Whats happening to Canada

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
JonB2004, one must consider each circumstance in particular, in my opinion. By way of example, I approve of the crossing of the Honourable Belinda Stronach, M.P., P.C.; however, I disapprove of the crossing of the Honourable David Emerson, M.P., P.C.. I have reasoning behind this opinion of mine.

In terms of the Member for Newmarket—Aurora, she had crossed in order to prevent the defeat of the previous Government of Canada — in her constiuency, 51.0 % of voters had supported a party that wished for the current Government to continue, as opposed to the 42.4 % who had voted for parties favouring the defeat of the Government. This was an appropriate decision to take, in order to represent the views of a majority of her constituents rather than those of her party — a move few members would have been brave enough to take.

However, in the case of the Member for Vancouver Kingsway, he crossed to a party that had the support of only 18.8 % of his constituents. This was not an appropriate decision to take; he was offered a position by the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, M.P., P.C., and left the Opposition to join the Conservative Ministry.

It is no wonder the New Democratic Party of Canada cried foul.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: Whats happening to Ca

It,s been a longer sleep than thirteen years ITN, there is a general move to the left in much of the world and I expect that Canada will in the next few years move with the rest of the world away from the market driven corporate paradigm.
Your country may be the last to follow that road nevertheless you will bend or you,ll break. The enevitability of that is open to debate only with respect to the timming.The right in America will drive the left to power as always happens, the more greedy corrupt and entrenched the right becomes the harder it will be to keep the left in check.The illusion of America is at risk, when the rhetoric no longer reflects the reality great scocial movement will occur.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
DarkBeaver

Are you actually saying for our consumption, the political philosophy in the U.S.A. directs the politics of Canada and where the country is going?

I know blame is laid on the U.S. for much of what happens in Canada, but now you are saying Canada itself is "led" by the U.S.?

I doubt anyone will take that as fact.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Wednesday's Child

I think what darkbeaver is saying is that political currents are cyclic in nature and that as people get tired of one philosophy, they move towards the opposite. I think that theory is well demonstrated by events. The ideal is somewhere in the middle but we never seem to reach it.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
LOL Juan

I think you just supplied DarkBeaver credibility with his statement when there was none to begin with.

Thank you for clarifying the matter! :lol:

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005
RE: Whats happening to Ca

Canada and the US are in the same boat together. When we paddle in opposite directions we go in circles. When we start to paddle in the same direction we start to move forward. We need to decide on a destination.

I have no problems with politicians crossing the floor, but they should hold a bi-election in the members riding. If the public still supports the honourable member, they should get to stay. If not, they lose their seat. Its a democracy, it should be up to us whether the move is acceptable, not the ethics commisioner.

And to those of you that think we can just replace these people through elections, your wrong. Elections can be manipulated if you appear to have intentions to fight the powers, so to speak. You can't even get nominated to run for a seat in the current parties if you stray to far from party philosophy. Unless you guys are willing to stage nothing short of a coup, nothing is going to change.

From personal observations about how most people think and interact within my community, most people shouldn't even be allowed to vote. Most people I meet are irrational emotionally dictated people that have no real opinions that they've concluded for themselves. They just spout our rhetoric that they don't even understand for themselves, but still support it blindly. People are nothing more than sheep being hurded by propaganda, and the winner is the person who did this the best, not the man or women who is best suited for the position. Democracy is a joke, and will never function until people start thinking like rational human beings and represent their own self realized opinions that they can support from the information that led them to their opinion.

The only thing people need to really know is that, In a leftist free society, everyone is allowed to live how they want, and in a Right wing society, which tends to be more restrictive and religious, only those who fit the picture get to live their lives unrestricted, but only because their ideology doesn't conflict. What the hell kind of philosophy is, " As long as I can live the way I want, I don't care about what others want." This is persecution for having a difference of opinion, and anyone who supports this kind of " I'm right and you're wrong" thinking is the problem with every society, and should be removed by any means neccessary.

Just look at these fundamentalists that are against gay rights. Their basis is a 2000 year old book that says it's wrong, but it also says that its okay to whore out your daughter under certain circumstances. And they still have the nerve to preach morality like they're some kind of rightcheous hand of God. Me, I don't support homosexuality, and I don't really see the need for them to get married. I think it's more of a vindication movement than anything to throw in the face of religious people. However, I don't feel I have the right to impose my thinking on them just because I disagree with their lifestyle choice, and their choices just don't effect my life in any real way. I do however think that the government should recognize their relationship status on par with a marriage, but not as a marriage. The marriage issue should be left up to the churches to decide whether or not they wish to perform such ceremonies. Is being right so important to these people that they're willing to limit another's rights just to feel that they've made the proper life choices. I think this is a pretty good example of how insecure people are about their religious values. It doesn't matter whether you discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, or lifestyle choices, it only devides society, causes conflict, and prevents us from coming together to become something greater. If you do this, you're the reason why we don't have peace and freedom.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I agree with both Paradox and the beaver. The magority of Canadian's are Social Democrats or Liberals. Past elections have proven this. With the Combined vote of the Social Democrats (NDP), the Liberals who go from centre left to centre right and the Bloq which has Social Democratic leanings, most Canadians, the vast magority support traditional centre left leaning polcies. However the democratic deficite could be fixed in Canada with simple electoral reforms to the house of commons and the senate. With a mmp system in place of the FPTP in the commons and a FPTP in place of nothing, in the Senate, this would help greatly. It would also allow natural coalitions to form since the system would not be totally winner take all, and would represent the puplics wishes for governance.

It is unbelieveable that the Conservative party which is out of step with the nation is allowed to govern with such a small percentage of the vote.

However if we do not have electoral reform as the conservatives have been promising for years now, I think the NDP and the Liberals should form an alliance of some sort

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Wednesday's Child said:
DarkBeaver

Are you actually saying for our consumption, the political philosophy in the U.S.A. directs the politics of Canada and where the country is going?

I know blame is laid on the U.S. for much of what happens in Canada, but now you are saying Canada itself is "led" by the U.S.?

I doubt anyone will take that as fact.

Wedensday, the politics of Canada in common with much of the world has been controlled and directed by transnational corporate prioritys and not by citizens, in that respect we are very much under the influance and control of the United States who have favoured this
form of governance above that of democracy, much of the world has grown tired of that corporate ideology and would put people before corporations. The influance of this corporate power has undermined and overruled the democratic will of the people and caused great damage to the public good, we have this year onehundred new billionaires and a corresponding grossly bigger number of new poor, you can see the end of this process, very few ultra wealthy people and vast numberless poor, the experiment with free market economies is over the results are clear, all that is left is the battle to overcome this enormous evil before it consumes the planet.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Beautiful Post!

An amazing post, Alberta'sfinest. Quite well-written.

I agree with your stance on same-sex marriage (or at least I think I do). I think that, in my opinion, the Government of Canada should pass something akin to a Marriage Revolution Act, where the Parliament Assembled would remove any legislation pertaining to marriage whatsoever, and instead recognize civil unions only. If someone wants to get married, they can go to a Church, or their religious institution of choice, and go right ahead. However, such marriages would not be recognized by the Crown.