Vote in southern U.S. state bans gay marriages

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Voters in North Carolina Tuesday approved a state constitutional amendment forbidding gay marriages, civil unions and domestic partnerships, still divisive social issues in the United States.

The measure was passed by 61 per cent against 39 per cent, according to preliminary results from the North Carolina State Board of Elections.

Similar state constitutional amendments have been approved in some 30 U.S. states.

The amendment solidifies and expands already enacted North Carolina law forbidding same-sex marriage.

President Barack Obama has recently come under greater pressure to clarify his position on gay marriage, after Vice-President Joe Biden stressed that he personally was fully comfortable with it.

Money from national interest groups poured into North Carolina ahead of the election — the National Organization for Marriage which opposes gay unions contributed $425,000 to the Vote for Marriage campaign, according to the latest reports.

The Human Rights Campaign contributed some $257,000 to the opposition, the Coalition to Protect All N.C. Families.

"This overwhelming support for marriage is clearly the reason why President Obama and liberal congressional candidates across the country have not expressed open support for same-sex marriage," Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, said in a statement. "They know that redefining marriage remains a losing position in mainstream American politics."

The Reverend Billy Graham, an evangelical preacher who was born and lives in North Carolina and at 93 remains enormously influential, took out full-page newspaper ads across the state supporting the ban.

"At 93, I never thought we would have to debate the definition of marriage," Graham said in the ads.

"The Bible is clear: God’s definition of marriage is between a man and a woman."

On the other side, former president Bill Clinton and his ex-chief of staff, Erskine Bowles, a North Carolina native, recorded telephone messages to voters urging them to oppose the measure. In a statement, President Barack Obama’s campaign also opposed the amendment.

"The passage of Amendment One is a profound injustice. Singling out a class of citizens for discriminatory treatment is unfair, unlawful and violates basic American values," said Adam Umhoefer with the American Foundation for Equal Rights, a leading U.S. group supporting gay marriage, after the vote.

There are now tens of thousands of same-sex couples in several U.S. states and the District of Columbia who are legally married where they live.

A Pew Research Center Survey last month found that 47 per cent of Americans now favor allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry — well up from 39 per cent in 2008 and 31 per cent in 2004. Forty-three per cent remain opposed.

EDIT: Posted in CAD subforum by accident. Please move to U.S. subforum. Thanks.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Couldn't find one that said right wing Christian fundies.

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006
This is to safeguard against future North Carolinans coming to their senses.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I see that it may be construed that I was respond to him but I was responding to the OP. Lib dude is rarely worthy of response.

and I was pointing out that liberaldummy is an atheist with a similar few of Gay's as those you mentioned.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Voters in North Carolina Tuesday approved a state constitutional amendment forbidding gay marriages, civil unions and domestic partnerships, still divisive social issues in the United States.

The measure was passed by 61 per cent against 39 per cent, according to preliminary results from the North Carolina State Board of Elections.

Well, it's certainly democratic if nothing else. I have absolutely no problem with what North Carolinians want. However I do think it's rather silly. Why not pair off people off the "normal grid" with similar people. I do agree in that they are NOT "marriages", but that is getting into semantics. I'm also not satisfied that people sticking their noses into other peoples' living arrangements is democratic.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
.. And what is that really supposed to mean Cliffy?.. That your individual and selective views on all religions are to be generalized with one sweeping statement?

It makes perfect sense to me Capt. God knows ya can't SUCK AND BLOW AT THE SAME TIME..........................LOL.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
and what Canadian Province would that be?

Sitting here waiting for liberaldummy to show his stupidity.......again.

As far as I know liberaldummy is an atheist.

Hey, Ger, I bet even dumb old me can guess what province he's thinking.......................surprised you would have to ask..........LOL

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Hey, Ger, I bet even dumb old me can guess what province he's thinking.......................surprised you would have to ask..........LOL

Oh, I know which province he is implying. I live here. I would still like to see him confirm his stupidity and name it though.