Wind farms: the monuments to lunacy

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Part of the issue with wind farms has been and always will be location.

The original post mentions 470' turbines. I wouldn't want to live near that: its a mountain. I can't blame other people for not wanting to live beside that either. It would be in the same realm as someone building a refinery or landfill site near you. if it can be done in an industrial setting, then well and good, but I can totally understand a village wanting to fight something like that going in too close to them. Noise pollution and aesthetics DO matter when it comes to property value...

My local municipality is looking at millions in tax revenue from these wind farms. I'll take two turbines if it means I don't have to pay property tax. That village probably doesn't get to see any revenue from these thing (I'm not sure how it works in the UK) and that may be part of the problem.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Long before there was steam there was wind energy.....

Don't forget hydro!

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Because we can't go with ONE option moving forward from petroleum. We need to scavenge.

We already use other sources such as natural gas and coal. Business likes it when the greens go nuts over wind and solar because biz gets handouts, those independent private corporations like free money too.

Says here, according to the Geological Survey of Canada, that western Canada has enough geothermal to supply the country with one million times its current electrical consumption. We could supply our current electricity needs with about 100 new plants which produce no significant GHGs, and would be profitable. And no need for rare earth minerals either which wind power requires, minerals which China is hoarding is right now.

B.C., Canada sitting on 'massive' store of geothermal energy: Report

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Grouse Mountain in Vancouver has a big windmill at the peak, which you can see from the city. I don't On a small scale wind seems fine, on a large scale it is beginning to resemble a Fighter jet program.

In this article below, they talk about BC being self sufficient in energy by 2016 and they hope wind power makes a contribution. Starting with one windmill! What propaganda.

Grouse Mountain wind turbine hooked up - British Columbia - CBC News

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I dont know about them being self sufficient but power flows both ways on the Alberta/ BC grid right now.Whoever needs it most at the time gets it.
You will see a new windmill in southern Alberta planted every day now for many years,and a new powerline to transmit the power to BC,and the usa in maybe a year,I work on these projects as a prefferred contractor right now so I see it happening.
Get used to the windfarms,they are a nice clean energy source.

Last edited:

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I have videos on you tube of these bad boys while standing under one,they are impressive.
The blades are the size of the wings on a 747.

A 747, huge, and just one blade. I wonder how a geothermal energy plant compares in acreage to a wind farm. I would guess the geothermal plant is much smaller and quieter. Smaller footprint, less impact on locals and the view. Geothermal power may be more green than wind power.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
i'll ask the experts today as im assisting them in getting the triple 7 power line into B.C. rec'd out and re energized so we dont have to keep relying on very expensive B.C. hydro for our power here while the line is on the ground.

I would gladly pay BC Hydro for my electricity. We live in Grande Prairie and I see bills from my BC clients. They pay less than half what we pay for Hydro. My monthly bill is over $200 even in the summer. One of my clients has a compareable house and shop and pays about $140 for his bi-monthly bill. Yes! thats right! Last year my total for the year was $2737. My clients was $1326.

Deregulation has done Albertans alot of harm!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
We already use other sources such as natural gas and coal. Business likes it when the greens go nuts over wind and solar because biz gets handouts, those independent private corporations like free money too. http://www.vancouversun.com/technol...e+geothermal+energy+Report/5396759/story.html

This may come as a bit of a shock to you but with very few exceptions, infrastructure is built with public funds regardless of who owns or operates it. Whether it's roads, telephone polls, power lines, oil wells or the internet, government has historically had it's finger as one point or other.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
This may come as a bit of a shock to you but with very few exceptions, infrastructure is built with public funds regardless of who owns or operates it. Whether it's roads, telephone polls, power lines, oil wells or the internet, government has historically had it's finger as one point or other.

Govt didn't pay for oil wells. Private biz made a killing off oil. Roads are to get somewhere and everyone benefits. Govt is to pay for as little as possible, that's the idea. That makes cheaper power. Then like BC Hydro, they sell it, for a profit, so they can build more dams and generate more power.

Wind farms simply generate power more expensively than hydro, coal or oil. And wind power is subsidized everywhere. Geothermal makes run of river projects very small time.

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
They do just fine here without subsidies.As far as technical they dont get much more tech then these.
No they don't do fine anywhere. And when the winds don't blow and the electrons don't flow you need a backup powerplant anyway.

In Ontario they had a surplus of power but went ahead and installed more than $2 billion worth anyway. Electrons can't be stored so Ontario sells it to NY.

LOL NY charges Ontario(!) for taking the power.

Amount of greening in Ontario? SFA,

In addition, Ontario now has the biggest non-national debt of any political entity on the planet.

Similar experiences in the EU.

BTW Gerald Butts was the guy who helped bankrupt the Province of Ontario.