Why fighter pilots wear a Typhoon Grin

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Wednesday's Child said:
Juan

Lots to see over there anyway - pubs and museums and brrrrrrrrr the Tower of London hahaha....

Are you going into the countryside or staying in London or ?

There should be an airshow or two around that time no? Maybe they are all held in the summer months -

Blackleaf will know!

Sounds like a lovely trip - September would be a nice month too....

There's the Farnborough Airshow, which I think is the biggest, that is held for about a week in July.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Wednesday's Child said:
Sassy

Juan is an ex pilot for the Canadian Air Force....

Blackleaf is always teasing us with his aircraft information....air shows....retiring old aircraft fighters.....

I don't know much about aircraft.

I'm an ex-Royal Navy Operator Mechanic.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Talking about the Royal Navy, here's a piece of kit about to be launched by the RN -

The Sunday Times April 02, 2006

Stealth sub to give navy's SAS a hidden edge
Michael Smith

The BAE Systems Talisman mini-submarine.

A NEW remote-controlled unmanned British submarine could transform the way in which the Royal Navy’s Special Boat Service spies out beaches and landing zones.

The Talisman mini-submarine can be pre-programmed or operated by remote control to collect imagery, signals or sonar intelligence and then go on to destroy the targets it has identified.

It can also be fitted with missiles and with other much smaller unmanned mini-submarines which it can send out to collect intelligence or to search out and destroy the targets.

BAE Systems, which has developed the Talisman, said the mini-submarine would be ideal for special operations. It could also be deployed to protect coastlines and installations such as oil rigs.

“If you look at the likely missions, they are more likely to be clandestine,” said Andy Tonge, the Talisman project manager. “The likelihood of anyone detecting it is very, very low.”

Details of the previously highly classified Talisman “autonomous underwater vehicle” (AUV) emerged last week at a special operations conference in Jordan attended by representatives from the world’s leading special forces.

The BAE Systems Talisman mini-submarine, which was produced from a concept to a working system in less than a year, uses stealth technology developed for military aircraft to ensure that it cannot be easily detected.

Its 14ft hull and its internal compartments, which house the electronics suites and payload, are made of carbon-fibre composite, giving it its stealth and easy manoeuvrability.

It uses satellite communications or underwater acoustics communications to link up with its controller and weighs just under two tons.

Powered by batteries, it can remain on operations for about 24 hours but this could be dramatically extended if diesel generators were fitted to re-charge the batteries.

Talisman could be launched up to 50 miles off shore by a destroyer or a military transport aircraft such as the C130 Hercules. But the ideal covert launch vehicle would be a larger submarine.

BAE Systems is building the new Astute-class attack submarine for the Royal Navy which would provide an ideal launch vehicle. The Royal Navy is expected to turn Astute into a multi-purpose submarine. The “all-singing, all-dancing” Astute would be capable of firing Trident nuclear missiles and TLAM cruise missiles, carrying out extensive intelligence gathering and launching special forces operations.

Talisman could not replace the SBS swimmer delivery vehicle, which is used to insert troops, but it could reduce the level of risk by improving intelligence gathering and removing obstacles such as mines. The commanding officer of the SBS, Lieutenant-Colonel Richard van der Horst, died a year ago after he ran out of oxygen while trying to get out of a four-man swimmer delivery vehicle.

Talisman has carried out secret trials around the UK’s coastline, all of which have been successful, BAE Systems said last week.

thetimesonline.co.uk

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Blackleaf wrote:
There's the Farnborough Airshow, which I think is the biggest, that is held for about a week in July.

I would love to see Farnborough again and the Paris show as well. Unfortunately we are coming over in Sept. and will miss it. Farnborough is a grear flying show. The Paris show is mainly a military hardware sale.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Juan

No matter if you miss one thing - there will be lots of other things to see.

For some reason I would love to see the huge oil drilling platforms off the coast of Scotland. I saw a short film once on the construction of those huge pieces of equipment and it stuck in my head for some reason. I don't even remember who drilled or who owns them but I think they were off the coast of Aberdeen. Just the fact they are stable in those violent north coast waters is amazing.

Juan...you gonna get a (ahem) kilt to wear for possible travel into Scotland ??? hehehe

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I probably will buy a kilt.

Not buying one would be like going to the Calgary stampede and not getting a white Stetson. I doubt if I'll be wearing it there---I don't have any knee socks with gaters and garters... :p and my joggers would probably clash with the family tartan(if I had a family tartan... :wink: )

The ocean oil rigs are impressive. I've only seen them on the tube but it must be a different life when just about everything revolves around the by-weekly helicopter.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
WC and Sassy will expect pictures Juan of you in your kilt. My husband flew the Pumas off shore NFL, he called the job a glorified cab driver. Very boring and tedius but the Hibernia Platform is a work of art.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Juan

If you have family members there, you probably have some heraldic items too - such as a family crest or tartan.

It is worth investigating to add to your collection (or your wife's collection) of family memorabilia.

My husband was thrilled when my sister sent him a family crest in a frame when she went to the U.K. on a trip. (He thought his family originated in Kentucky hahaha)....

He ended up having one made for each of his kids too. It's kind of a neat thing to own. He started something though because then his dad wanted one and one for his aunt....he ended up making good friends with the guy in Edinburgh where he purchased the additional ones.

If and when you don your tartan kilt....let's have a photo of you !!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Hehe Sassy

We women think alike - both posting with our request for a "Kilt Showing" from Juan :p

About the platforms - they are gorgeous at night with the lights playing. I have heard it's a great job to get over smoking and drinking with the long shifts on the rigs....

I would probably get sea sick and be no good to anyone.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I hate flying, my other half took me for a flight in a Jet Ranger and I bawled like a baby, I had a full grown temper tantrum. Those guys and gals who work on rigs get a thumbs up from me. I couldn't stand living on a rig for 14 days, I'd go ga-ga.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Sassy

I am sorry you don't like flying....the Jet Ranger is reliable and safe tho isn't it?

Is it the altitude or the fear or the speed - which gets to you???

Hehe and you married a pilot!

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I have no idea why it terrifies me, it's the same thing in a jet or a jet ranger. I can barely draw a breath, my heart races just talking about flying. Change topic, quickly.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Britain is having more of these Typhoons than any other country.

The RAF is having 232, the Luftwaffe is having 180, the Italians are having 121, the Spanish are having 87 and the French are having 0.