Wealthy really are different, and not in a nice way: study

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I wasn't referring to equipment. I hear that returning vets, particularly wounded, their families and the families of the dead service people are grossly neglected and care is underfunded. Although I also hear Big Brother Steve is trying to rectify that, I have not heard if it is just propaganda or if it is actually happening.

Well the outgoing Liberals changed the Veterans Affairs Pension Act (which was already a debacle) so that wounded soldiers get a lump sum instead of a pension. Sounds good exceptr if your legs are blown off you might get $250,000 and the big cya. A quarter mill won't buy you a house with proper wheelchair ramps or bath/shower units. It is quite disgusting and as for big brother Steve, well he has his work cut out for him sorting that out and I won't believe it until I see it.

Soldiers leaving the military have been treated quite unfairly and although the bureaucracy is the biggest obstacle, the public shoulders a good part of the blame for their ignorance and indifference. I have been beating the drum for change since 1998 and sadly even the Veterans groups can't seem to find unity.

Politicians [Left or Right] love photo-ops, but rarely do they actually dig in and change crap without extreme public pressure.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Well the outgoing Liberals changed the Veterans Affairs Pension Act (which was already a debacle) so that wounded soldiers get a lump sum instead of a pension. Sounds good exceptr if your legs are blown off you might get $250,000 and the big cya. A quarter mill won't buy you a house with proper wheelchair ramps or bath/shower units. It is quite disgusting and as for big brother Steve, well he has his work cut out for him sorting that out and I won't believe it until I see it.

Soldiers leaving the military have been treated quite unfairly and although the bureaucracy is the biggest obstacle, the public shoulders a good part of the blame for their ignorance and indifference. I have been beating the drum for change since 1998 and sadly even the Veterans groups can't seem to find unity.

Politicians [Left or Right] love photo-ops, but rarely do they actually dig in and change crap without extreme public pressure.
Precisely what I thought you were referring to.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Bill Gates seems to be a pretty generous person, he's given hundreds of millions to various causes.

Actually billions. But given US inheritance taxes he might just want to put it someplace he chooses rather than having the government do it when he is dead.