Will you buy a Chyrsler of Fiat to support Ontario Economy now?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Fiat is a bit of an amoeba that has swallowed up quite a few auto makers like Lancia, Ferrari, Opel, and quite a few others. Chrysler would be just one more. If anything, Chrysler's product quality would go up. I wouldn't buy a Chrysler product right now but I might look at them in the future.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I wouldn't buy one to support Ontario.

It's bad enough our tax dollars are bailing these incompetent bast--ds out. My first inclination would be to support a Canadian province but right now they don't build a car I want and I can't see buying an inferior car to support Ontario. If they build good cars, people will buy them.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Give me a decent discount and I will consider buying a Chrysler product. Top that off by saying that the product was built by non-union labour and you get me a bit closer.

But I will still prefer a Toyota.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
My first inclination would be to support a Canadian province but right now they don't build a car I want and I can't see buying an inferior car to support Ontario. If they build good cars, people will buy them.

I wouldn't do anything I wouldn't normally do just to help out a province. I'm like you in that I would buy a Chrysler if it was worth buying and not until. I find the OP kind of funny. What would have been the reaction to a question like "would you buy a gas guzzling SUV to support the Alberta Economy" or "would you build a garage to support the BC Economy"?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If Chrysler quality goes up I would.....I have purchased Chrysler product in the past....

No, just traded an old Dodge Caravan (which hasn't been a bad vehicle for 7 years) on a 2005 Pontiac Vibe, which I suspect should last me for the duration.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I wouldn't do anything I wouldn't normally do just to help out a province. I'm like you in that I would buy a Chrysler if it was worth buying and not until. I find the OP kind of funny. What would have been the reaction to a question like "would you buy a gas guzzling SUV to support the Alberta Economy" or "would you build a garage to support the BC Economy"?

Buying a car to support a provincial economy must be pretty far down the list of best reasons to buy a car. I would think that most people probably buy a particular car because it fits their needs, or it get's great gas mileage, or it seats six adults. My wife might buy a car because she likes the colour but that is no worse than all the British sports cars I bought because they cornered well or they just looked cool or the engine sounded great. Supporting the provincial economy would likely fall behind all of the reasons I mentioned.;-)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Buying a car to support a provincial economy must be pretty far down the list of best reasons to buy a car. I would think that most people probably buy a particular car because it fits their needs, or it get's great gas mileage, or it seats six adults. My wife might buy a car because she likes the colour but that is no worse than all the British sports cars I bought because they cornered well or they just looked cool or the engine sounded great. Supporting the provincial economy would likely fall behind all of the reasons I mentioned.;-)

That is exactly where Harper is missing the boat- pouring $4 billion into propping up Chrysler, instead allocate the $4 billion into one million packages of $4000 payable to Canadians who purchase a brand new Chrysler product, that way the money won't get squandered and Chrysler would do a booming business.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I'm in the market for a new car. I've decided a honda civic. Made in Canada, good gas mileage. Cheap reliable transportation...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have 240,000 km on my Toyota and it is still running fine after over eight years. If I buy a new car it will be because I want some of the new features, not because this car is worn out.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
lol They all have some pretty annoying faults, Mr. Wolf. Most are a nightmare to replace a simple oil pan gasket, for instance.
The problem with vehicles is that they have been increasingly engineered to complexity. And it just makes sense that the more complicated something is, the more expensive it is and the more expensive it is to maintain and repair.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Once upon a time they took all the hard-to-get at parts and put them all together in a Rambler ... then Chrysler bought it....

Gone are the days one could comfortably sit in the engine room.