What's Everyone Reading?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The water problems will only increase as the population of Phoenix and Tucson continue to grow. . The water demands of Phoenix alone are enormous.
That is because they are trying to make it look as green as Kansas. Perhaps watering just the greens at the country club and have the suburbs use a desert theme in their landscaping would make better use of the available resources.
The odds are the whole area might be getting more moisture in the winter so that should help as it would then attract a lot more people as the surrounding area does begin to look like Kansas.

Pipelines also solve little problems like that.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
That is because they are trying to make it look as green as Kansas. Perhaps watering just the greens at the country club and have the suburbs use a desert theme in their landscaping would make better use of the available resources.
The odds are the whole area might be getting more moisture in the winter so that should help as it would then attract a lot more people as the surrounding area does begin to look like Kansas.

They already have them. The problem is, more and more buildings are tapping into that supply as the area grows. It's a case of too many straws. In all seriousness, I don't see places like Phoenix or Tuscon still existing as inhabited cities in the next 75-100 years. Unless the areas their water is sourced from start getting wetter.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
In all seriousness, I don't see places like Phoenix or Tuscon still existing as inhabited cities in the next 75-100 years. Unless the areas their water is sourced from start getting wetter.

Try a book called "The Water Knife" by Paolo Bacigalupi, a future-gone-wrong novel where water shortages in Arizona and Nevada have escalated into open conflict. Reads part sci-fi, part mystery novel, it's pretty good.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
The thing with the southwest is that they are using more water than can be replaced naturally. Surface water sources are enhanced by tapping into underground aquifers that aren't able to replenish themselves as fast as the water is being withdrawn. There is already talk in about major diversions from sources like the Columbia River. Adding to the simple shortage of water the fact that as water is diverted for agriculture it picks up mineral salts from the ground as it migrates back into the rivers. This results in downstream water becoming toxic to the point where it cannot be used for agricultural use any longer.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Son pays late fees for library books checked out by his parents in 1970s
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 11:20 AM EST | Updated: Friday, December 30, 2016 12:03 PM EST
ROCKVILLE, Md. — A library lover who found two books more than four decades overdue at a vacation cabin in Canada is making a donation to cover the late fees — at the 1970s-era rate of a nickel a day.
The Minnesota man and his family gave the Maryland library a check for about $1,550 to cover the fees.
Jon Kramer, of Minneapolis, says he was searching through his deceased parents’ library last month at their cabin on an island in Ontario when he found a camping book and a cookbook that had been checked out from a Montgomery County library in the 1970s.
Kramer remembered family library trips fondly and sent a $1,552.30 donation.
Kramer says he’s keeping the books but is willing to continue paying late fees in the future.
Son pays late fees for library books checked out by his parents in 1970s | World

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars

Kansas is not green Megaloon. When you get near the Missouri line, then you see a green landscape.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Scotland is in Britain. And England and Wales, too.

Add Northern Ireland to the mix and you get the UK.
Our family is probably scotch / irish.. we'd probably have to whoop you limey's a$$es. :).

I would like to ride a bicycle down some of the country roads over there. Carry a canteen of water and some snacks. That would be fun.

I have a book I read several years ago titled " The History of God ". Written by Karen Armstrong. I may read that again before I check out.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Our family is probably scotch / irish.. we'd probably have to whoop you limey's a$$es. :).

I would like to ride a bicycle down some of the country roads over there. Carry a canteen of water and some snacks. That would be fun.

I have a book I read several years ago titled " The History of God ". Written by Karen Armstrong. I may read that again before I check out.

The Scotch and Northern Irish are Limeys, too.

What you want to do is go for a lovely walk over hill and through dale for several hours, maybe visit some Roman or medieval ruins along the way, then stop off at a 12th century pub in a quaint village for a Ploughman's Lunch and pint of the local ale.

I feel sorry for North Americans that they can't do that on a regular basis.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Kansas is not green Megaloon. When you get near the Missouri line, then you see a green landscape.

Yeah... that is Kansas

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I drove through Southern Kansas about 18 months ago. Didn't look anything like that eaglepuke.

Well that is the Flint Hills in Kansas... and you are a dumb azz.

Ooooops... another photo of green Kansas!

Sorry LittleHo... you're wrong again!