We Can’t Let John Deere Destroy the Very Idea of Ownership

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What's the matter Fairy Mason? Explain in full how remapping an electronic control unit on my tractor is breaking copywrite rather just voiding my warranty. Would a remapping JD tractor to be more efficient and extending the service life give me a resale edge over box stock OEM?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
What's the matter Fairy Mason? Explain in full how remapping an electronic control unit on my tractor is breaking copywrite rather just voiding my warranty. Would a remapping JD tractor to be more efficient and extending the service life give me a resale edge over box stock OEM?
Piece of piss. I'll just jargonize to show my real big d*ck, like you do, mmm-kay?

It's "copyright," not "copywrite." So I guess you've just demonstrated, by your own standard, that you don't know what you're talking about.

Sorry, "aboot."

See? Didn't that work great?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You don't have a f-cking clue what is being discussed.
Good. If you don't have anything to add, repeat yourself. It'll prove your superior knowledge of intellectual property law, despite your inability to spell "copyright."

You're really showing me up here.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Am I breaking copyright if I pull a factory installed hard drive with windows in a Toshiba laptop and drop in a hard drive with ubuntu? Does Toshiba own the laptop to begin with? How could they own if I bought it free and clear?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Copyright law prevents protected material from being republished and sold as new. People own books that they purchase, they can make margin notes on them. They can sell them to used bookstores for resale. They cannot take that material and republish it without compensation to (and usually permission of) the author (the same applies with music). And the same applies to coded material.

A buyer is not permitted to republish codes in other formats or media for profit. But that is as far as copyright law takes you. It is ownership of the abstract intellectual commodity... not the concrete medium on which it is printed that is protected. John Deere will get nowhere if that's what they are implying.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Am I breaking copyright if I pull a factory installed hard drive with windows in a Toshiba laptop and drop in a hard drive with ubuntu? Does Toshiba own the laptop to begin with? How could they own if I bought it free and clear?
That's a very good question. Why don't you tell us the answer, since we've established that you're the intellectual property expert hereabouts.