Where do you get your news from?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So where do you get all your news from? I used to watch CCTV9 but it's really boring, and all the other channels are in Chinese. My Chinese is OK, but not that good. I tend to like to get my news from the horse's mouth, as well as from sources which tend to present news which might be more applicable to either my personal or professional life. Here are some of mine, and please share yours. It would be interesting to see where we all get our news from.

http://www.yahoo.com
In various French and English versions for general news.

http://www.un.org/Pubs/chronicle/
For UN news.

http://www.onecountry.org/
For international Baha'i news.

http://www.espero.com.cn/
For Chinese news.

Yahoo groups for more grassroots and personal sources of news updates which might be of interest to me.

And, last but not least, you among others.

badboy

Nominee Member
Apr 13, 2005
too funny i spent 3 months in your city. and CCTV is all you get(well all i got in the hotel), thank god for the KFC and McDonalds downtown or i would have starved to death.

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
RE: Where do you get your

I like watching CBC News World. I find their reporting tends to be more relevant to me, being Canadian and all, than say CNN or Faux News.

I also use a newsreader and subcribe to several news feeds. I strive to read news articles from several sources, especially for big news stories.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
badboy said:
too funny i spent 3 months in your city. and CCTV is all you get(well all i got in the hotel), thank god for the KFC and McDonalds downtown or i would have starved to death.

:p Small world, innit?

By the way, what were you doin' here for three months?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Add to that that much of the news in English is sensored (though not nearly as bad as it's portrayed in the west; only some political stuff is sensored, and even most, though not all, religious stuff is accessible), so that's where the Yahoo Groups and other language websites come in handy. Practically every Chinese learns English as a second langauge, so most don't know any otehr language. needless to say, they can't sensor what they can't read! :p

Rev2

May 26, 2005
Machjo said:
badboy said:

By the way, what were you doin' here for three months?

Hey, I was starting up a assembly plant named JAC , joint venture Korean _Chinese . It’s a minivan plant, paint line and assembly.
Nice city you have there but it really needs a cleanup, but that’s mainland China. I'll be leaving this Sunday for another 1 month tour (Gm Plant). Anyways nice to talk to you.

inciting material removed and posted in moderator forum.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

I usually go to Google News. That way I can read several articles about the same thing from different sources. It's amazing how 1 country will write something about an issue or item and another country will write something different about that same issue or item........

I really like comparing what Faux or CNN writes to Al Jezeera. Now that's entertainment!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

I just ask the neighbour.

My daughters friends father use to have some of the most interesting add ons to current affairs.....But he was from the ME. His perspective was refreshing.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
galianomama said:
hey machjo - have you been listening to cbc 'sounds like canada' they have been running a special this week all about china...it is excellent.

Thanks for the info. I normally don't watch CBC though (which I normally do get access to unless something 'sensitive' comes up, but I just tend to prefer to read rather than watch my news. Habbit I suppose. Even in Canada I didn't watch TV that much.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
peapod said:
Your not posting anymore because you are banned from this site, return again, and the same thing will happen.

Wow, now I'm curious. What could he have said that was so bad? Would it be possible to paraphrase it? Thanks :eek:

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC

CBC Radio One. I've got too much else to do to be glued to the boob tube all the time. I can listen to the radio while eating, making lunch, doing homework, and just about anything. Only place I can't listen is in the shower.

LaoWai

May 31, 2005
Hefei PRC
Machjo said:
So where do you get all your news from? I used to watch CCTV9 but it's really boring, and all the other channels are in Chinese. My Chinese is OK, but not that good.

CCTV9 in Hefei is not on basic cable service. So I don't watch it.

Since I have been in China I have stayed away from most Canadian News Providers. I frankly don't care what happens in Canada anymore. When I left, the Liberals were the government...they still are,...political correctness ruled all public discourse...it still does,...the media was more concerned with petty celebrities and hockey than real issues,...they still are.

I get most of my news now from American and British news sources, as well as special interest websites.

LaoWai

May 31, 2005
Hefei PRC
Machjo said:
badboy said:

Not really. You're in Hefei. So am I. We've never met. :?

LaoWai

May 31, 2005
Hefei PRC
Re: RE: Where do you get your

Twila said:
I frankly don't care what happens in Canada anymore

then why are you here at Canadian Content?

Just to read the comments posted here by average Canadians, and remind myself what kind of limited thinking exists in the Great White North. An informed individual doesn't have to care about the subject he reads about.

Living outside of Canada grants an expatriate a perspective of the nation and its people which those who never leave the country will never acquire. I see how ignorant, myopic, and delusional Canadians are about themselves, Canada, and the country's role on the world stage everytime I read something here.

I am glad I am not there anymore. Canadians who remain in Canada buy into the lies and propaganda of the government and media (regardless of political leaning) without any difficulty... "Canada is the best nation in the world according to the United Nations 100 years in a Row"... You've heard the lies. You still believe them. I don't anymore. There are better places in the world.

Now you all can do the Canadian thing...attack an unpopular opinion...it's in your brainwashed nature.