Where to live in Vancouver?

Northboy

Electoral Member
You can easily rent for that.

Wait for a few years. The housing bubble in Vancouver will burst and you'll be able to buy condos for half price.

Don't live on East Hastings or Surrey.

How far up East Hastings? I used to run the TD Bank at Hastings and Rosser in Burnaby, which is the start of the Capital Hill district, I though it was pretty nice.

Also, Surrey is an awful big place. Some places south of 64th AVE. or east of 176th St. can be really nice, especially the small acreages.

But these places are probably too far out of town.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
IF I want to buy a house, how much money do I need to have initially? In Colombia the banks borrows only 70% I need to have 30% before buying, how does it work there?

I know that buying houses for immigrant its difficult, I have heard that it might take up to 7 years before you can buy a house, but in 7 years there is a lot money I can save with my wife before the banks can borrow me money.

Is there a way to know how much money do we need to earn to buy a house of X amount?

Thanks
Go to the google search engine. Type in Royal Bank of Canada Mortgage Rates- it's a page where lots of rates will come up. Click on the Royal Bank one and you will have a better idea of the answer you seek.

Northboy

Electoral Member
Northboy

Good information for our Colombian member - interesting about Kelowna coming into its own...

I think he should rent for a while until he and his wife get some ideas about where they want to put down their stakes.

Curio

You're probably right.

On the Kelowna thing, a group there has just got funding to create a technology cluster there.
Watch for a clustering of government/ institutional activities in the Okanagan. BDC has quite a contingency there already and there is a large First Nations administration centre growing in Kamloops. There will be a lot of call for
computing from these institutions. It l,ooks like that's where the data centres are going as we repatriate our databases. The economic prognosis for Kelowna is good.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
You're probably right.

On the Kelowna thing, a group there has just got funding to create a technology cluster there.
Watch for a clustering of government/ institutional activities in the Okanagan. BDC has quite a contingency there already and there is a large First Nations administration centre growing in Kamloops. There will be a lot of call for
computing from these institutions. It l,ooks like that's where the data centres are going as we repatriate our databases. The economic prognosis for Kelowna is good.
Kelowna has had rapid growth for the past 7 - 10 years. It's less expensive to live in Vernon (at least for now) and do the drive back and forth. Lots of people have been doing that for years. That would put a person closer to Kamloops as well. Something in Kamloops needs to grow. Not much happening there for years, though I have a nephew who runs a very successful business there. While everyone else is struggling, he has had his best year ever. I believe he does some type of robotics.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Kloneville (nicknamed because it's like a miniVancouver) has been sprouting like mad since about 1990. We left there basically because it's vastly nicer here and back then it was starting to be a chaotic zoo there. lol We avoid going there almost at any cost. Winfield is not bad, though. (Between Kloneville and Vernon. Coldstream, near Vernon, is also fairly nice).
hehehe All things considered, I'd sooner visit Vancouver than Kloneville. Vancouver people are predictable. Kloneville people have growing pains.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Wouldn't places there only be for residents/students of the University?

Hi Chev - check out the map at this link - you'll see the UBC endowment lands, Pt. Grey, and SW Marine Drive - all separate neighborhoods. Ooops SW Marine isn't on the map - but it runs adjacent to a golf course and up to the entrance to UBC
along the bottom left hand side of the map.

Vancouver Park Board - Community Centres

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I grew up in New Westminster, what a wonderful little city it was, and I have great
memories from there, but what I am told now is not good, as it seems the city
has gone downhill.
We lived in Surrey for 14 years, loved it, but now you have to pick your areas, and
the more south you go in Surrey, the nicer it is, but it also becomes more expensive.
I love Vancouver, if I had the money I would have a condo there, so I could stay
now and then, and walk, walk, walk. I great city for walking, english bay, stanley
park, robson street, granville st., lots of shopping, lots of international flavour,
deli's, bakeries, lots of different ethnic types, it's very interesting.
The little ferry to north vancouver, walk on, just a few minutes, then more
walking.
West Vancouver, Park Royal has the nicest 'organic grocery' store I have ever
been in, and a little restaurant on site as well, then the park royal mall close
by.

lseguin

May 26, 2009
Hello;
am moving to Vancouver from Ottawa this August...
Would like to know what places (areas) to look for rentals and which to stay away from.
We are a young family with an 18 month old.
I have read all of the above comments; but was hoping for something a little more directed to me...
Work is located Downtown, but wouldn't mind a bit of a commute to live in a small town type atmosphere....
Willing to live in town though... safe / quiet area with lots of parks and trees etc.
Price Range is about $1000/month....
thanks in advance

lseguin

May 26, 2009
ahhhh! thanks again that is really useful info! That is not at all where we want to be!
So is Coquitlam really built up or does it have some charm to it? :) Is it considered part of Vancouver?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yes. It is fully urban and has two or three train llinks to downtown and the best freshwater beaches in the city.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I found the nicest part of Vancouver is a little suburb about 528 km. due east and situated on Hwy. 3

lseguin

May 26, 2009
hey there agian!
So am in the middle of apt hunting and am viewing an ad online at Austin and Linton in Coquitlam.... is this considered "mudville" ?
where abouts are the unofficial "boundaries" so I know where not to look... it's hard (using google map)to know :)
thanks

jolomac

Aug 2, 2009
North Vancouver is by far the best, Close to the mountains for Mountain Biking and Skiing. The Sea Bus is so simple to get you around (over town) and a nice relaxing trip! I took it everyday with a cup of coffee a nice relaxing start. The rents are high but you definately can get a one bedroom for 1000 to 1,500 . Don't know about furnished.Anytime of year I think is ok for renting but Jobs is another question.In the winter there are jobs up the nountains at the ski hills if you sre lucky.

jolomac

Aug 2, 2009
Coquitlam is too far out, more a cheaper place to buy if one can stand the long trip if you work in town! I would not live there for anything.....