What does being Canadian mean to you? (Happy Canada Day!!)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm in a constant state of being overwhelmed these days. It's now settled right in, nestled in my bones, a part of my life.

At least the honey I can eat. Lol.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I note that none of the comments in this thread talk about how good, or important, or significant it is to be a big actor on the world stage, fighting evil and bringing enlightenment to the benighted savages over yonder.

I'm envious.

Happy Canada Day.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What I got so far from this thread is that Canada is the land of flax and honey.... and sheep. No flax or honey where I am. Bear and deer, dogs and beer, but no sheep.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I am a Canadian because my parents immigrated here. I have felt Canadian from childhood even when I was four and we left the country, I kept asking when we were going home. Being Canadian means my parents had the choice of likely ten other countries but they chose carefully and they chose here and they loved it "here" and I am grateful every day that was their choice.

To me Canadian means live and let live. Do whatever you want, whenever you want as long as it harms no one. It means leaving my door unlocked when I take down the garbage. It means speaking to five strangers saying hello on my morning walk. It means chatting about their dog and maybe never seeing them again, but it was a warm exchange. It means being grateful my neighbourhood is safe. It means I have to enter the driveway carefully because the neighbourhood kids play out on the road in front of my driveway and pull wheelies and scream with delight.

It means if I call an ambulance in the middle of the night, they will come, and they will help me and I don't have to worry if I can afford to go to hospital because I don't have health coverage at work. It means one of my neighbours has a heavy French accent, another is Asian, another is from the Netherlands another from Lithuania, another is from Holland and it means we all have something in common even if we don't know each others names...it means we are all grateful to be living HERE in Canada. And if we don't like it, we are free to move because we are unfettered, we are free.

I am so grateful and happy and most of the time proud to be Canadian. I am glad to work in an environment where I hear our anthem everyday and we do have glowing hearts. :canada:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Do you need any help with those restraints?
I don't think he meant these:
these are for personal use

apologies, in keeping with the theme of the thread...this colour should have been used:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't think he meant these:
these are for personal use

apologies, in keeping with the theme of the thread...this colour should have been used:

And the colored girls go: Doo do doo, doo do doo, doo do doo

Basically, "the look" would have been a greater help. Two arms, two legs and walking means able-bodied
PM me. I'll be an advocate for you.

I note that none of the comments in this thread talk about how good, or important, or significant it is to be a big actor on the world stage, fighting evil and bringing enlightenment to the benighted savages over yonder.

I'm envious.

Happy Canada Day.
When you've won the lotto you don't bitch about it.