What the US looked Like Before the EPA

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
No its not. Give up already Barley Mowatt.
No, it's not silt. You're still the moron.

Friggin' amateurs. You should phone the La Plata County Sheriff's office and give them the benefit of your years of experience in these matters. They've obviously been fooled.

Oh my. Look at all that "silty" water flowing out of an abandoned mine. Yeah, there's no toxic crap there at all.

Yep, if that's silt then green is up and east is banana.

Give up yet? Or do you still want to act like you're 4.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
what an excellent self description!!! ( that's why I thumbed you up for that post)
;)
Your make up lights just came back on eh?

kudos to your mom for finally getting that hydro bill paid

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No, it's not silt. You're still the moron.

Friggin' amateurs. You should phone the La Plata County Sheriff's office and give them the benefit of your years of experience in these matters. They've obviously been fooled.

Oh my. Look at all that "silty" water flowing out of an abandoned mine. Yeah, there's no toxic crap there at all.

Yep, if that's silt then green is up and east is banana.

Give up yet? Or do you still want to act like you're 4.
AMD...

Acid and iron.

The chemistry of oxidation of pyrites, the production of ferrous ions and subsequently ferric ions, is very complex, and this complexity has considerably inhibited the design of effective treatment options.[6]

Although a host of chemical processes contribute to acid mine drainage, pyrite oxidation is by far the greatest contributor. A general equation for this process is:

2FeS2(s) + 7O2(g) + 2H2O(l) = 2Fe2+(aq) + 4SO42−(aq) + 4H+(aq)
The oxidation of the sulfide to sulfate solubilizes the ferrous iron (iron(II)), which is subsequently oxidized to ferric iron (iron(III)):

4Fe2+(aq) + O2(g) + 4H+(aq) = 4Fe3+(aq) + 2H2O(l)
Either of these reactions can occur spontaneously or can be catalyzed by microorganisms that derive energy from the oxidation reaction. The ferric cations produced can also oxidize additional pyrite and reduce into ferrous ions:

FeS2(s) + 14Fe3+(aq) + 8H2O(l) = 15Fe2+(aq) + 2SO42−(aq) + 16H+(aq)
The net effect of these reactions is to release H+, which lowers the pH and maintains the solubility of the ferric ion.

PS Colorado = Color Red in Spanish