Wildrose support blooms

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The next radical idea they would probably bring in is to stop equalization payments to the east.
That should cause all you easterners to piss your pants!!

You forget that it was the east that supported Alberta before their oil strike and it was eastern investors that put money into the initial Alberta oil sands development so don't sell the easterners short and it was the easterners that supported Alberta when the bottom temporarily fell out the oil patch back in the 1980s even after Alberta told the easterners to “Let eastern bastards freeze in the dark.”

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Hahaha, and just what eastern story book are you getting your information from??

You forget that it was the east that supported Alberta before their oil strike]

And just what kind of support do you give AB?

and it was eastern investors that put money into the initial Alberta oil sands development FONT]

Oh, really?? GCOS was the first oil sands developer, an American company !!! Get your facts straight !!!
and it was the easterners that supported Alberta when the bottom temporarily fell out the oil patch back in the 1980s even after Alberta told the easterners to “Let eastern bastards freeze in the dark.”
Hahaha, it was the easterners who caused the problem in the first place, they wanted AB's wealth !!

Better get yourself a better storybook !!

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
You forget that it was the east that supported Alberta before their oil strike and it was eastern investors that put money into the initial Alberta oil sands development so don't sell the easterners short and it was the easterners that supported Alberta when the bottom temporarily fell out the oil patch back in the 1980s even after Alberta told the easterners to “Let eastern bastards freeze in the dark.”

Eastern investors like Sun Oil? They called it "Great Canadian Oilsands" to make it more palatable to Canadians.
I was there in 65 and i actually worked for Sun oil. Was in fact sent to Marcus Hook Pennsylvania on a training course to Sun Oil's refinery complex.
Just so easy to forget the NEP, which was the real reason for the bottom falling out, and created by your hero. The Crow rate, Quebec pork, Ontario saying when Alberta was down......no new pipe lines cause we can buy it cheaper from Venezuela. They are still buying from Venezuela but loving the oil revenues that go to equalization payments while vilifying it as dirty oil.
I am trying to remember "equalization" payments coming Alberta's way back in the day when Ontario had a huge manufacturing and resource industry and deep pockets.
The west and the Maritimes were the peasants.

Where was the east when my grandparents were living in a soddy in Saskatchewan. No bleeding hearts around to want to help feed and cloth real working folks in those days but they made it.
If the west had had the equivalent of what paybec got from the feds we would have owned their asses much sooner, but better late than never;-)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
When they have the cheque book and the money to back it up.

Equalization payments come from the tax collected by the Federal Government. The Province of Alberta doesn't pay Ottawa, the tax payers in Alberta do.

For all the time you've been ranting about Equalization, you don't know a damned thing about it.

Read and learn:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/ResearchPublications/prb0820-e.pdf

Not Withstanding Clause

That clause applies to specific sections of our Charter of Rights and Freedoms. A province can't use the notwithstanding clause on behalf of it's residents to avoid paying Federal taxes.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
From Wild Rose website:

-------
Another critical area of concern is the massive transfer of wealth between Alberta and Canada’s so-called ‘have-not’ provinces. In 2009 alone, Alberta taxpayers sent $21 billion more to the federal government for direct use by other provinces than we received in return. This equates to roughly $5,700 for every man, woman and child in our province – by far the largest contribution per capita in Canada. A much larger portion of these dollars should be returned to Alberta for our infrastructure, health care, education and deficit reduction needs.

DEFENDING ALBERTA
Take an aggressive stance with the federal government in regards to the equalization program in order to ensure that billions more of Albertans’ hard-earned tax dollars remain in the province, working for the benefit of Albertans
Exercise our provincial constitutional rights by demanding that the federal government not regulate our industry or property in the name of “environmental protection”

------------
That's $ 22,800.00 (5700 x 4) for a family of four.

What family of four could not use an additional $23k income, but to pay it to someone who just pisses it away is really something else!!!

