What's the funniest/strangest experience you've ever had in a restaurant?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We Canadians are dining out more than ever before, and we certainly have a wide variety of restaurants across this great land.

Have you ever had a strange/unusual/funny experience in a restaurant? Could involve the food, the service, other guests, anything. Care to share?
The younger brother of a friend got drunk one time and passed out with his face in his pizza. I never saw a pizza with red hair before. :D

Hubby and I were in a cafe when 3 or 4 teens went and sat at the next table behind me. Everything was cool till this one guy started telling his friends about all the girls he'd boinked. Hubby was staring at him sort of tongue-in-cheek like and the bigmouth noticed and said, "Oh, is someone listening? Well, **** him". Without a pause in the conversation, Les said,"No thanks. You're not my type". The other kids just howled and I turned to see this kid. Curly dark haired, good looking kid with a bright red face. :D

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol @ Anna's story....

A girlfriend and I were once sitting around discussing 'marriage' when she started into a fairly loud (not thinking), description of the newest thing in 'marriage' that was all the rage in the 'marriage' magazines at the time. I happened to glance behind her to see the couple both sitting, still as statues, forks hovering in mid-air, having stopped on the way to their still-open mouths. They were intently listening to this fairly graphic conversation, possibly in disgust, possibly in interest... lol. I put my hand out to stop my girlfriend and gently said 'I think people can hear you.', at which point the couple started scooping their food ridiculously fast in an attempt to cover having been caught listening. lol. Not that I blame them.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hey... do strip bars count as restaurants? Because I had a couple funny evenings in strip bars. :lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol @ Anna's story....

A girlfriend and I were once sitting around discussing 'marriage' when she started into a fairly loud (not thinking), description of the newest thing in 'marriage' that was all the rage in the 'marriage' magazines at the time. I happened to glance behind her to see the couple both sitting, still as statues, forks hovering in mid-air, having stopped on the way to their still-open mouths. They were intently listening to this fairly graphic conversation, possibly in disgust, possibly in interest... lol. I put my hand out to stop my girlfriend and gently said 'I think people can hear you.', at which point the couple started scooping their food ridiculously fast in an attempt to cover having been caught listening. lol. Not that I blame them.
lol Haven't we all been caught at some time or other being unnecessarily loud? Mostly when it happens to me, what I am thinking somehow squeezes out past my lips. lol

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This story isn't mine, but that of a Buddy of mine. The guy spent several
years in the Navy (on the HMCS Saskatchewan, which is now an artificial
reef off the coast of Vancouver) tooling all over the Pacific Ocean and had
been in every dive bar in every port that he ever had shore leave in.

Years later as a successful business man who hadn't taken a vacation in
years....he decided to go to China, as it was somewhere that the Canadian
Navy didn't have as a Port of Call in the '70's. He flew over with no itinerary,
with the idea of backpacking around the parts of the country that he was
able to.

Well....he met the woman that is now his wife. The first time he met her
family, he took them all out to a fairly ritzy restaurant, in an effort to make a
good impression. Part way through the meal, nature called.

Once in the washroom, he discovered that there where no toilets, but several
slots (about 5-6 inches wide) in the floor with grooves on each side of the
slots that you placed your feet in when you squatted over the slots...and running
water under the floor of the bathroom (like a creek).

There where other men using the facility, so he followed their example. Once
winding up that chore, and now being the only one in the room, to his horror
he discovered that there was no toilet paper in the room. Later he discovered
that this was common, and that you where suppose to bring you own with you
from home.

When he made it back to the table (red faced & missing one sock, use your
imagination), there was a good laugh had at his expense by what become
his future In-Laws.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sure! Some of them serve food, don't they? (Let's hear the stories!)

Probably the funniest was heading to a strip club in Grande Prairie with friends, and seeing, sitting in the front row, my best friend's little brother (he would have just recently turned 18 at the time). I kind of chuckled about spotting him, and as he went to get a drink, he noticed me and came over to say hello. I pulled my best shocked face, and asked "What one earth are you doing in a place like this!?" He blushed and hung his head in shame a little, before the realization hit him and he snapped back up... "Hey, what are YOU doing in a place like this!?" lol.

The other funny nights are harder to tell well in a story, because they typically just involve shocked looks, like hubby when his wife gets a hug from the stripper after the show, or the guys in the clubs when eight women walk through the door and plunk themselves down in 'perv row'. lol.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
This story isn't mine, but that of a Buddy of mine. The guy spent several
years in the Navy (on the HMCS Saskatchewan, which is now an artificial
reef off the coast of Vancouver) tooling all over the Pacific Ocean and had
been in every dive bar in every port that he ever had shore leave in.

Years later as a successful business man who hadn't taken a vacation in
years....he decided to go to China, as it was somewhere that the Canadian
Navy didn't have as a Port of Call in the '70's. He flew over with no itinerary,
with the idea of backpacking around the parts of the country that he was
able to.

Well....he met the woman that is now his wife. The first time he met her
family, he took them all out to a fairly ritzy restaurant, in an effort to make a
good impression. Part way through the meal, nature called.

Once in the washroom, he discovered that there where no toilets, but several
slots (about 5-6 inches wide) in the floor with grooves on each side of the
slots that you placed your feet in when you squatted over the slots...and running
water under the floor of the bathroom (like a creek).

There where other men using the facility, so he followed their example. Once
winding up that chore, and now being the only one in the room, to his horror
he discovered that there was no toilet paper in the room. Later he discovered
that this was common, and that you where suppose to bring you own with you
from home.

When he made it back to the table (red faced & missing one sock, use your
imagination), there was a good laugh had at his expense by what become
his future In-Laws.

Brings a whole new meaning to that well-known Amex line: DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT! :lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Probably the funniest was heading to a strip club in Grande Prairie with friends, and seeing, sitting in the front row, my best friend's little brother (he would have just recently turned 18 at the time). I kind of chuckled about spotting him, and as he went to get a drink, he noticed me and came over to say hello. I pulled my best shocked face, and asked "What one earth are you doing in a place like this!?" He blushed and hung his head in shame a little, before the realization hit him and he snapped back up... "Hey, what are YOU doing in a place like this!?" lol.

The other funny nights are harder to tell well in a story, because they typically just involve shocked looks, like hubby when his wife gets a hug from the stripper after the show, or the guys in the clubs when eight women walk through the door and plunk themselves down in 'perv row'. lol.
lol We were in one once, and a friend was a beerslinger there. I had a gf that used to dance and she was on stage when this beerslinger friend went by the stage and she rubbed his bald head with a boob. He looked around and then started slapping the stage as if there were bugs on it. lmao Even Fay (gf) thought it was hilarious.