Why would Harper even want to call an election?

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
just a thort here... but if we had "another terrorist attack" against the us involving the border...and what say just for a lark, we blame iran, what would that do to any elections in the wings....remembering that steve is a shrub supporter/suppository

catman

Electoral Member
Sep 3, 2006
Actually it might not be a bad idea for the Conservatives to call an election before Afghanistan becomes a major issue again.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Chretien won a majority with 38% of the vote.

The Conservatives are currently sitting on 36%. 40% pretty much guarantees a majority but 38 or 39% is still possible for a majority.

With the population boom in the West and mostly Alberta, it's not impossible for 7 or 8 more seats to become available by the next election. At least 5 or 6 of those seats will go Tory Blue with the others likely going NDP or even Green. The Liberal party is practically extinct West of Ontario. As the West gains more and more power, the Liberal party may never rule this country ever again.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

It would not be in the best interest of Harper to call an election because under his leadership in the past year the conservative party accomplished very little.

He had his environmental minister sign onto to the Kyoto agreement but this hasn’t fooled most Canadians because if he gets a majority he can cancel this deal if he wants to.

The liberal party has a good track record on helping all Canadians not just a few as with the conservative.

We just have to wait and see what kind of federal budget Harper will give us and if it’s bad then what will happen will happen.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The liberal party has a good track record on helping all Canadians not just a few as with the conservative.
rotflmffao!!!

You're kidding right???!!!

The only people the Liberals hav helped over the last 13 years, is themselves, to our money!!!

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
You can say the same about the conservatives look at the Mulroney years that is why the liberals had a majority for for twelve years

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

Look at the conservatives and their broken promises.

I gave Harper a chance to do well, but his transparency government is not there and lets not forget the conservative broken promises.

Did he say he was not going to touch income trusts?

Did he say that he was not going to include provincial resources in the provincial equalization deals?

Lets not forget the un-elected people holding cabinet positions.

My favorite is any person crossing the floor has to sit as an independent.

These are Stephen Harper’s promises that he broke in less than a year in office.

It took Mulroney two terms before he broke his promises.

This is why the conservatives will lose the next federal election.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Just because you use big bold type, does not a good arguement make.

The ballance of corruption and promise breaking is out of wack my friend. Not that I would expect a follower of the LPoC to see the trees for the forest.

I would find the LPoC a lil easier to swallow, if all they did was break the odd promise, but they broke a multitude of those and an even greater number of sphinkters as well. Their corruption and thievery is the stuff of legends.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Look at the conservatives and their broken promises.

I gave Harper a chance to do well, but his transparency government is not there and lets not forget the conservative broken promises.

Did he say he was not going to touch income trusts?

Did he say that he was not going to include provincial resources in the provincial equalization deals?

Lets not forget the un-elected people holding cabinet positions.

My favorite is any person crossing the floor has to sit as an independent.

These are Stephen Harper’s promises that he broke in less than a year in office.

It took Mulroney two terms before he broke his promises.

This is why the conservatives will lose the next federal election.

You really don't have a clue, do you?

First of all, Mulroney was a Progressive Conservative, a party now non-existent. THe CPC is leavened with ex-Reformers, people (like myself) who left Mulroney and the PCs in disgust on matters of principle.

Funny how no Liberals departed the fold, even when Chretien was running the most corrupt government by far in Canadian history.......I suspect that is because Liberals don't understand the meaning of the word "principle".

Has Harper broken promises he made in the election?

Yes......as has every other politician that ever ran. And, I have to add, the income trust decision was absolutely necessary......couldn't be helped. At least Harper had the cojones to do what was necessary, instead of dancing around crying "Oh Me, Oh My!" like Martin...........

Harper has done as much as could be expected with a minority gov't............he is repairing our relationship with our greatest ally, he is rebuilding our military (destroyed by the Liberals), and with it our international reputation (likewise)..............

I would be very careful were I a Liberal.......well, were I a Liberal I'd go to the basement and shoot myself (with a registered rifle) out of shame, which may be why I am NOT a Liberal.....

But I digress.

I think you will find the Liberals not at all eager for a fight.

They are smart enough to know when they are out-gunned.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Maybe an early election is by design.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minority_governments_in_Canada
"As of March 9, 2007 the average duration of a minority Government in Canada is 579 Days or approximately 1 year, and 7 months."

I don't have the stats for if any party ever came back with a majority, or if one party failed more times than the other.

In a minority govt why don't they just let the people who can vote decide on the fate of any bill, like NAFTA,etc. rather than try for getting a majority.
The Fed should be from the ones elected to Provincial powers, the taxpayers are being double billed for the same services.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
We'd all love electoral form but given the size and diversity of Canada we'll always have a federal government stretched to meet expectations and constantly offering compromise. The best run states will always be smaller states where an agenda can be planned and, more importantly, achieved.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
We'd all love electoral form but given the size and diversity of Canada we'll always have a federal government stretched to meet expectations and constantly offering compromise. The best run states will always be smaller states where an agenda can be planned and, more importantly, achieved.
You can't please all of the people all of the time.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I still think Canada will break up at some point. The map of North America in 2100 will be starkly different than what is seen today. Those provinces that are able to should be planning now for independence. When bad times finally hit - and we're overdue for a doozie as Aunt Mabel would say - we'll see the folly of trying to operate a country through equalization payments.

mcqueen625

May 2, 2011
Indeed, it was the Opposition who brought the Tory government down, and said they were going to do so, before the budget was even considered. THis was more about the Liberals wanting to regain power in Canada, and they could care less that their effort was costing Canadians another $400 Million to accomplish that. This is proof positive that minority governments are not working in Canada, since we have had 4 such trips to the polls in under 7 years. Not only is Harper steadfast in his resolve to have their agenda passed, but the Opposition are just as stuborn, in not wanting to compromise.