Women's Hockey Team Booz-Up

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Mark my words, nobody cares.

They had a celebration, and smoked a few cigars.
They're gold medal athletes who deserve it.

You don't think the skiers, or curlers celebrate?

I suppose it would be the dignified Canadian thing to go sit down with Peter Mansbridge for a 3 hour discussion on the academic origins of hockey or something.
Kevin Martin is known to have a few wobblies after a game...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I am so proud of the Women's Hockey team's achievement however their post-game booz-up on the ice has left a very dark mark on an otherwise flawless performance.
There is no disputing that they earned the gold. I am just so dishearted about how they took their gold medals and such a prestigious hard-earned win "the Canadian way" then dragged it through the mud to the corner bar! Whatever where they thinking?!?!? Where was the coach/assistant coaches/ANYBODY!!!!!!
Mark my words, this will NOT just go away. This is a stigma that many of the ensuing teams (especially the upcoming mean's team) will bear the brunt of, for years!
.....soooo sooo sad.
As a side bar - as if this isn't bad enough - one of the girls is under-age. .....wonderful!

First of all this is a special once in a life time occasion, second who was harmed by it? Is drinking beer and champaign an evil thing? All I can say is if this is F-----g news, then it's getting to be a dull world. So one participant was a month shy of the legal age- I guess none of us drank before the appointed date. What would you like to see happen? The game winning participant shackled and hauled off to jail? Maybe this comes under the heading of MINDING YOUR OWN F------G BUSINESS.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I can't believe this is even an issue. The sport is called "Women's Hockey". Not "Little Girl's Hockey". Women are allowed to have a celebratory drink after the games. Especially women who have won us a gold medal. The players all took the following Olympic oath:

I see nothing in that oath that would prohibit having a snort after your sport is over.

OH BUT #Juan, one of the participants was 30 days shy of being legal. Maybe her team mates are to blame for contributing to juvenile delinguency and should be shackled, hand cuffed and hauled off to jail to be processed to the fullest extent of the law...................at least that would make one poster happy................:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Response to post #3.

I smoked for 30 years, then gave it up cold turkey, and said many times (AND I MEANT IT) that no amount of money could ever entice me to go back to smoking again.

However, if I had the talent, strength, ambition, desire and work ethic to be a part of a Gold Medal Winning Olympic team, I would join my team mates for a few puffs on a cigar.

This is nothing but a tempest in a tea pot.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I heard some of them were smoking cigars. An athlete smoking, what were they thinking? An athlete should know better than that. I can understand drinking. After winning the gold, there is bound to be a touch of high spirits. As to underage drinking, well nobody supports these things, but they do happen, it is not unheard of.

But smoking? They need a lesson on the ill effects of smoking. I would think the last thing an athlete would do is smoke.

Yeah, I wonder how life shortening the smoking of one cigar would be, statistically that is- probably 10-12 seconds. :lol:

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
I am so proud of the Women's Hockey team's achievement however their post-game booz-up on the ice has left a very dark mark on an otherwise flawless performance.
There is no disputing that they earned the gold. I am just so dishearted about how they took their gold medals and such a prestigious hard-earned win "the Canadian way" then dragged it through the mud to the corner bar! Whatever where they thinking?!?!? Where was the coach/assistant coaches/ANYBODY!!!!!!
Mark my words, this will NOT just go away. This is a stigma that many of the ensuing teams (especially the upcoming mean's team) will bear the brunt of, for years!
.....soooo sooo sad.
As a side bar - as if this isn't bad enough - one of the girls is under-age. .....wonderful!

The only problem i see is it was in "public view" ok so next time they just celebrate next time in the room. Its not uncommon for any team to do something similar to this.

It does not matter if you are from usa,russia, mexican, etc... there a rules you are suppose to obey especially since you got other countries in your country.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Oh come on, they had a couple drinks and smoke a couple stogies.

If that isn't Canadian, I can't imagine what is.

If you recorded the sounds of all the alcoholic beverage containers being opened that eve, upon the revelation of their win, and played them back all at once, you could have likely registered it on a seismograph in Russia!

This is much ado about nothing. First, you have reporter whining at the IOC about what the women did in a virtually EMPTY area, not open to the public at that time, then you have a Euroweenie IOC that hasn't caught up to the times.

And if you have an issue with underage drinking, avoid Europe altogether!

Anybody else smell sour grapes here?
Yup , Did the girls behave badly because they were drinking, did they get in trouble with the law?
Then like you say .....sour grapes !
Did anyone think theyd cross their legs and drink thier tea with the pinky sticking out?
I hear alot of whining for nothing. :p

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
This will irreperably harm canandian floozie sports in the eyes of the world. I wonder if they have considered a nude calendar to raise training money for the next Olimpdic booze up.

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
god you people just don't get it. it sending the wrong message to kids. it saying its ok to smoke cigs/drink

in public view... drinking in public is against the law. You are supporting it like it was nothing. yet you all bitch and complain about other people.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
god you people just don't get it. it sending the wrong message to kids. it saying its ok to smoke cigs/drink

in public view... drinking in public is against the law. You are supporting it like it was nothing. yet you all bitch and complain about other people.
Oh yeah we live in such a perfect world of brainwashing :roll:

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC

If the kids are raised to be able to think on their own and make sensible decisions, they wouldn't be so subject to "wrong messages."

If they are going to respond to a hockey player having a cigar and a beer after a once-in-a-lifetime event by thinking it's a message telling them "it's OK to smoke and drink", I'd say they have a problem in the information processing and decision making department.

And by the way, we don't all "bitch and complain about other people"...I figure if a person wants to have a cigar and a beer, it's none of my business. Unless of course, they end up puking on my shoes - then I might have a problem with it.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Well i've got a problem with this for a couple of reasons. First and formost gloating and making a spectacle of yourself after a victory is POOR SPORTSMANSHIP. Nobody cares what you do with your team mates in the locker room. But coming out and rubbing in your victory on an international stage (and in your opponent's face).. LACKS CLASS. I know the team is better than that.

Also at this point Women's Hockey is on the knife edge of being eliminated from the Olympics because of a lack of genuine international competition. The entire field is made up of only two teams. Unappealing theatrics like this do not help their cause, it might give the IOC another excuse to ditch the game.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Also at this point Women's Hockey is on the knife edge of being eliminated from the Olympics because of a lack of genuine international competition. The entire field is made up of only two teams. Unappealing theatrics like this do not help their cause, it might give the IOC another excuse to ditch the game.

Yeah, that could be true, they might be looking for anything
to get them out, to make room for another, I don't care
what they do, it's their own business, but perhaps they
could have taken it into the dressing room, and away from
'media' viewing range, I wouldn't even 'spit' within their
sight, they are vultures.
It seems quite careless to stand around on the ice, with the media,
cameras etc. there and drink, don't they realize what
these 'creeps' are waiting for?, anything to write
stories about, but the dressing room is 'their' space, to drink and have fun
after the game.

Last edited:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Well i've got a problem with this for a couple of reasons. First and formost gloating and making a spectacle of yourself is POOR SPORTSMANSHIP. Nobody cares what you do with your team mates in the locker room. But coming out and rubbing in your victory on an international stage.. LACKS CLASS. I know the team is better than that.

I guess you could interpret their behaviour as gloating, but I thought it was more like celebrating a victory. I saw more lack of sportsmanship in the U.S. team's collective behaviour...they looked like a bunch of poor losers, in spite of the fact that they won a silver medal.

The opinion of the IOC's president is a different matter - I'm not sure where he's coming from with that rather weird viewpoint on women's hockey...I think he deemed it "unfair" that there is so much strength in just two teams. Well gee, I guess the answer to that would be to develop some strength in some other countries instead of whining about unfairness. I would think that if his version of "fairness" gets applied across the board to all the events, the Olympics would become smaller in a hell of a hurry. Perhaps he should look back on curling to see how that evolved.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
OH BUT #Juan, one of the participants was 30 days shy of being legal. Maybe her team mates are to blame for contributing to juvenile delinguency and should be shackled, hand cuffed and hauled off to jail to be processed to the fullest extent of the law...................at least that would make one poster happy................:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This makes a problem. Did the girls buy the booze before hand, knowing they were going to win? I don't think so. I think someone provided the drinks and should pay a one dollar fine payable sometime in the future.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
This makes a problem. Did the girls buy the booze before hand, knowing they were going to win? I don't think so. I think someone provided the drinks and should pay a one dollar fine payable sometime in the future.

Ha, ha...plus court costs of 10%...yeah, $1.10 sounds like a reasonable penalty.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If the kids are raised to be able to think on their own and make sensible decisions, they wouldn't be so subject to "wrong messages."

If they are going to respond to a hockey player having a cigar and a beer after a once-in-a-lifetime event by thinking it's a message telling them "it's OK to smoke and drink", I'd say they have a problem in the information processing and decision making department.

And by the way, we don't all "bitch and complain about other people"...I figure if a person wants to have a cigar and a beer, it's none of my business. Unless of course, they end up puking on my shoes - then I might have a problem with it.

Or if they charged it to my account.........................:lol::lol::lol:

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
El Barto - never said we didn't so don't even try to put words in my mouth.

countryboy
- kids follow who they like, this has nothing has parents to do with it. Parents cannot choice for htere kids who to look up to as an idle. Kids pikc them up.
Like barney for example after he was caught raping people... barney is still on tv with a different person in the suit... seriously... You need to think of kids and what you do in public before doing something stupid.once in a life-time event? its not like these women never won before in 2002... gold... wait they did.... winter Olympics also come back... will come... so don't act like this happens ever other century.

Yes we all do bitch and complain, if this was usa doing i am sure you be mouthing off right now. don't hide behind the computer desk,. Just be glad you did it to us other than Russia/Mexican etc... that is disrespectful, it does not show good sportsman ship.

oh wait i thought you said you all don't bitch and complain you just did to the usa... hum...

i wonder...