------
That's almost $ 2k per month !!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
From Wild Rose website:

-------
Another critical area of concern is the massive transfer of wealth between Alberta and Canada’s so-called ‘have-not’ provinces. In 2009 alone, Alberta taxpayers sent $21 billion more to the federal government for direct use by other provinces than we received in return. This equates to roughly $5,700 for every man, woman and child in our province – by far the largest contribution per capita in Canada. A much larger portion of these dollars should be returned to Alberta for our infrastructure, health care, education and deficit reduction needs.

DEFENDING ALBERTA
Take an aggressive stance with the federal government in regards to the equalization program in order to ensure that billions more of Albertans’ hard-earned tax dollars remain in the province, working for the benefit of Albertans
Exercise our provincial constitutional rights by demanding that the federal government not regulate our industry or property in the name of “environmental protection”

------------
That's $ 22,800.00 (5700 x 4) for a family of four.

What family of four could not use an additional $23k income, but to pay it to someone who just pisses it away is really something else!!!

------
That's almost $ 2k per month !!

wow...pretty much ALL the income tax I pay the feds goes to equalization? :roll:

Like I said, Durry is the perfect spokesperson for the Alberta Liberals and NDP.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Not Withstanding Clause

That would not apply in this case. The so called Notwithstanding Clause does not apply to the collecting of federal revenues. There is no way to opt out of the obligation all Albertans have of paying taxes to the Federal government, and once the government has the money it can spend it any way that it wishes.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
How come everybody who doesn't live in AB knows what is best for AB?
Good question. Seems to me AB has done ok for itself for the most part. And that is a bit annoying to me considering we are right beside AB and for the most part have had duds for gov'ts since Bennett Sr. F'n morons are too stupid to take a page or two from AB's book and run with it.

BTW, equalization payments are only a part of transfer payments. Provinces can use equalization payments any way they choose but the Social Transfer Payments are strictly for things like post-sec ed., social assistance, social services. Health Transfer payments are strictly to be used for "maintaining the national criteria" for Canada's public health care according to the Canada Health Act.

It isn't like AB is actually paying more than anyone else, it's simply not getting as much back.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Good question. Seems to me AB has done ok for itself for the most part. And that is a bit annoying to me considering we are right beside AB and for the most part have had duds for gov'ts since Bennett Sr. F'n morons are too stupid to take a page or two from AB's book and run with it.
If Vancouver and the Island were ran seperately the rest of BC would be in awesome shape and Van/Van Island in even deeper ****.

I'd say it's a no brainer, two main reasons.............Oil and the fact most Albertans have a good work ethic.
Yeah half of SK went to go there to build the joint.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes and No..........Vancouver Island was booming (Port Alberni was to top payroll town in B.C.) until the environmentalists stuck their noses into things. Lumber, pulp and paper were king. Now the boom towns of Gold River, Tahsis and Zeballos are ghost towns. Port Hardy could be next.

SpectateSwamp

Apr 19, 2011
Anybody but Chamber of Commerce members - ANYBODY

Politicians from most parties have the backing of the Chamber of Commerce. That's the problem. They rig the political forums and plant questions so no non-business candidates ever get elected. I've caught them on video doing it.

In the future I'll run in every election possible. Not to win but to prevent the Chamber from getting away with their Illegal treasonous acts. My plan is to attack the moderator and their questions. If the fix is in. I will be there to out it. Just look at the softball questions the republican caucuses have. It's pathetic.

In our last Civic forum our group had 165 questions the citizens wanted asked. We had hoped they would each pick from the hat. That didn't happen. The CofC asked 3 questions (all known in advance) each was answered 13 times. How boring and un-democratic. The one question they asked was "should the corporate vote be reinstated.

At the previous Federal election the public was prevented from attending... They are the worst at putting on forums and should face jail time for this.
OLIVER FEDERAL CANDIDATES FORUM TO BE CLOSED TO PUBLIC | Osoyoos Times

What should we do with an organization like this?

Last edited: