Wear Red for Our Troops

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Re: RE: Wear Red for Our Troo

mabudon said:
AND actually referenced, like the "homecoming football game" thing...

You are right, I missed that the first time I read the article. Makes it look more like a Canadianized copy of an original American based post.

I don't ever recall the term 'homecoming game' being used in Canada. But my sons 100lb football team sure had it's homecoming game down here :p

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
RED

RED for apples plucked from the tree
RED for the roses you give to me
RED for early morning sunrise
RED for tired sleepy eyes

RED for maple leaves in the fall
RED for my sweater in the hall
RED for romance and valentines
RED for traffic lights and stop signs

RED for poison ivy rash
RED for your cheeks when you blush
RED for strawberries. RED for wine
RED for grapes still on the vine

RED for economic loss
RED for the player being sent off
RED for anger. RED for blood
RED for the devil and the presence of God

RED for herrings that lead us astray
RED for sunset at the end of the day
RED for liberal. RED for fire
RED for heat and sensual desire.
RED for RED Cross and exit signs
RED for hearts that have been crying

RED for the lips that kiss you goodbye
RED for a flag draped on the coffin when you die

RED

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I don't understand what the red is about but with this lot not much makes sence anyway, overall I like the idea, it'll make it easy to distingish those who should be beat up on friday nights, the beer sometimes makes it difficult to determine the enemy so painting them red is great.
Last friday night I was at a house and there was a guy wearing a red golf type shirt with a little American flag over left breast, for about two hours the group was discussing the American problem, at the end of the evening as he was leaving and we were shaking hands he made me aware of the red shirt campaign, I hadn't noticed or thought anything about it till he made the explaination, he was embarassed about the little yank flag and was trying to cover it with his hand, said he would read some more about the situation, I believe he will. I believe many Canadians will try to become more aware of geopolitical affairs, so the red shirt campaign can't help the neo-con cause at all , it can only raise more questions and more exchange of information. :)

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
RE: Wear Red for Our Troo

I have no problem "supporting the troops." I have a friend in the Calgary Highlanders that will most likely be going over to Afghanistan next year. The problem, like so many others have said, is the adjectives that are part of this email.

Most likely, I'll be putting a yellow ribbon on my car, but I will not wear red if this is the reason for it.

Ultra-nationalism.

*spit*

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Thinking about this red thing over a nice sleep.

Kind of funny how politics from the right-wingers gets involved again since I am one of those left-winger supporter guys. However, its kind of funny that we have no background on this movement if you would like to call it that.

It's not based on the ribbon group as Mogz has stated.

Don't like the comments to do with 'god', 'red-blooded' and such like that, brings up memories that other people like caracel kid and others have suggested. Very suspicious group.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Wear Red for Our Troo

If you want to support the troops, plaster a yellow ribbon magnet or sticker on your bumper. Tie a yellow ribbon to your antena or porch light. Get a sign that says "Proudly Supporting Our Canadian Forces". There is no alterior motive, no religious over-tones, just the plain fact that you support the men and women in uniform. Speaking as one of many, we appreciate the support we get from the public, it means a lot to us.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Exactly. What Mogz said. Not politcal, not religious, is good for all of Canada, except for ultranationalists and for people who don't support the mission.

But they shouldn't be too bothered anyway.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Yellow Ribbon
Yellow Lemons and Daffodils
Happiness, Peace
Taxicabs, Schoolbuses
All out of reach

Yellow for journalism that makes you go blind
Yellow barbituates break up the grind
Yellow peril to scare up your mind

Yellow to warn you of trouble ahead
Yellow for cancer that keeps you in bed
Yellow for mellow as the song used to say
Yellow for AC-2 subs to keep danger at bay

Yellow for players cautioned on the field
Yellow for cowards who know death is quite real
Yellow for smiles you dont really feel

Yellow for cavalry
Yellow for gold
Yellow's a colour that's really quite bold.

Pick Yellow.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Some of you are absolutely amazing. There was no political overtones to this thread, it was meant as something to recognise our troops. I don't know why red was chosen, and could care less. I did not invent it, I simply passed it along as a way to recognise our troops.

For those of you who think God should not have been mentioned, get over it. If you don't believe, fine, no one is pissed at you, so don't get pissed when God is mentioned by others.

