Who's better: David Bowie or Bruce Springsteen?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Springsteen is good ... but he lost my respect when he started suing bar bands for performing His material. He can have his Glory Daze at someone else's expense now.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I only like Springsteen when he sings ballads, I hate his loud rock style, he always sound
completely drunk, and I can't understand anything he says, doesn't have any tune,
and a gruff growly voice, I hate it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I only like Springsteen when he sings ballads, I hate his loud rock style, he always sound
completely drunk, and I can't understand anything he says, doesn't have any tune,
and a gruff growly voice, I hate it.

I didn't listen that long but now that you've mentioned those things that was exactly what made me reach for the dial.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Bowie and Space Oddity gave me one on my most memorable almost moments the night three of us laid with our backs on the floor and our legs on the bed and we flew Apollo the apartment from Toronto to Bobcaygeon. I don't remember orbiting the moon or splashing down in the bathtub ... but I'm typing this today so I survived.....

No other tune sums up as well the mind warp that was my trip through the early seventies....

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Bowie and Space Oddity gave me one on my most memorable almost moments the night three of us laid with our backs on the floor and our legs on the bed and we flew Apollo the apartment from Toronto to Bobcaygeon. I don't remember orbiting the moon or splashing down in the bathtub ... but I'm typing this today so I survived.....

No other tune sums up as well the mind warp that was my trip through the early seventies....

The early seventys were a lot clearer, things are fuzzy now but my glasses are five years old, it still won't be as clear as it was then even if I get new blinkers.:smile:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Springsteen's a knob anyways.....

I would say Bowie.... he changed the way people seek rock, he brought the glam to it (Ziggy), he has more #1's and memorable songs many around the world could easily recognize, changed his looks with the times over and over again, jumped into the fashion industry......

Hell, overall, Bowie has such a long list of acomplishments, how could one not vote for him?

What have Springsteen done?

Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

Wow, great lyrics..... makes me feel like driving a nailgun into my temple..... not because of the USA thing.... well that..... but also it's repetitiveness..... there's no talent there.

Spring is only known for having good looks the girls dug in the 80's and performing US Drum thumping music..... that's why he's famous to begin with.

I'm not a giant fan of Bowie, but there are more songs of his I like, then there are for Springsteen, and overall, when you pit them next to one another in their acomplishments, Bowie has done it all in comparison.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I say Bowie just because of Ziggy Stardust alone. But he has so much more than that.

But the Boss is known for so much more than "Born in the USA" which is a big anti-USA song that a lot of folks never got.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
If you think that 'Born in the USA' is in any way representative of Springsteen's work, then you're sadly mistaken.

Springsteen was the classic young man / working class songwriter. Bowie was the classic multisexual dance guy.

I could never relate to Bowie, maybe because my sexual orientation wasn't vague enough.

The Rangers had a homecomin
In Harlem late last night
And the Magic Rat drove his sleek machine
Over the Jersey state line...

gallivant101

Oct 6, 2008
Mississippi
Definately have to give it to Bowie.

I've never been able to get into Springsteen's sound... except for E Street Shuffle, that one's kinda fun for some reason.