Winter Warmest Ever on Record in Canada

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
TORONTO - The winter of 2005-2006 has been Canada's warmest on record and the federal agency Environment Canada said Monday it was investigating whether it's a sign of global warming.

Between December and February, the country was 3.9 degrees above normal — the warmest winter season since temperatures were first recorded in 1948. Environment Canada climatologist Bob Whitewood said it smashed the previous record set in 1987 by 0.9 degrees.

"We saw it coming from mid-January on that we were seeing something quite remarkable," Whitewood said.

The experience has been similar south of the border where the U.S. National Climatic Data Center said the winter has been the fifth warmest on record. December through February are considered meteorological winter.

It was especially balmy in Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Northwest Territories, where temperatures were 6 to 8 degrees above normal.

Whitewood said the last 10 winters have been warmer than normal and along with this winter reflect a trend that could be explained as global warming. He said Environment Canada would spend the next year examining the data to see if it's an aberration or evidence of a trend.

While some Canadians have been delighted by the milder winter, many are disappointed about thinner ice for ice skating and hockey and less snow in the ski resorts. Several islands off Nova Scota were inundated by thousands of pregnant seals forced to give birth on shore by unusually mild weather that has prevented the Gulf of St. Lawrence from freezing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060314/ap_on_re_ca/canada_warmest_winter

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Gees, thanks for posting this. I was starting to think that if I didn't post about Global Warming, nobody would, and I had given up.

It IS the biggest issue of today - how many here have even seen a terrorist? Does ANYONE feel threatened right now?

NO? - but the problems of global warming cannot be avoided. This is the big one.

These warm temperatures show us that there will not be an even pace of warming, it will "go in fits and starts". That means upheaval, not a gentle move to tropical climate.

There will be CASCADE events, where one factor causes other factors to increase:
EG. - When the Tundra melts, it will give off a lot of CO2, and that will make it wrmer, etc.
EG2 - when the ocean plankton die off, they will give off COs.
EG3 When the artic ice and snow melts, the sunlight will be absorbed instead of reflected.
EG4 Drought causes fires and smoke - a lot of CO2

So, the need to reduce emissions, and in so the burning of hydrocarbons,[fossil fuels], is paramount.
BIG.
NEEDS TO START NOW.

WE need to start right now to contact our MPs and get them making motions in parliament to reduce emissions and increase the alternative zero-emissions energy projects with the current govenrmental budgetary surpluses.

Karlin
[thanks again IThinkNot]

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005
RE: Winter Warmest Ever o

Here outside Edmonton we didnt' have snow until a couple weeks ago, and then we got a foot or two at my house. I remember when I was a kid, there'd be this much in December, and I only recall a couple weeks where the temps were above 0. when my dad was my age he could ride his snowmobile over fences there was soo much snow. I think the Earth has been warming up for a long time independent of CO2 levels, but our emmissions are excellerating the problem. We might have to take action within ten years from now to try and trick the planetary systems to avoid another ice age. If it's a cycle, this is obviousely where we're heading. I don't think cutting emmissions will do anything but buy us some time.

I heard that scientists were working on a plan to dissolve iron into the the ocean to increase phytoplankton populations. Phytoplankton acts as a binding agent in the formation of rain drops. This could increase rainfall and snow pack in the mountains to eleviate some of our problems. This could be disasterous if they create too much, or inadvertantly create some other kind of eco disaster.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Global warming has been quite politicized by both left
and right, with the Left dictating that all must agree it
is because of mankind, and the right disavowing any
validity to it.

A lot of this conversation assumes the Sun is constant
and the molten radioactive core of the Earth is
constant.

We have only begun to measure those two so-called
constants, or as it should really be described as variables.

There is no doubt mankind needs to explore
new energy sources and no doubt only discoveries
and inventions will trump the politics of this subject.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
definately the warmest winter I have experienced in Calgary....we had all of what, half a dozen days colder than -20c