For those of you who think this is an American thing, so what if it is? Don't any of you have anything better to do with your sorry selves than try to find any way possible to blame the US for every little trifiling thing in your life.

Wear red, or don't. I could really give a rats ass. I will, without any political, religious, or pro-American bias. I will wear red simply to acknowledge and show my respect for our troops.

For shame for those of you who want to make this something more than it is. It is nothing more, and nothing less, than it was originally intended, and for any of you to make something else out of it is despicable.

God Bless Canada and God Bless our troops.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
[i said:
bluealberta[/i]]Some of you are absolutely amazing. There was no political overtones to this thread, it was meant as something to recognise our troops. I don't know why red was chosen, and could care less. I did not invent it, I simply passed it along as a way to recognise our troops.
Many of the membership here at Canadian Content come here, in particular, to engage in discussions and debates of a political nature. Some members choose to carry this into each and every thread (I know that I, for one, have done so inappropriately at times in the past, and perhaps even now). However, I don't think that this exhibits any inherent disrespect toward the subject matter of the thread-in-question.

[i said:
bluealberta[/i]]For those of you who think God should not have been mentioned, get over it. If you don't believe, fine, no one is pissed at you, so don't get pissed when God is mentioned by others.
Agreed; there is no reason for the membership to be apprehensive of the mentioning of God in any particular threads, whether or not such mentions happen to be in one of the faith or religion-based forums, or not. Mentioning God isn't hurting anyone, and this isn't being drafted into a legislative document of sorts, so I don't see why anyone would take any issue over something like this.

[i said:
bluealberta[/i]]For those of you who think this is an American thing, so what if it is? Don't any of you have anything better to do with your sorry selves than try to find any way possible to blame the US for every little trifiling thing in your life.
I think I may have elaborated my opinion on this matter in a thread at the other place, in terms of the Leader of the New Democratic Party of Canada. One should make opinions for one's self in one's own best interests, rather than making decisions based on whatever the United States of America may, or may not, happen to be doing at the time.

[i said:
bluealberta[/i]]Wear red, or don't. I could really give a rats ass. I will, without any political, religious, or pro-American bias. I will wear red simply to acknowledge and show my respect for our troops.
I wore red today, and I think yesterday, too; after reading this thread (twice), I would have had something on my conscience had I chosen not to. I mean, I haven't marched through the corridors of my school screaming "support the Canadian Forces", or anything, but it's more something for myself, having read this thread. I won't be able to do that tomorrow, though (hehe, I don't have any red shirts left).

[i said:
bluealberta[/i]]For shame for those of you who want to make this something more than it is. It is nothing more, and nothing less, than it was originally intended, and for any of you to make something else out of it is despicable.
I agree entirely; there are times when issues such as these transcend partisanship, and this is quite definitely one of them. Supporting one intervention or another is something quite subjective, and citizens of Canada should be free to support or oppose such interventions as they would see appropriate in their own opinions — however, support for the members of the Forces, and respect for their dedication to the Crown and its subjects (to coin more historic terms) is a necessity.

[i said:
bluealberta[/i]]God Bless Canada and God Bless our troops.
I may not be a Christian, but the sentiment is certainly there.

Hear, hear!

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Five, you know, despite our political differences, I absolutely respect the hell out of you. (Don' get any ideas, though, okay?!!)

Your comments are very well noted, and I thank you for them. I was just floored when I read all the political and religous responses to something I thought was an easy way to recognise our troops. Too bad it got out of hand, but thanks for your thoughts on the issue.

I hear what you say about shirts, I had to go buy another one so I can wear it to work tomorrow!

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hehe, I likely would have considered buying a new shirt, but unfortunately I have to save up for the various graduation activities happening around here at the moment... FiveParadox sighs, exhausted. Whoever decided that things in this world should cost money, should be shot. :)

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Wear Red for Our Troops

FiveParadox said:
Hehe, I likely would have considered buying a new shirt, but unfortunately I have to save up for the various graduation activities happening around here at the moment... FiveParadox sighs, exhausted. Whoever decided that things in this world should cost money, should be shot. :)

Yeah, I think that Star Trek world made a lot of sense, no money, no tax, etc etc.......