6. Moncton, N.B.

7. Fredericton, N.B.

8. Winnipeg, Man.

9. Peterborough, Ont.

10. Brandon, Man.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Wonders why people think cities are such great places to live. I don't think so, because they tend to dehumanize people. Besides that, they stink.
I'll stick to the boonies, thanks. You people go on thinking cities are great. :D

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Wonders why people think cities are such great places to live. I don't think so, because they tend to dehumanize people. Besides that, they stink.
I'll stick to the boonies, thanks. You people go on thinking cities are great. :D
I think it has everything to do with where you grow up. If you grow up used to city life, you will likely find the small towns boring. I grew up in a small town where everyone knew everyone. Not everyone was friends with everyone but we all pretty much knew each other. I think big city people tend to think they are always more knowledgeable than country people or small town people but I've often found that to be quite the opposite. I meet these people and they seem to know so little of what is going on in the world. They don't seem to go out a lot because it's so much trouble to do so. On the other hand - sometimes people from small towns really don't pay any attention to anything that isn't happening right in their town so maybe it just equals out. :lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think it has everything to do with where you grow up. If you grow up used to city life, you will likely find the small towns boring. I grew up in a small town where everyone knew everyone. Not everyone was friends with everyone but we all pretty much knew each other. I think big city people tend to think they are always more knowledgeable than country people or small town people but I've often found that to be quite the opposite. I meet these people and they seem to know so little of what is going on in the world. They don't seem to go out a lot because it's so much trouble to do so. On the other hand - sometimes people from small towns really don't pay any attention to anything that isn't happening right in their town so maybe it just equals out. :lol:
You may be right. I'm small town here, too.
I found city people to be cold and suspicious, too. The past 10 years here has seen a lot of people moving here from the coast. They lock doors, begrudge a hello, and look at you as if you are alien when you say hello to them.
I leave my keys in the ignition, we've maybe locked our house doors 2 or 3 times since we moved here. Locals know there's no point in racing down the road in front here because there's a ferry to wait for; transplants race down the road I guess so they can wait longer for it instead of enjoying the scenery.
Besides that, very few city folk even think about their food except whether they like it or not. We grow it here. We appreciate food. We respect that it takes a summer to grow most of it and we have to weed the gardens and stuff. It's too easy to forget about where food comes from if you go to the supermarket to grab a plastic tray of it.
Rural folk will join you if they see you having a coffee in the cafe. City folk will ignore you like the plague. I sure hope that they have friends and are friendly to them. But it seems to me that people living so close to each other display the idea that familiarity breeds contempt. Here, if you want to be alone, you can REALLY be alone. lol (Except for the critters, of course) :D

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Anna,

Hush your mouth girl! You don't want them city folk thinkin' they're missin' out on somethin' now. Next thing ya know our boonies 'll start lookin' like a Torranna suburb. Hell, Nakusp is beginin' to look like Canmore, Alberia with all the new arrivals. Not as bad a s Calgarians, though. At least they are friendly and talk to folk.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You may be right. I'm small town here, too.
I found city people to be cold and suspicious, too. The past 10 years here has seen a lot of people moving here from the coast. They lock doors, begrudge a hello, and look at you as if you are alien when you say hello to them.
I leave my keys in the ignition, we've maybe locked our house doors 2 or 3 times since we moved here. Locals know there's no point in racing down the road in front here because there's a ferry to wait for; transplants race down the road I guess so they can wait longer for it instead of enjoying the scenery.
Besides that, very few city folk even think about their food except whether they like it or not. We grow it here. We appreciate food. We respect that it takes a summer to grow most of it and we have to weed the gardens and stuff. It's too easy to forget about where food comes from if you go to the supermarket to grab a plastic tray of it.
Rural folk will join you if they see you having a coffee in the cafe. City folk will ignore you like the plague. I sure hope that they have friends and are friendly to them. But it seems to me that people living so close to each other display the idea that familiarity breeds contempt. Here, if you want to be alone, you can REALLY be alone. lol (Except for the critters, of course) :D

Lotta truth in what you say Anna. I think there is another dimension to the paranoia & unfriendliness you mention prevalent among big city folk. Personally I'm finding as I age I'm getting more leery about some things and I think the idiot box with all it's negative news tends to make people more cautious and reserved. And then if you happened to get scammed a couple of times, that adds to the paranoia. I'm the kind of guy who likes friendliness without sticking nose into other people's business. I've been mostly a small town guy most of my life. We're moving to VErnon soon, now that's big city. :lol::lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Anna,

Hush your mouth girl! You don't want them city folk thinkin' they're missin' out on somethin' now. Next thing ya know our boonies 'll start lookin' like a Torranna suburb. Hell, Nakusp is beginin' to look like Canmore, Alberia with all the new arrivals. Not as bad a s Calgarians, though. At least they are friendly and talk to folk.

Nakusp is good but my wife found there are only enough stores there to support a three day shopping spree....:lol:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Probably because you haven't experienced the good aspects of a large city.
Toronto for example, has all the negative things you mentioned. But it has good things you never even knew about. It sticks but it also smells really good. The people are cold but they are also the warmest, friendliest folk in the world.

Everything is here. All the bad but all the good too.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Nakusp is good but my wife found there are only enough stores there to support a three day shopping spree....:lol:
Holy Cow! She must look at every item in every store to take three days! I don't shop so I really am not one to talk. I only go into a store if I need something in particular. Much of what I buy, I get on line. Bought most of my motorcycle gear and accessories from Bike Bandit in California. Buy lots of computers and parts on eBay, plus my leather saddlebags and chaps..

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Holy Cow! She must look at every item in every store to take three days! I don't shop so I really am not one to talk. I only go into a store if I need something in particular. Much of what I buy, I get on line. Bought most of my motorcycle gear and accessories from Bike Bandit in California. Buy lots of computers and parts on eBay, plus my leather saddlebags and chaps..

I was exaggerating a tad, but my shopping habits are a bit like yours, pretty much confined to shopping for a pair of jeans and a couple of T shirts at Fields once or twice a year. :lol::lol: