Whose death deserves respect?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I still never said you were doing it. I was talking to VI, and you attempted to reprimand and stop me from doing so. I explained why I wouldn't.

OK unless I am going crazy you are referring to ME in that post and not VI in the above reply..

I reviewed the thread and and because you did not quote anyone it looked like this post below was a general post that could apply to anyone. That is how I viewed this..

or continue highjacking it and posting personal attacks in inappropriate places. Have fun, but don't expect that you won't get reported too.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
For reasons I cannot fathom, you appear to like him and would like to protect him but most of us wish he would just be gone forever.

I'm sorry, I missed the poll. Can I still vote?

As for the topic at hand, death is irrelevant. Jackson was a respected talent that made himself into a cartoon character. Farrah was a cartoon character that made herself into a respected talent. These people were what they were and people should be allowed to discuss their lives. Gerry could have responded to the MJ threads in a mature fashion but, he chose an alternate approach. Unfortunately for Gerry, there are just too many prissy people here. Unfortunately for MJ, there are just too many people that don't like child molesters and danglers. Now, before you argue that he was never convicted and is therefore innocent, let me just say that it doesn't matter. Once accused, one is labeled for life.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
OK unless I am going crazy you are referring to ME in that post and not VI in the above reply..

I reviewed the thread and and because you did not quote anyone it looked like this post below was a general post that could apply to anyone. That is how I viewed this..

I'm guilty on occasion of just replying after the person rather than quoting. And no... if I was talking to you, I'd have said YOU. And on that note, I'm returning to the topic at hand.

Sacred cows... whose is worthy of slaughter and whose isn't?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
A certain amount of respect is reasonable, depending on who the person is. For example, if Robert Willie Picton dies, do we owe him respect? It's a sliding scale, in my opinion, and the trouble often comes when people have different ideas of how much respect is due, which seems to be the case with celebrities especially.

That said, I have no problem with making jokes, especially for those in the public spotlight.

Good heavens, when my father died (very unexpectedly), at his funeral, my siblings and I were making jokes about his lack of patience and his temper.

As for all the whining and reporting and banning members, that's just stupid, in my opinion. If you're so sensitive that you need to report someone for a comment on this forum, I think you need a dose of reality. It's pathetic to take this so seriously.
and talk about ugly...... this woman died WAY too late.

And you think this comment was taken way too seriously!!! Have you never lost someone close to you to cancer? No matter what was crudely said about MJ, it could never equal this crudely written comment.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
A certain amount of respect is reasonable, depending on who the person is. For example, if Robert Willie Picton dies, do we owe him respect? It's a sliding scale, in my opinion, and the trouble often comes when people have different ideas of how much respect is due, which seems to be the case with celebrities especially.

Yes TenPenny, even him I would respect by NOT posting a thread right away. Respect comes in many ways and the victims of such cruel people do not need reminders of such death. So yes, respect for the death would be done.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
actually, if you read through the MJ threads, you'll see that gerry was merely paraphrasing comments made in regards to MJ. Like 'he's looked dead for the last 20 years, now he can play the part'.

And this isn't just about gerry. This is about sacred cows, demanding ours be respected while we slaughter someone else's. I find it an interesting issue.
That's not true. This thread is all about gerry.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Oddly enough, yes I have. What does that have to do with anything?
Sensitivity. If you can't see that then I guess you may not have any either. Either that or you are just sticking up for someone for the sake of doing it.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Real easy explanation:

Gerry has a reputation for pissing people off, hence Gerry getting reported all the time. People pay back Gerry with the report button.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
But I DO believe in giving a long enough time for mourning, a long enough time for the reality to set in, whether one mourns or rejoices the passing. So, if you have something uncomplimentary to say, say it, but after decent period of time.

That is just plain, common decency.

This bears repeating. Time is a huge factor isn't it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Sensitivity. If you can't see that then I guess you may not have any either. Either that or you are just sticking up for someone for the sake of doing it.

I think you have an issue with hero worship of Hollywood celebrities.

I assume it's okay for me to comment on a cancer victim if I've had a family member die from cancer, or else you wouldn't have asked me that question.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Honestly...the best way to not get banned is when the Mods are telling you to chill out...do as you are told.

Back in the day I was approached by a mod who told me to take it easy on a member or else.

I did as I was told. I like it here.