When politicians ban carding, what replaces it?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have never had a problem with the police and used to have respect for them
Our governments have allowed them to become more of a paramilitary unit
than community police. I have little faith in them at all from things I have seen
across the country and right here at home. In fact I almost think I would trust
a Hell's Angels Member before a cop. The police need to be brought under some
control at least. At letting the cops profile people and that is what they are doing
The reason police have a problem is they think they are above the law themselves.
Even when being questioned I would ask am I under arrest if the answer is no then
tell them nothing. I am disgusted with the police and their behavior of the last ten
years actually

That mainly comes from not being overly bright. If they are just following procedure they are alright, but when they have to think for themselves, they are f**ked!

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
That mainly comes from not being overly bright. If they are just following procedure they are alright, but when they have to think for themselves, they are f**ked!

You're partly right, if they follow procedures, and have to think for themselves, you're the one that's f**ked.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
even thou carding may seem like a good idea to some,and was suppose to come with a little more class then it presents itself,it was a bad management direction to think it was an o.k action and there would not be consequences of all sorts.
I imagine being the carder of carding would come with shame,regrets and all kinds of shi tty feelings.
I imagine a "carding" incident can be the result of an angry decsion maker,
I imagine fear comes into play of carding incidents,
it is all so frightening when objectivity is placed into assessment of the act of carding.

there is a better design which is incorporated into good decison making by individual Officers,not actions of prejudice and profiling, this being,
a simple design of good assessment skills will provoke great actions,such as pride,good decison making and most of all, confidence of the public with the decison makers.
lower rank Officers always look like the fools for poor management decsions,which always seem to have too many political influences,so I know what I say holds little substance.
then again history would state the design is not always in the best interest of who we think should be served in good management decsions.
old designers.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I didn't consider it as a challenge, but I think I get your point. I think, since you used the boy scouts as another example, which means the term "paramilitary" can be a bit subjective.
Agreed. It's also been a subject of debate for many. One that I highly doubt we'll put an end to.

The other point I was trying to make; growing up, the police were respected and not feared. I had many relatives in law enforcement.
My father was RCMP. I know where you're coming from.

I mentioned the "militarization" of police because it is a major concern of many folks, especially in the US, but here as well. It does widen the gap between "us and them".
It most certainly does, but it goes hand in hand with a well armed, distrusting citizenry. An almost which came first, the chicken of the egg, type question.

The point of the thread is "carding", something that wasn't necessary when I was growing up because people were willing, even eager to help police do their job. Now even a well heeled citizen would likely not even give the steam off his or her pi$$ to help, unless it was to help themselves in some way.
Won't argue with that.

Even still, they were one of the most respected police forces in the world. What the f##k happened? Well, we pretty much know the what, the why is a little more elusive.
Again, very true.

even thou carding may seem like a good idea to some,and was suppose to come with a little more class then it presents itself,it was a bad management direction to think it was an o.k action and there would not be consequences of all sorts.
I imagine being the carder of carding would come with shame,regrets and all kinds of shi tty feelings.
I imagine a "carding" incident can be the result of an angry decsion maker,
I imagine fear comes into play of carding incidents,
it is all so frightening when objectivity is placed into assessment of the act of carding.
So your argument against carding is "Feels".

That's nice. The safety and security of the populace shouldn't have to worry about peoples "feels".

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I don't know if it was called "carding' 45 or 50 years ago, but every cop carried a personal notebook.
This one cop would sometimes give me a ride home after 4 to 12 shift if he saw me walking....if I wasn't too tired he would sometimes take me for a drive-around...
Many a time, if he would drive by some young punks hanging out somewhere he would stop around the corner and write it down in his notebook for reference if a break-in occurred.
Years later, after I got married...all this came in handy......My wife's bike went missing, so I went to see this officer....
He looked in his notebook, took out a piece of paper and wrote down a couple of addresses....I knew the drill...he wasn't 'telling' me that there were you thieves at those addresses........but....... I did find my wife's bike at one of them....:lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't know if it was called "carding' 45 or 50 years ago, but every cop carried a personal notebook.
This one cop would sometimes give me a ride home after 4 to 12 shift if he saw me walking....if I wasn't too tired he would sometimes take me for a drive-around...
Many a time, if he would drive by some young punks hanging out somewhere he would stop around the corner and write it down in his notebook for reference if a break-in occurred.
Years later, after I got married...all this came in handy......My wife's bike went missing, so I went to see this officer....
He looked in his notebook, took out a piece of paper and wrote down a couple of addresses....I knew the drill...he wasn't 'telling' me that there were you thieves at those addresses........but....... I did find my wife's bike at one of them....:lol:
Profiling, or in other words, good police work.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Don't keep us in suspense......................................then what happened? :)