What to do with surpluses?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The surpluses from 1997-2008 totaled $105 billion, and the deficits since 2008 have totaled $160 billion. So according to Finance, we should be back to surpluses next year. With that back drop, when we finally get back to surpluses, what should be done?

Infrastructure development? Health transfers? Broad educational spending? Tax cuts? An Arctic strategy? A fleet of aircraft carriers? A national savings account for rainy days like the 2008 recession? Chip away at the debt? A plan for financing an aging population? Competitive investments in R&D?

Definitely chip away at the debt. A surplus means we're deficit free, not necessarily debt free.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
There is no more pressing issue than debt reduction. Raising taxes is a non starter since it is impossible for people to both save for their retirement, pay their bills and give ever more of their paycheque to the government. Governments are going to have to learn to live within their means. If this means cutting programs that is just too bad. The alternative is to end up like Greece. And that is not fair to our kids.
I'm on board with that, but it shouldn't be at the expense of social programs such as healthcare, education, seniors programs, and vets programs. Martin tried that and now healthcare has taken a massive dive. Canada used to be ranked 5th in the world and within 3 years it tumbled to 39th. Nurses have to deal with scissors that don't cut, patients' meals that are 1/3 the value of convicts meals, etc. (Wifey recently blew out her rotator cuff and is getting an unwelcome eye-opener about healthcare management in BC). Canada's gov'ts seem to be fond of management positions and shy on workers that actually accomplish the work.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A good analogy for Social Programs would be like Cranberry sauce on the Xmas turkey! Nice to have when everything else is paid up.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
There'd be no use for having a gov't if there were no social programs. Take away healthcare, education, pensions, seniors stuff, police, immigration controls, etc. and what's left?

Somalia. I wonder why those that rail against any and all programs don't just move there. It is, after all, their ideal

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
He died because of systemic issues one of which was caused by a lack of funds. The child was not in school he was too underfed and ill to move.

Social workers caseloads are horrendous......why do you think they are burdened with such heavy caseloads?

99.999999% of the people on the planet are on record as being either correctly dead or alive. Messrs Hoffa and D.B. Cooper are a couple of exceptions. With computer technology people are easy to track at minimal expense. Somehow this kid was missed and it WASN'T due to lack of funds. Some bureaucrat was sitting around with his/her finger up the ying yang.

Give me a tax cut and the economy will improve.

Exactly- I know, speaking for myself, when I spend money there is far less waste than when the Gov't. spends it as I have priorites that goes like this, pay bills, buy grub, pay utilities, fund housing, fund H.H. expenses, medical and grooming, fun.

There'd be no use for having a gov't if there were no social programs. Take away healthcare, education, pensions, seniors stuff, police, immigration controls, etc. and what's left?

BINGO- Two relevant things, enacting legislation and being a watchdog for the helpless.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I see no one has pointed out exactly who brought in the surplus and who brought in the deficit. A deficit that more than wiped out the previous surplus.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

The Olympics, G8 and G20 Conferences, NATO, SEATO, the Commonwealth of Nations, the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie, etc. etc. etc.

In times of debt, spending should be focussed on bread and butter matters, and not this fluff.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
BINGO- Two relevant things, enacting legislation and being a watchdog for the helpless.
So the dude with the broken arm can teach his own kids with the textbooks he bought with the money he worked for .......... ooops, except the books were nicked and instead of teaching his kids, he has to detect, catch, and punish the perps himself and that's after he builds the road to the store with the books. And in the meantime, your neighbor hit your car and knocked out the corner of your house and now it's on fire. Yeah, we don't need gov't for anything.

The Olympics, G8 and G20 Conferences, NATO, SEATO, the Commonwealth of Nations, the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie, etc. etc. etc.
Stuff Jerry n Heather Average has no use for .... right.

In times of debt, spending should be focussed on bread and butter matters, and not this fluff.
I agree.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

"It's really not my fault that the concept of sarcasm is completely beyond your grasp"

Nice try, Cannuck, not really so much beyond my grasp, more within the realm of recognition, which I tend to ignore, as a wise man once said "Sarcasm is a weapon of the weak". -:)