What would you do if the US invaded?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Concept isn't popular ... but then folk shouldn't be judging the book by its cover either. Americans invade? They haven't been doing so in great numbers for a long time now - which means camps, resorts and tourist traps here have to get by on guests who don't tip - but do bitch about everything.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
oh wait! our border guards would frustrated them so much that they'd just toss their hands up in anger and turn around saying "IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT!!!"

That was actually funny Chilli. I'm proud of you.

A buddy of mine just came back from Montreal and he said the Canadian Guards were fine and the US Guards were pains in the butts.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
If it's the Bamster leading the way I'll take up arms; in Ontario we've already said, "No!" to Sharia.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Concept isn't popular ... but then folk shouldn't be judging the book by its cover either. Americans invade? They haven't been doing so in great numbers for a long time now - which means camps, resorts and tourist traps here have to get by on guests who don't tip - but do bitch about everything.

The book reminds me of a book that came out a few years back. The book was called "Guns of the South" and it was about some men showing up after the Battle of Gettysburg and giving the Confederacy THOUSANDS of AK-47's with all the ammo they could shoot.

Of course the Rebs go on to win the Civil War. Silly book but it was a big hit down south. He knew his audience.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I liked Canadian Bacon better.

"Welcome to Canada"

*smack..... smack*

"...... That was totally unnecessary."

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Who gets the national debt and will we still have french rammed down our throats?
No need for a passport and green card to winter in California of Florida. No more queen on our money. So far I'm not seeing much of a down side to this.

patty_lone

Aug 12, 2010
Quebec City
I'd swim to ireland.....on a giant floating rubber ducky....i just like the image....

but seriously....interesting idea....

it's sad because i don't think there is anything we could do about it......damn you USA!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I'd swim to ireland.....on a giant floating rubber ducky....i just like the image....

LOL

but seriously....interesting idea....

it's sad because i don't think there is anything we could do about it......damn you USA!

It will never happen.

I tell you what though...can you imagine the threads we would have here!

patty_lone

Aug 12, 2010
Quebec City
maybe it would become illegal......they would burn all canadian culture away....give us american flags and underwear!!!

soldiers would appear at our front door if we discussed the issue on the internet because big brother would be in full function.......kind of exciting in a movie kind of way......

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
We will invade them and force them all to watch Curling.

LOL And put Don Newman on FOX. Heh! And run the movie "Men With Brooms" on every channel - although was a fun movie and Paul Gross is luverly! :love1:

Curiosity said: It's a shining testament two large groups can cohabitate in trade, economics, friendship and support.
Yes indeed. I don't like this concept being raised either, it's divisive and can too easily become rancorous.

It reminds me of the very eerie and chilling days immediately following 9/11. Our house was on a hillside barely a mile from the border, we could see the border crossing quite clearly, had crossed it probably hundreds of times - always a smile and some chat and laughter with the US customs officers on the way across.

I hadn't slept, couldn't - those tv images wouldn't let me. And all that dreadful day and night the planes were coming into Abbotsford International, thundering over our house circling as they waited their turn to land. We could see them higher up circling waiting to land at Vancouver International too about thirty miles west. (How the air-traffic controllers coped and got through that day and night I don't know!) Both airports are close to the border, Abbotsford's is less then a quarter of a mile north of it.

So all along the border were fighter jets, both Canadian and American, and Blackhawk helicopters patrolling. I didn't have to look through the binoculars, I knew they were all fully armed with missiles and whatever it would take to take a commercial passenger plane down if it went across that border.

It was such an eerie awful sight, to see them armed and in full military readiness like that for days, so close and constantly in view right from our windows. So menacing I couldn't help but feel uneasy, how could one not during those dreadful days? They were doing what needed to be done and thank goodness the two countries could do it, but it was sight in our skies and a feeling I never want to have for any reason ever again. Heck! When I was born planes were dropping bombs on me, they missed obviously but no second tries for me, thank you!

They made the movie already, Rose-M, "Canadian Bacon, except Canada invades the US. And Monty Python has already done SPAM:

You mean spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam,
spam and spam?
:sign4:
Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam!
Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam.
Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!
Spam spam spam spam!

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The U.S. has proven themselves incapable of fighting one type of war... and that is a guerilla war. One of the American Military Manuals (i think it's the Marines) defines first and formost the objective of war is to destroy the enemy's will to fight.

Essentially that has been turned on America in every conflict since WW2. Simply wear down the public's will to fight without clear definitions of victory, and relentless loss of soldiers for some abstract sense of security.

If America decides to invade, it would first of all have to sell Canada as imminent threat to their security to the American people, which would be a hard sell. But in answer to the question, the only way win against the U.S. is by a war of constant antagonization, never directly confronting the might of U.S. military technology.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
The U.S. has proven themselves incapable of fighting one type of war... and that is a guerilla war. One of the American Military Manuals (i think it's the Marines) defines first and formost the objective of war is to destroy the enemy's will to fight.

Essentially that has been turned on America in every conflict since WW2. Simply wear down the public's will to fight without clear definitions of victory, and relentless loss of soldiers for some abstract sense of security.

If America decides to invade, it would first of all have to sell Canada as imminent threat to their security to the American people, which would be a hard sell. But in answer to the question, the only way win against the U.S. is by a war of constant antagonization, never directly confronting the might of U.S. military technology.

Indeed..... not to put down the US, but their military couldn't defeat the Viet Cong, Taliban or Al'Q, whom are using much more inferior technology and weapons at their disposal, and in the Taliban/Al'Q cases, inferior training and combat tactics......

..... Not all their tactics are inferior, because obviously they're doing something right, cuz they're still around.

I see it similar to Soviet Snipers/Sharpshooters targeting German officers, or during the American Revolution, targeting British officers...... in other words, if you can't beat your enemy with conventional approaches, then attack them where they're weakest and gives your underdog forces a chance.

the VietCong setup mines & traps and they used the jungle to their advantage to gradually pick apart their enemy...... Afghans/Taliban in their soviet war and in this war used the mountains to their advantage, as well as using IED's......... in Iraq they used Suicide bombers and car bombs to either target key areas, or just randomly target heavily populated areas to target the civilian population and make them feel they're not safe anywhere, thus making them feel US protection was useless and never gaining trust or support for those occupying their lands.

No matter how big or how powerful someone's military seems, none are 100% perfect and all have their own unique weaknesses that can be taken advantage of.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Alcohol content is higher in Canadian beer than USA.

Thats only true in a few states where they regulate a cap on it. In most states its the same when it comes to mass market brews (Coors, Bud, etc in the US vs Canadian or Blue in Canada). Smaller breweries in both countries are all over the map.

Back to the original debate, there may have been contigencies made back in the 30s (complete planning requires you look at every concievable scenario, no matter how unlikely) but the reality is the US has no reason to invade Canada. The resource argument is bogus because we are willing to sell everything to the US, as evidenced by the CAFTA and NAFTA deals. A Canadian civil war would be more likely, if Quebec ever decided to seperate... or much of Canada fracturing and eventually joining the US on our own.

Last edited: