Why do Canadians still have to fight for CDA

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Canadians With Disabilities Act

Here we are approaching the 19th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Canadian goverment is still dragging it feet. You (Canada) claim to be more liberal and offer more freedoms to your citizens than the United States. You are ahead of the U.S. in most civil rights, yet there seems to be a issue with protecting the rights of more than 4 million Canadians with disabilities now and in the future. Ontario recognized that disability is an equal opportunity condition that can affect anyone at any time. and adapted the Ontarians with Disabilities Act (ODA) of 2001. Seems your goverment is spending to much time talking and not enough acting. As someone once told me, the U.S. Constitution did not exactly cover everything, nor does your Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as well as the Canadian Human Rights Act of 1977. (who's safeguards have proven ineffective with compliance being spotty or nonexistent. So what is holding up a national act?

Why do we need a national act?What concrete benefit will it provide, that isn't already covered elsewhere?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Get yourself disabled and check it out. You might find it's not as rosy a picture as you paint. We could help ya if you'd like.

I find it hard to believe that a country such as yours with many millions without health care gives a rats ass about the disabled.

It's a great thing to troll out in a forum where nothing means nothing. You got the right place.

Now, about that much touted veterans hospital with roaches, rats, and very questionable care. Got that cleaned up yet?? Didn't think so.

Care for the returned Viet and Desert Storm vets??? Didn't think so.

.:thefinger:Go ****ing troll somewhere else.

Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, or did you just roll over and kiss the floor in a thud?

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Get yourself disabled and check it out. You might find it's not as rosy a picture as you paint. We could help ya if you'd like.

I find it hard to believe that a country such as yours with many millions without health care gives a rats ass about the disabled.

It's a great thing to troll out in a forum where nothing means nothing. You got the right place.

Now, about that much touted veterans hospital with roaches, rats, and very questionable care. Got that cleaned up yet?? Didn't think so.

Care for the returned Viet and Desert Storm vets??? Didn't think so.

.:thefinger:Go ****ing troll somewhere else.

Spoken like a true Canadian.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Oh sorry, Lone Wolf, I was thinking Nuggler. But it seems you started your day on the wrong foot too.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
OK, I'm in my humourous mood at the moment. But normally, I'll tend to respond to the word, not the source.

If Hitler says that we should care for the German youth, I'd agree with him. If Mother Theresa tells someone to go to Hell, I would disagree with her. If Satan told me to love God, I'd agree with him. Like I said, I respond to the words, not the source.

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
I suspect you're not a natural born Canadian. I think you didn't experience the life altering event that seems to condem so many of your contrymen to a life of misery and self doubt.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I suspect you're not a natural born Canadian. I think you didn't experience the life altering event that seems to condem so many of your contrymen to a life of misery and self doubt.

Natural born Canadian. Born in Ottawa, lived in Ottawa, Victoria, Nanaimo, Vancouver, La Malbaie, and Montreal... in Canada. And then I'd also lived in China.

But please don't stereotype Canadians. E come in all shapes and sizes, just like the folks in Middle Earth, from the Hobbits to the Elves.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I must admit though that I have felt like a minority most of my life in Canada. I'm a visible... majority, quite white-skinned, and you'd never guess that I have some indigenous blood. But I'm a linguistic minority in most of Canada. At heart, I'm ethnically Francophone, and so a minority in English Canada. But having lived in English Canada so many years, yet surrounded by many European and African French outside the home, my accent in French is a cross between English and European French. Go figure. So I my accent kind of gives me away as a 'foreigner' in Quebec too. Then religiously I'm a minority again, which can be evident during fasting times as we don't consume any food or liquid for a month from sunrise to sunset. Kinda hard to hide that when invited for lunch. Then I'm a vegan and teetotaller, even though my dad is a hunter and drinker. And I'd served in the military and am an airforce brat myself. So even in my own family, we have a hard time understanding one another.

I think one reason has to do with my constant travels as a child as my dad had to move alot, along with the fact that even in Canada most of my friends have been non-native born Canadians as I'd been very involved in multicultural communities and organizations all my adult life and still am. Then I'd lived abroad, can speak a few languages, and read foreign-language media. Constantly jumping between cultures has a way of uprooting a person. It has disadvantages, but also the advantage of allowing us to recreate our cultural reality while many others will tend to defend tradition unquestioningly just because it is tradition.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Oh sorry, Lone Wolf, I was thinking Nuggler. But it seems you started your day on the wrong foot too.

Naw ... my day's been just fine thanks for asking.

Even the occasional troll swaggering off some belligerence through here is something worth laughing at ... or offering a shot of Agent Orange and grasshopper spit.

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, or did you just roll over and kiss the floor in a thud?

Floor in a thud. How'ja know??

Naw, just tired of dickheads dissing Canada. Ain't perfect for sure, but I wouldn't want to live in Detroit, or Arkansas

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
The ADA is just a law that makes the disabled equal to everyone, same as laws giving blacks, gays women etc, equal rights under the law. No more discrimination getting or holding a job just because your disabled. Public accommodations must be made accessible. I know in this day and age discrimination rarely happens anymore, but occasionally it rears its ugly head. Canada needs a CDA act now, time for talking about it is over. The basic's of the employment part of the law is: If a person is capable of doing a job, then they are protected. Cannot be treated differently when applying for or holding the job. No, more jobs have opened up because of the law than were lost. In fact choices of jobs have pretty much been bought up to a level playing field with everyone. The disabled are a large part of the population and deserve every right afforded anyone else.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Look who's talking about dissing a country. When something is wrong, point it out. Canada does not treat their disabled equally with everyone else.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Floor in a thud. How'ja know??

Naw, just tired of dickheads dissing Canada. Ain't perfect for sure, but I wouldn't want to live in Detroit, or Arkansas

No one wants to live in Detroit, or Ark. and that answer has nothing to do with giving equal rights to your citizens. While were talking about dickheads dissing anybody, look at all the anti American talk that goes on. But this is getting away from the subject the ADA and CDA are needed in order for the disabled to have a equal chance at everything they are capable of.