What's your opinion?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Let's logic out this plan.

If my power is our for more than 12 hours, I get a free month of power. That sounds good on the surface for the consumer.

But. If a catastrophic issue occurs, and the company knows it will have to be out more than 12 hours, then they know they are not getting paid for the month by the people in that area. So, when deciding how to fix it, as the company, knowing you already have lost out on a month's revenue, do you throw multiple crews and overtime at it to get it fixed? Or do you take your sweet time, make sure you're not paying overtime, and simply ensure the power is back on by next billing period?

Do you ever quit thinking? It's Sunday! -:)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Since when should we demand absolute perfection in life? Sometimes the power goes out.

Some people think everything should be handed to them. A month free power every time there is an extended power outage. What about free water every time there is a water main break? I had to get up and answer the door last night while watching a movie. Maybe I can get free cable this month

Nope! Didn't try to avoid it either by not burying the lines! -:)

They can't afford to bury them. There's too many whiners wanting freebies.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Some people think everything should be handed to them. A month free power every time there is an extended power outage. What about free water every time there is a water main break? I had to get up and answer the door last night while watching a movie. Maybe I can get free cable this month

They can't afford to bury them. There's too many whiners wanting freebies.

You pay for cable? What they offer in BC isn't worth paying for.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
If you noticed on all the news shots in Toronto there are (were) thousands of trees growing around the power lines. The question is did hydro refuse to do proper line maintenance by cutting these trees down or did someone else refuse to let them cut the trees?

Burring all the lines underground is hugely expensive. WHo is going to pay? And where does the money come from?

The Harper CONS keep yapping about non existent job creation so maybe they can fund a 'cable burying fund' and create real jobs with the stipulation that only Canadians can do the work and all material be Made In Canada and not just in the GTA but wherever possible .............

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The Harper CONS keep yapping about non existent job creation so maybe they can fund a 'cable burying fund' and create real jobs with the stipulation that only Canadians can do the work and all material be Made In Canada and not just in the GTA but wherever possible .............

No doubt it's one of these projects that would possibly pay dividends over a period of time and borrowing money is cheap right now, but it's obvious the entire country isn't going to be upgraded over night. Another consideration is the number of trees it would save..........that would keep the environmentalists happy for 5 minutes. Some would argue that power poles and overhead wires are unsightly.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
No doubt it's one of these projects that would possibly pay dividends over a period of time and borrowing money is cheap right now, but it's obvious the entire country isn't going to be upgraded over night. Another consideration is the number of trees it would save..........that would keep the environmentalists happy for 5 minutes. Some would argue that power poles and overhead wires are unsightly.

It would be a longer term vs short term project but isn't really too difficult to do. I don't think 'subdivisions' have had wiring above ground for at least 40 years.

As for the cost, well it will be interesting to see the final tab on the electrical hookup alone is and they haven't even really started on the tree cleanup yet........

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

We are trying for real jobs, not make work projects the Liberals were famous for.

The cheaper solution is to get rid of the trees.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

It's already a nightmare in some places with buried utilities running willy-nilly. I wonder if people are aware how much extra it is going to cost to maintain underground utilities. Everytime there is a water main break, crews have to dodge gas, fiber optic, telephone and sewer lines now as well as buried electrical.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
That's not going to happen. The Provincial Libs gotta pay for subsidizing all those new fangled windmills, cancelled gas plants and figuring out a way to make Kathy not be the break up girlfriend we got stuck with because Dalton knew when the jig was up and abandoned ship.

As my parents and I drove to the house of family friends (they live in Erieau), I was amazed at how many of those butt-ugly windmills they have scattered all across the countryside! I think they are placing so many of them down in such a short time as they figure that people do NOT want them and that when the next election comes, they won't be getting in. Such a waste!

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
All the lines in my neighbourhood are underground. As new sub divisions are built, everything is buried - the developers pay and, obviously, its included in the purchase price of the homes. We've lived here over 20 years and the power has never been out more than 15 mins. oh, maybe twice since we've been here. The older parts of the city still have overhead lines but as the areas are renewed and/or get updated, I believe the lines are going underground there too. It certainly gives things a nicer, "neater" appearance and we don't have to worry about cutting down trees!!

JMO

It's already a nightmare in some places with buried utilities running willy-nilly. I wonder if people are aware how much extra it is going to cost to maintain underground utilities. Everytime there is a water main break, crews have to dodge gas, fiber optic, telephone and sewer lines now as well as buried electrical.

I doubt if its "willy-nilly" - everything is carefully mapped out. We've had water breaks in the winter and the power wasn't affected at all - not if its done properly and it seems to have been here.

JMO

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I doubt if its "willy-nilly" - everything is carefully mapped out.

Lol...you must live on a different planet than I do. I work in utilities. I've lost count of how many times we've found utilities while digging that weren't supposed to be there. Underground utilities are a mess

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
All the lines in my neighbourhood are underground. As new sub divisions are built, everything is buried - the developers pay and, obviously, its included in the purchase price of the homes. We've lived here over 20 years and the power has never been out more than 15 mins. oh, maybe twice since we've been here. The older parts of the city still have overhead lines but as the areas are renewed and/or get updated, I believe the lines are going underground there too. It certainly gives things a nicer, "neater" appearance and we don't have to worry about cutting down trees!!

JMO

I doubt if its "willy-nilly" - everything is carefully mapped out. We've had water breaks in the winter and the power wasn't affected at all - not if its done properly and it seems to have been here.

JMO

Right on, Dixie Cup. Sometimes you have to be able to recognize people who don’t know what they are talking about and ignore them.-
Happy New Year.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Lol...you must live on a different planet than I do. I work in utilities. I've lost count of how many times we've found utilities while digging that weren't supposed to be there. Underground utilities are a mess
so how should this be handled?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
so how should this be handled?

It nothing lots of money won't help with. The Alberta government spent money developing a computer program called Municipal Infrastructure Management System which would help map, catalog and evaluate infrastructure. Not enough municipalities were willing to buy into the program so it got shelved. It's badly needed. The municipality I work for has been pretty aggressive in the last 10-15 years trying to locate and determine what is in the ground. We still have blocks of water main that we aren't sure what type of pipe it is or where in the roadway it is.

Also, different organizations own different utilities and we have to rely on their record keeping. We've hit gas lines 30 feet from where they are supposed to be.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It nothing lots of money won't help with. The Alberta government spent money developing a computer program called Municipal Infrastructure Management System which would help map, catalog and evaluate infrastructure. Not enough municipalities were willing to buy into the program so it got shelved. It's badly needed. The municipality I work for has been pretty aggressive in the last 10-15 years trying to locate and determine what is in the ground. We still have blocks of water main that we aren't sure what type of pipe it is or where in the roadway it is.

Also, different organizations own different utilities and we have to rely on their record keeping. We've hit gas lines 30 feet from where they are supposed to be.
quite the mess, I've heard of such problems and Call Before You Dig still means zero to some people until they hit some disaster in their backyard that causes huge problems.