Why Donald Trump No Longer Needs the Media

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
When I was fresh out of high school, I enrolled in a college program called Radio and Television Arts. In the news portion of the course, one of the tenets of reporting - not journalism, broadcast journalism or even acting as 'a correspondent' - was, "Do not colour the news!" Like Joe Friday of Dragnet fame used to say, "Just the facts, ma'am."

Back in those days, young reporters could have all the opinions they wanted, but, as editors or news directors always reminded them, they were to be kept to oneself. "You are paid to collect facts, not interpret them."

With very few exceptions, only editors got to editorialize. Hey, I wonder why they called them that?

As the years went by, reporters morphed nto other things. They started calling them "senior" reporters, bureau chiefs (when there wasn't actually a bureau), or my fave, "senior bureau chief". What happened to the Indians? Other creative titles like "head/supervising political correspondent" and "assistant editor" came along. Many newspaper and television reporters were given those monikers. Bestowed, I suspect, to make them feel important or give them an ego boost - or something flattering, instead of a raise. But these made up titles really diminished the position of editor.

In days of yore, there was only one editor! They were appointed because of their superior ability to edit grammar and spelling. They knew how to change wording to eliminate biased reporting or more correctly describe a story. Most worked with the staff to develop their skills and/or assign reporters to the areas that best suited them.

There have been a few bad apples over the years, but getting that job carried with it a big responsibility that was not lost on the incumbent.

The news world has changed, and not for the good.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
When I was fresh out of high school, I enrolled in a college program called Radio and Television Arts. In the news portion of the course, one of the tenets of reporting - not journalism, broadcast journalism or even acting as 'a correspondent' - was, "Do not colour the news!" Like Joe Friday of Dragnet fame used to say, "Just the facts, ma'am."

Back in those days, young reporters could have all the opinions they wanted, but, as editors or news directors always reminded them, they were to be kept to oneself. "You are paid to collect facts, not interpret them."

With very few exceptions, only editors got to editorialize. Hey, I wonder why they called them that?

As the years went by, reporters morphed nto other things. They started calling them "senior" reporters, bureau chiefs (when there wasn't actually a bureau), or my fave, "senior bureau chief". What happened to the Indians? Other creative titles like "head/supervising political correspondent" and "assistant editor" came along. Many newspaper and television reporters were given those monikers. Bestowed, I suspect, to make them feel important or give them an ego boost - or something flattering, instead of a raise. But these made up titles really diminished the position of editor.

In days of yore, there was only one editor! They were appointed because of their superior ability to edit grammar and spelling. They knew how to change wording to eliminate biased reporting or more correctly describe a story. Most worked with the staff to develop their skills and/or assign reporters to the areas that best suited them.

There have been a few bad apples over the years, but getting that job carried with it a big responsibility that was not lost on the incumbent.

The news world has changed, and not for the good.

Good article. I concur with the final sentence.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Subtlety, nuance, patience and in-depth analysis doesn't exist anymore in the Media...but the devil is in the details.

So now we have a generation raised on 'vacuous buzz' for information who demand a nice, short Twitter-style reason for Trump's rise to power. And the gobsmacked Media don't have a clue.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Instand trustworthy media bolstered with every burned at the stake transgresser. If you lie to the people you join the carbon cycle soonest.
You just put all politicians' heads on the chopping block. Nice move.
Oh, and I love you too but if you support Trump, you are just as deranged as Loc and some of the other right wing fruit loops on here. PLLLTTTZZZ!!! :)

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Oh, and I love you too but if you support Trump, you are just as deranged as Loc and some of the other right wing fruit loops on here. PLLLTTTZZZ!!! :)
Yet you would be the first to condemn Loc and others to the re-education camps .

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

I support what will be.