Why seniors shouldn’t get discounts

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Just because someone has lived on the earth for a while doesn't mean they need any special discounts. At 74 my ex boss is worth millions, someone explain to me why he needs discounts on everything.

I have an idea..... how about in recognition to their many years of contribution to society?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think the issue isn't that seniors shouldn't get discounts. I think the issue is that we almost seem to have hit a point where we need to redefine what senior means.

Dependent upon where you shop,if they have a discount, it starts at 55, 50 or 65.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Or that we have already redefined what being a senior is.
Maybe seniors arn't doing so bad anymore. Mission accomplished

That's something we can be proud of as a nation no?

No. 'Seniors' retiring at 65 are sitting pretty. How are seniors at 85 doing, after already 20 years of retirement, looking down 5 or 10 more years of life? They can use discounts, trust me.

Just because someone has lived on the earth for a while doesn't mean they need any special discounts. At 74 my ex boss is worth millions, someone explain to me why he needs discounts on everything.

because the economy can.

Also, in terms of what this article started off talking about, bus fares, it relieves traffic congestion and encourages people with ailing eye sight and memory issues to bus instead of drive

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't think we'll see them disappear entirely, but we will see them scale back quite a bit. Given the enormous volume of Boomers, a scale back on a 15% discount is going to make a vast difference to the bottom line. They won't do away with it entirely because it's a massive consumer base and they don't want to alienate them.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'll tell you one thing, being at the tale end of the boomers, if when I get to the discount age they start "scaling back" I will NOT be a happy camper.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I could really care less about 'shopping' discounts. Stores offer discounts only where it makes economic sense to do so

True- In the US many companies, by a magnitude comparable to a Richter scale offer Serving Members and Vets a discount.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Let me help get it started.

Old people are idiots!

:lol:

Proving once again that idiocy has no age boundaries.

The whole article in Macleans was well worth the read. Just finished it this AM. There are some valid points with doing away with it especially where government services are concerned.
One interesting point was making discounts needs based rather than age based because there are lots of very well off seniors that do not need discounts while there are many young people that are struggling yet they are expected to finance freebies for others that are so much better off.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't think we'll see them disappear entirely, but we will see them scale back quite a bit. Given the enormous volume of Boomers, a scale back on a 15% discount is going to make a vast difference to the bottom line. They won't do away with it entirely because it's a massive consumer base and they don't want to alienate them.

I doubt it... they do good volume business with seniors/retirees.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I'll tell you one thing, being at the tale end of the boomers, if when I get to the discount age they start "scaling back" I will NOT be a happy camper.

As opposed to now?;):p

In all seriousness, it doesn't bother me that senior citizens get discounts. In the grand scheme of things, it's not like it's really hurting anyone.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Kerri has a point here what is a senior number one. Secondly a discount on what?
While we're at it why not ban specials in stores period and promotions for that matter.
If we eliminated specials, lost leaders and celeb promotions we could reduce the cost
of product and it would be purchased because it was a quality product.
Giving out retail discounts to seniors drives the price up in the long run and cuts into
the profit margin of small business. With more and more seniors on the horizon it will
cost even more.
Now certain discounts are an advantage to society. Discounts to use community facilities
such as pools and exercise programs.
It comes down to what discounts and how much and verification the discount is being used.
Keep in mind I am a farmer, I am also a senior and yes I get pension as well. Having said
that i don't need a break on the price of pizza or bowling or the other stuff but some seniors
do benefit from health related programs. Perhaps if we had senior with affordable and
dependable transportation we would benefit. Right now they use handi dark and that is a lot
more expensive. If their income is low enough they do ride for free I understand.
It comes down to this, is the discount an investment or an expense? Therein lies the difference.