What would you want on your grave stone?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
My wife wants a traditional burial. That being hoisted up in a tree and left for nature to take it's course. Likewise I think there will be various government agencies that will feel obligated to put their long snouts where they are not wanted or needed.
I OTH have written in my will that science can have any parts they want to explore and the rest cremated and the ashes spread over Johnstone Straight. That one I'm pretty sure we can pull off.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I would rather my friends just drag my carcass out into the wilderness to feed the wild critters but some stupid law would probably get them put in jail for fulfilling my request.

Unfortunately, you are correct Cliffy - totally against the law. I hadn't thought about that method until I watched a doc about Tibetan sky burials which I think is a most efficient and natural way of treating the dead.

I'll just have to stick to my original plan of cremation followed by my ashes being placed in a small replica of a viking ship, set on fire then set out to sail on Canim Lake. :smile:

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
No headstone. Cremated and scattered. If my family wants to have a memorial service, so be it. Beyond my control.

Contacted an el cheapo funeral place and they will do the deed for under 2K. Less financial strain on the kinfolk, and the goulish, bloodsucking undertakers get sweet FA.............well the el cheapos do, but cain't control everything.
We already paid for our cremations, the nice part of doing it in advance is they can't raise the price when the time comes. The deal includes pick up and delivery of the body to the funeral parlor. We also got to choose who would be allowed to view the body.

WindWalker

Electoral Member
May 22, 2008
French Creek, BC
Actually, my wife and I aren't doing the headstone thing either. We choose the Crispy Critters route. No memorials, no nothing. We're here and then we're gone. If anyone wants to see us they'll have to do so while we're alive.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Actually, my wife and I aren't doing the headstone thing either. We choose the Crispy Critters route. No memorials, no nothing. We're here and then we're gone. If anyone wants to see us they'll have to do so while we're alive.

"If with pleasure you are viewing
Any work a man is doing
If you like him or you love him
Tell him now.
Do not withhold your approbation
Till the parson makes oration
And he lies with snowy lilies o'er his brow
For no matter how you shout it
He won't really care about it
He won't know how many teardrops
You have shed
So do not wait till life is over
And he lies beneath the clover
For he can not read his tombstone
When he's dead!"

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Hey it is really ffn dark down here.

Anybody up there want to come in?

I think I should have purchased the extra padding for my back.

Don't be looking down at me OK.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Being a sick individual I won't have a headstone fire to the end. I will have a service
of sorts. The memorial or service is not for the deceased its for the others to say a
farewell and move on. If I did have a tombstone it would read "Oh and one more thing"
No I have decided being a former broadcaster, I will tape and do part of my own farewell.
I will also roast some of my friends in attendance I update the final goodbye thing every
now and then that way the ones who are not longer here won't have their family insulted.
But then I plan to out live most of the bu**ers anyway.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I won't be having anything on any tombstone, not my style.

No funeral, no viewing, quick cremation, just the family, and we will have said
everything important that need be said by then.

I'm not spending eternity in any graveyard, I and my family will be out in the
beautiful area looking over the lake, nature all round, a family buriel ground
for those who wish to be there, a place for visiting, picnics and happiness,
but only the family will know we are there.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I might just decide to be put on ice and come back in 100 years to raise some more sh*t! -:)

Timetrvlr

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2005
BC interior
Prepaid cremation for me, no fuss, no bother.

This is an epitaph in Tombstone, Arizona's historic cemetery:

Here Lies Lester Moore
Four slugs from a 44
No Les, no more

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA
"Cui libera tandem!"

Translation from Latin :

"Free at last!"

Unfortunately, you are correct Cliffy - totally against the law. I hadn't thought about that method until I watched a doc about Tibetan sky burials which I think is a most efficient and natural way of treating the dead.

I'll just have to stick to my original plan of cremation followed by my ashes being placed in a small replica of a viking ship, set on fire then set out to sail on Canim Lake. :smile:
Yep, good thought, but you cannot do that legally Cliffy.
Hubby and I opt for cremation. No saving of the ashes in stone-carved urns on the mantle either. How macabre.
We both go in the garden (our ashes) as fertilizer.
At least we will boost floral growth and beautify Mother Earth.
Probably are laws about that too so must be done surreptitiously. Hee! Hee!

Last edited: