growth occurring where it can be least afforded, researchers say

A population milestone is about to be set on this jam-packed planet.

On Saturday, Feb. 25, at 7:16 p.m. ET, the population here on this good Earth is projected to hit 6.5 billion people.

Along with this forecast, an analysis by the International Programs Center at the U.S. Census Bureau points to another factoid, Robert Bernstein of the Bureau's Public Information Center advised LiveScience. Mark this on your calendar: Some six years from now, on Oct. 18, 2012 at 4:36 p.m. ET, the Earth will be home to 7 billion folks.

These are estimates, of course, but clear trends emerge from the data behind them.

Population profile
A report issued by the Bureau in March 2004 noted that world population hit the 6-billion mark in June 1999. "This figure is over 3.5 times the size of the Earth's population at the beginning of the 20th century and roughly double its size in 1960," the study explained.

Even more striking is that the time required for the global population to grow from 5 billion to 6 billion — just a dozen years — was shorter than the interval between any of the previous billions.

On average, 4.4 people are born every second.

The population on Earth today is nearly four times the number in 1900. Behind that phenomenal global increase is a vast gulf in birth and death rates among the world's countries. But according to population experts, this gulf is not a simple divide that perpetuates the status quo among the have and have-not nations.

Birth dearth
"What is worrisome about this demographic divide is not the differences among nations' population growth rates, but the disparities associated with these trends ... disparities in living standards, health, and economic prospects," explained Mary Kent, co-author along with Carl Haub, of a Population Reference Bureau report issued last month titled "Global Demographic Divide."

Kent, editor of the Population Bulletin, and Haub, a senior demographer at the Population Reference Bureau, reported that news of declining population in Europe fueled concern about a global "birth dearth," but there is continuing population growth in developing countries. The question, they asked, is which demographic trend is the world facing?

"The reality is that both trends are occurring," Haub said. "The dramatic fertility decline during the 20th century coincided with improved health, access to family planning, economic development, and urbanization."

Kent and Haub also reported that most countries will experience population growth through 2050, as the world adds a projected 3 billion more people to the total.

Remarkably, despite the many new developments over the past 50 years, one fact looks very much the same, explained Kent and Haub: Populations are growing most rapidly where such growth can be afforded the least — an observation that has changed little over time, they said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11545564/

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I guess we're going to start hearing that dreadful "Feed the world" song even more around Christmas... I wonder if they'll come up with a 6.5 Billion edition.. or rather a 7 Billion edition for Xmas 2012.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I told my mom to stop harassing me for grandkids!!! I should forward this to her.

The sad thing is we already have enough to feed the world, it just doesn't get to those that need it.

quinton

Electoral Member
Jan 20, 2006
When a lady from World Vision knocked on my door asking me to sponsor a child, I told her about the triviality of her cause compared to the real great injustice of species extinctions and loss of habitat.

She basically agreed. The more people, the cheaper life is for each person. The fewer the resources per capita.

Why would I want to pay for someone else's child who never should have had children in the first place.

I certainly won't be having children, but if I wanted to raise a child, I'd rather raise one in need than create a new one just so it would have my genes.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: World Population Soars

quinton said:
When a lady from World Vision knocked on my door asking me to sponsor a child, I told her about the triviality of her cause compared to the real great injustice of species extinctions and loss of habitat.

She basically agreed. The more people, the cheaper life is for each person. The fewer the resources per capita.

Why would I want to pay for someone else's child who never should have had children in the first place.

I certainly won't be having children, but if I wanted to raise a child, I'd rather raise one in need than create a new one just so it would have my genes.

Yes, let innocent children die in Africa, but save the 'spotted grey-horned owl'. Don't be a tool. I guess we shouldn't worry then about massive famines, or the AIDS epidemic since it'll cut down the population?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I believe the sentiment expressed by quinton was not one of preference of other species of humans, MMMike, but rather one of reluctance to have a child of his or her¹ own while there are children out there who are in so much need.

:!: (Revised) Footnote
¹ Sorry, quinton, not sure about your gender... nothing to indicate such in your post.

quinton

Electoral Member
Jan 20, 2006
Yeah, I actually think it would be scary if a cure for AIDS was discovered... there are too many people and human life is cheap when there are so many of us.

Biodiversity is suffering and there aren't enough resources to go around when we are past carrying capacity.

Economic growth actually motivates developed countries to let in immigrants from developing countries with dense populations and high birth rates.

Allowing population move from high density places to low density places will result in loss of wilderness and the overall richness of life on earth.

The USA and Canada are supporting the concept of perpetual global population growth by letting in so many immigrants.

I hope no cures for AIDS will be found... There are simply too many people for our own good.

Imagine a world of finite resources. It is clear that the more people, the less resources there is to go around between each human, and then what about other wild animals who need habitat? More and more of their habitat goes to supporting humans.

As long as there is capitalism and there is a dollar to be made, consumption per capita will not go down.

Therefore reversing population growth is the only thing that could save the quality of life on this planet.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Re: RE: World Population Soars

MMMike said:
Yes, let innocent children die in Africa, but save the 'spotted grey-horned owl'. Don't be a tool. I guess we shouldn't worry then about massive famines, or the AIDS epidemic since it'll cut down the population?

Disease is an effective way to control population. The more and more we cure, the more and more that will arise. You can't stop it. This is what happens when populations sizes spiral out of control.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It cracks me up when people say they would never have a kid, they'd adopt... as though that is just so easy to do. I've heard that from so many parents in my work... "well, I never wanted to have kids, but then I met Joe"... Christ, didn't Angelina Jolie even say that before Brad Pitt?

If people feel really strongly about lowering the population of humans, I'm surprised they never put their money where their mouths are. I don't know why it's always someone else who should die so the world isn't so overpopulated.