windows Eight Disasters.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
I ungraded to windows eight on Saturday Oct eight and received a 'corrupted download'. After some heated discussions Monday morning, I had some additional downloads and a back up disk hurried to me.
Thanks to Shaw mail, my deleted e - mail ahs been recovered in a 'bunch' and I am resorting it into files.
I would advise at this time to stay with windows Seven.

Has any one else had this experience?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The joys of microsoft. Best solution is get a Mac. Even those of us that are more or less computer illiterate can run them.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
At the moment my XP operating systemis running fine. When I am forced to change, I'll download the latest version of LINIX. I've paid money to buy windows over the years and I won't pay anymore.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
At the moment my XP operating systemis running fine. When I am forced to change, I'll download the latest version of LINIX. I've paid money to buy windows over the years and I won't pay anymore.

Actually, upgrading to Windows Seven would be OK.
Windows seven is ( for now) a pretty stable system.
I just don't get what M-soft is trying to do these days. They could have provided an advanced sys of windows seven

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I just don't get what M-soft is trying to do these days. They could have provided an advanced sys of windows seven

I think they're like Star Trek movies...you can count on every other one to bomb.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Neither Micro$ or Apple could care less about anyone over 50ish. Windows 8 and Apples new OS are merely a form of candy for kids, turnips for the rest of us.
btw, there are over a 100 thousand programs for windows, a small handfull for Apple OS. Both machines have the exact same internals to run them, kinda like bragging about your Lincoln to a guy who had a Mercury, same underneath, different price for suckers.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

What's the price of a Windows Seven upgrade for xp these days?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
The exact reason why I went with a Mac. You do pay a premium for it though, they aren't cheap.
I think its because apple won't allow their hardware and software to be cloned. :(

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I thinks its because apple won't allow their hardware and software to be cloned. :(

It's not that I think it's one is necessarily better or worse, I don't. I just want to have, in my home computer anyway, a simple straight forward system that's easy to use. One where I don't need to mess around with updates/upgrades/resolve conflicts, etc. And most of the people I've talked to that have Macs have, on average, had them for at least 2.5 times as long as I would go between upgrading my PC anyway. So while the Mac is more of an up front cost, it probably averages out over time. And I don't have to mess around with it to use it, which is what I want.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I have Windows 7.... I now have a laptop...this is the first computer that I have purchased that came right off of the shelf. I have always gone to a builder, laid out my wants, wishes and needs and he would build it. The nice thing was he would then ghost whatever I wanted onto the new one. All I had to do was open it up and away I went.

I did everything myself. If there were problems I would research it and load or purge, I was always cruising sites for speed and to understand what my computer needed and how I would go about doing it. Meh, I am bored with that now. I just want to turn it on and have it work and do exactly what I need. I am tired of whistles and bells.

I can't go Mac because it doesn't handle the whole Office Program especially Word, Access, and Excel and I currently have Office 2013. When I retire I will get a Mac...in the mean time, this will have to do.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I can't go Mac because it doesn't handle the whole Office Program especially Word, Access, and Excel and I currently have Office 2013. When I retire I will get a Mac...in the mean time, this will have to do.

Sure it does, I have MS Office on my Mac and I save things all the time, in a windows compatible format, to email to work that I can then use on my PC.

Just saying.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Sure it does, I have MS Office on my Mac and I save things all the time, in a windows compatible format, to email to work that I can then use on my PC.

Just saying.
but don't you have to buy a special version?

I get all mine for free.

the whistles and bells are crap. :(
I thought they were cool when I was younger and interested...now I couldn't give a crap. That's what happens when you get old...lol.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
but don't you have to buy a special version?

I get all mine for free.

I bought MS Office Home and Student, on sale you can probably find it for $100 or so. Granted more costly than free, but it doesn't break the bank, lol.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I bought MS Office Home and Student, on sale you can probably find it for $100 or so. Granted more costly than free, but it doesn't break the bank, lol.
I had the student version but then upgraded when I was offered the whole package...2013 looks like craps by the way and doesn't do anything special...stick to 2010

I have to have it for work. No choice.

And soon they will make us do skill upgrades...I remember people struggling in the last class because they had Macs....that's not going to be me...

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Get 7 its a descent OS.

Open Office is free folks.