Were Residential Schools Effective in Destroying First

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Yes,you are right.I stand corrected. In my defense though,the schools before 1930 and after 1960 were few in number and few in students. Also,throughout the early years,residential had many meanings,not what we consider the residential schools that allegedly caused so much hardship.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
I don't really loose in my argument. I really have two ideas going did natives keep their culture even during residential schools or was it effective and destroy it or most of it and is that is why we have the condition today.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Yes,you are right.I stand corrected. In my defense though,the schools before 1930 and after 1960 were few in number and few in students. Also,throughout the early years,residential had many meanings,not what we consider the residential schools that allegedly caused so much hardship.

No in the 1930s, there was still 46 to 72 depends on what someone considers a residential school going on. 16 I believe in B.C I found in one of my articles, and with roughly 200 children each school about 25,000 students or less.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
SO just to inform everyone my argument is I am proposing that

Residential Schools there main objective was to destroy Indigenous culture and were they successful or did Aboriginals adapt to keep their culture.

Now I know I don't expect to see either two extremes but I have seen a little bit of both so far for both sides of the argument and it will depend on the reader.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
I agree. Now to note Hidden From History, states that 50,000 people died in these schools. So I have been looking at the other books, and some of the others have stated about T.B deaths and some beating deaths, one book for a whole five pages recounted how one little girl was beaten by one nun than after hitting a second she was beaten by both nuns. Then she was beaten by the principle and then taken to the medical center on the third floor where she later died.

So people did die at these places but then there is the other side of it as well.

And this is kind of what I am not looking at, the murder and deaths have been documented I am looking to see if Residential schools were successful or not in their objective and some state so especially with parenting for Aboriginal people today and some say no.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The difficult part is comparing to what? How do you know what the culture would be today without the residential school program? Are they more assimiliated than they were 100 years ago or more? Would they not be more assimiliated anyway? Would it be the right thing to do to completely segregate Native Indians from our education system in order to preserve culture? Would they benefit from that? Only speculation and conjecture can answer the questions.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
The difficult part is comparing to what? How do you know what the culture would be today without the residential school program? Are they more assimiliated than they were 100 years ago or more? Would they not be more assimiliated anyway? Would it be the right thing to do to completely segregate Native Indians from our education system in order to preserve culture? Would they benefit from that? Only speculation and conjecture can answer the questions.

Well for some Aboriginals this assimilations didn't start to the 1930s so they would be able to hear the stories from their elders and if it did survive they ca explain it to the children of today.

But you do raise good points and it can be difficult to figure out the what, when, why, where and who did it back then and how it could be the same if Residential schools never touched them or if somthing even heinous would have been thought up by authorities if Residential schools were created.

Hopefully some information can be answered aleast a few questions.