Whoa - forum invaded by scammers?!

bogie

Electoral Member
Jun 21, 2002
Barrie, ON Canada
maltesefalcon.bogart.com
Just received a Private Message, on this forum, from the well-known scammers, but new wording. (never seen this thing being done on a forum before (user name being used: mrslita_kabila)

Do the moderators ban these accounts as they are reported?
-----------------------------------------------------------
EXCERPT:
Abidjan,
Tel/+22507598653
Dearest,

PLEASE REPLY ME WITH THIS PRIVATE EMAIL
mrslita_kabila80@yahoo.co.uk

It is my pleasure to contact you for a business
venture which I and my Son Mack,intend to establish in
your country.Though I have not met with you before but
I believe,one has to risk confiding in succeed
sometimes inlife.

........... etc ..........................................

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Welp, I got the private message too, and the user has been deleted at once. I'm shocked! It's like email spam, but on these forums!

Something will be done to further deter spammers.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I'm not sure what you can do about it, Andem. Kudos for trying though.

This woman could very well want the money for her and her son Bevvyd. That doesn't make it any less of a scam...I don't want her and heer son spending my money any more than I want that guy in Africa spending it...but the most successful scams are the ones that start with a grain of truth.

I never got a PM, which kind of makes me feel left out, but in a good way.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
RB

Yes this woman may have wanted the money for her son, however I do believe there are several other ways to legitimately ask for financial help.

Spamming in a forum is not one of them.

And for the record, I do help my fellow mankind when I can, and I have.

Prometheus

Electoral Member
Jul 12, 2003
Eastern USA
I have seen similar "stories", most sent via postal service or email. I put no stock in it whatsoever. Perhaaps a post on the forum might have been a little more effective and believable, not a chain PM message.

bogie

Electoral Member
Jun 21, 2002
Barrie, ON Canada
maltesefalcon.bogart.com
The whole post reeks of variants of the infamous Nigerian Scam that has plaqued email for so long. Forums may be their new target audience, and trying to add fake legitimacy to their scam. If forum moderators are not vigilant, then I expect to see this type of post on other forums that I am on.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I wasn't being critical of you, Bevvyd.

I do believe it was just another scam. From the description it sounds like it may have some basis in fact though...this woman may be working with her son to scam people.

There are two things that make scams work...appealing to people's greed and appealing to their better natures. A grain of truth, or at least plausibility, is helpful to both but when it comes to taking advantage of people's better natures, the more truth the better.